Sect or Stitched?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Sect or Stitched?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 6:00 Quote
Hi folks,

I'm too old for this, but still am planning to buy a nice little dirt jumper.

Having been out of the bike world for a few years, can anyone suggest a good one? I've seen two I like - Sect and Stitched, both around the same price mark. Is one better than the other?

Any advice would be appreciated !

cheers

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 19:48 Quote
I might be too old for this too but whatever man, I'm having a blast. If I were you I would look at the stuff by NS. Dirt jumping is their pedigree, and it's a lot easier to find their stuff in Great Britain than in the States. Either the Decade (aluminum), or Majesty (steel), if you aren't opposed to building a bike. Or if you are after a complete bike then their Metropolis or Movement.

I think both of those bikes you mentioned would be great too. It comes down to steel (DMR Sect) vs aluminum (Canyon Stitched). People say steel is a bit more forgiving and pleasant to ride, while aluminum is a bit lighter, and also stiffer, so theoretically the bike will not lose energy while popping off of jumps. I think you have to be pretty experienced to notice the difference. Steel tubes are also slimmer, so you get a bike with a more classic look.

Another thing to consider is the size, Canyon offers two sizes, while DMR offers one size, which looks comparable to a large Canyon Stitched.

The Canyon comes with some nice components Raceface or Truvativ cranks, raceface cockpit, and Manitou Circus Sport or Pike DJ Forks, depending on which model you get. Manitou makes probably the most widely used DJ forks, and the Rockshox Pike DJ is top of the line. Also Sram Level breaks, which are surprisingly good in my experience. The Sect comes with a lot of DMR components. I don't know how those stand up, but it's a reputable company with riders like Fairclough so I reckon they will get the job done just fine.The forks on the Sect are X-fusion, which don't I don't know much about. Now that I've typed all of this, my vote is for the Stitched, but just buy one and get out there! Hope that helped.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 14:07 Quote
Hey thanks for the advice, really useful !

I have actually just realised that all bikes are sold out everywhere - I guess all that new-found furlough wealth was diverted to the bike industry over recent months lol.

I hear you on the NS Bikes - I do like the Movement for sure! And they have a damn good rep too from what I can gather.

Having thought on this, I'm now leaning to building something up from scratch - yes it would be a bit more, but seeing as almost everything is sold out, I think this may be my only option. And fun too..

I'm now thinking about a Sect 24" frame, because i dig those X) - and they are available. But, I also wanted rigid forks, but it looks like the Sect has a tapered headset, and I don't know if you can get tapered rigids..? WDYT?

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 21:00 Quote
Get the Stitched 360 which is showing in stock at the moment,

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 15:50 Quote
Good luck, I hope you were able to snag that Stitched 360! That thing is sick. It looks like they aren't shipping till March/June at the moment. I guess bike sales are at a record high with Covid. I think you can get an NS Decade or Suburban frame from Wiggle right now.

I don't know about 24". I'd really like to build a 24" NS Capital for street riding when they become available, but for your first DJ bike I would think 26" would be more stable, versatile and an all around better choice. I would search for a few pages on google, not just the first page with major retailers. And for a few different bikes. You may get lucky with smaller shops. Also if you are in a big city then finding a used DJ is definitely possible.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 16:38 Quote
Sooo ... in contravention of the title of this post, I just paid over cash for a NS Metro 1.

Super Stoked!

Thanks again for the advice Matt Smile I do really like those NS Capitals ..

Thanks also Fuzzy, the Stiched 360 was indeed in stock, but I don't know what happened .. I just saw the Metropolis and thought YEP hahaha Slight discount too, so ... trainers X)

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 8:58 Quote
I would definetely go with the stitched.

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 9:27 Quote
I have the stitched 360 (non pro version) and I love it, pretty cheap and Great parts for the price, in my opinion it’s a great starter dirt jumper

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007999
Mobile Version of Website