Trek Slash Rear shock sucks

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trek Slash Rear shock sucks
Previous Page |
Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 14:03 Quote
Does anyone know how to keep the stupid reactive shock from bottoming out? It keeps breaking my rims on rough terrain. Also, is there a way to switch to a coil? Thanks!

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 14:18 Quote
Put more air in? Use tokens? Lose weight?

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 5:10 Quote
Reid2905 wrote:
Does anyone know how to keep the stupid reactive shock from bottoming out? It keeps breaking my rims on rough terrain. Also, is there a way to switch to a coil? Thanks!
The same way as any other shock...more air, tokens, different tune, reshiming etc. Switch to coil will not necesary solve this, coil can be bottomed out also (depends on bike leverage design).

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 13:46 Quote
i had a 2019 9.8 slash, i was about 108kgs at the time and i think i bottomed that shock once on a huge drop i didnt realize was as big as it was(anther reason to ride slow on blinders)
My shock was setup on the softer side for sure and was probably a bit too stiff for most of my riding.

You need to setup the shock properly - the exact thing i believe most struggled at with reactiv and thrushaft. but they would rather hate something than put in the effort to understand and setup properly.

Maybe try trek's suspension calc and/or the suggestions others have pointed out.

If you give up trying to understand, buy the new slash, its a great bike - like seriously good.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 18:58 Quote
are you sure you arent getting your PSI and KPa mixed up?

how heavy are you and what pressure are you running?

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 5:45 Quote
what tyre pressures though? the last few mm on the shock should be used in big landings, not too often.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 13:04 Quote
Reid2905 wrote:

I agree with everyone else in saying the setup is likely the culprit. I will say that I was never happy with the rear end performance of my 18’Slash. I run a Meta AM29 now with a Super Deluxe Ultimate and it’s night and day difference. I’d be curious if a new rear shock would help in making it feel better if you still aren’t happy with it after it’s properly set up.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 15:06 Quote
I don't think he's coming back, guys.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 21:26 Quote
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
Well I’m only about 135 pounds and it’s pumped up to the max.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 21:28 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
i had a 2019 9.8 slash, i was about 108kgs at the time and i think i bottomed that shock once on a huge drop i didnt realize was as big as it was(anther reason to ride slow on blinders)
My shock was setup on the softer side for sure and was probably a bit too stiff for most of my riding.

You need to setup the shock properly - the exact thing i believe most struggled at with reactiv and thrushaft. but they would rather hate something than put in the effort to understand and setup properly.

Maybe try trek's suspension calc and/or the suggestions others have pointed out.

If you give up trying to understand, buy the new slash, its a great bike - like seriously good.

It’s pumped up to the max. There’s no more effort to put in. I also can’t replace The shock because of the mounting hardware.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 21:29 Quote
MrZ32 wrote:
are you sure you arent getting your PSI and KPa mixed up?

how heavy are you and what pressure are you running?

I’m sure. I tried pumping it up to max and it’s still blowing through on big hits.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 21:42 Quote
You can run a super deluxe from a mega tower on your slash. I’ve seen a few people do it.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 23:35 Quote
Petiloi wrote:
You can run a super deluxe from a mega tower on your slash. I’ve seen a few people do it.

It is same dimensions but requires different hardware. I 'm going with a Jade X soon, will see how that goes.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 23:45 Quote
Reid2905 wrote:
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
Well I’m only about 135 pounds and it’s pumped up to the max.

Either something in that statement is a lie, or you need to get your shock into a shop and ask them to look at a warranty process as what you’ve said doesn’t add up.

The shock will take either 275 or 325 psi max (can’t quite remember), I ran at 240psi and I weigh 200lbs and rarely bottomed out.

Or you’re bucking 50ft drops to flat..

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 0:24 Quote
Your setup isn't the issue. Reaktiv shocks are designed to have lots of damping to resist pedaling. Then have nothing. So they blow through travel and into the end of the stroke. Sending force spikes through everything.

It's not practical to convert them to behave like a normal shock. We do a steady trade at Shockcraft with the Deaktiv pin kits so you can fit any 230x60mm shock in place of the Trunnion Reaktiv.

Bomber CR is a favourite coil upgrade.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006877
Mobile Version of Website