How to ride DH safely and WIN!

PB Forum :: Downhill
How to ride DH safely and WIN!
Posted: Aug 19, 2018 at 16:31 Quote
So I have been riding park alot this year been up 7 times with an average of 7-10 runs a day which is about 28-40kms of trails. The issue I have is I'm burning through brake pads I went thru a set of finned icetech pads and now I'm about half way thru a set of non finned I run sintered pads and I'm just curious what everyone's braking techniques are to minimize brake wear, besides the obvious don't brake

Posted: Aug 19, 2018 at 16:59 Quote
soulless wrote:
So I have been riding park alot this year been up 7 times with an average of 7-10 runs a day which is about 28-40kms of trails. The issue I have is I'm burning through brake pads I went thru a set of finned icetech pads and now I'm about half way thru a set of non finned I run sintered pads and I'm just curious what everyone's braking techniques are to minimize brake wear, besides the obvious don't brake

Brake pad life shouldn't be your concern while bombing a dh run really. Just buy a lot of them in bulk (aliexpress if shimano)

brake late and hard before corners without skidding.

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 2:15 Quote
Try with finned pads as they have a much longer life and keep cooler temps. Brake only where it is needed, use the terrain - bumps, roots to slow down your speed and do not keep on the brakes all the time but only where it is needed.
Brake hard and late as per the other rider`s advises.
Tweak your modulation and levers for a better comfort.

Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 6:28 Quote
How to solve the more fear you feel when you are older? Since I was 35 I'm more afraid when riding without reason

Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 18:04 Quote
norfiril wrote:
How to solve the more fear you feel when you are older? Since I was 35 I'm more afraid when riding without reason

Just ride at your own pace. I've found its a lot better to push it a little over time rather than pushing hard, crashing and getting injured where then you have to gain all that speed back up if that makes sense, and that's just my take.

Posted: Aug 23, 2018 at 19:01 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
norfiril wrote:

Just ride at your own pace. I've found its a lot better to push it a little over time rather than pushing hard, crashing and getting injured where then you have to gain all that speed back up if that makes sense, and that's just my take.

Thanks for the advice and I also agree with you.

The thing is that I'm afraid of doing stuff which I was doing without problem like 2 years ago. Every time I train I think too much about the chances of crashing (don't know why) and that makes me ride more stiff and in a defensive way

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 18:06 Quote
Troy Lee Designs or Fox Racing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp-HlIWjYk4

Posted: Oct 2, 2018 at 9:27 Quote
60ndown wrote:
lol,

3. Stay focused and try not to concentrate or think while you are going at high speed
It's best if you shut your eyes as well.

Posted: Oct 5, 2018 at 8:10 Quote
cains08 wrote:
60ndown wrote:
lol,

3. Stay focused and try not to concentrate or think while you are going at high speed
It's best if you shut your eyes as well.

Big Grin

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 at 18:23 Quote
Question. I've never thought about where, or how hard to brake before corners or features while I'm riding. Can anyone experienced shed some light on this?

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 at 19:04 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
Question. I've never thought about where, or how hard to brake before corners or features while I'm riding. Can anyone experienced shed some light on this?

contrary to what most people will tell you, braking in corners to correct lines is not that bad, but I would stay away from touching the front brake. subtle rear brake drag can help you straighten out or shift the rear wheel. generally do your braking before the corner though, as it allows you to carry more speed out of it.

Posted: Oct 17, 2018 at 12:51 Quote
Thanks for your great share.

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 7:24 Quote
norfiril wrote:

Im 54 and only started downhill 4 months ago, my fear is 1 high speed crash and I will never ride again. but that didn't stop me chasing a 14 year old down a mountain full speed yesterday.

YOYL motha phukka Big Grin

Posted: Feb 3, 2019 at 7:47 Quote
I made this in 2008 and havent looked at this thread for at least 10 years. Blows my mind that it is at the top of the DH section, sticky'd with 2000+ replies WOW.
I have spent the last 12 year flying Paragliders around the globe, travelling and recently turned 30. Now thinking about getting back into bikes, and I see how far this idea came. I am very happy to see so many people have contributed and hopefully found the tips in this thread useful. To all those that private messaged me and didnt get a reply all this time, sorry about that.
All the best in 2019 and onward,
Roger

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022559
Mobile Version of Website