27.5 Funduro Bike - Patrol or Spectral?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
27.5 Funduro Bike - Patrol or Spectral?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 22:42 Quote
So, the time has come for me to part ways with my Meta AM 29. I built it up last year for the sole purpose of enduro racing, and it served me extremely well, but it's time to move on. I wont be racing much (if at all) for the foreseeable future. Just kinda burned out on it and want to enjoy riding for the fun of it.

Outside of the context of racing, I realized that my Meta is not a very fun bike. It's fast, durable, and plows through anything - but it weighs almost 38 pounds, jumps like dookie, and is extremely boring on anything other than chunky, steep descents. I'm no means a weight weenie either, but it really does suck to lug around on long rides that don't involve a large amount of hike-a-bike and waiting 15 minutes at the top to start each stage.

I'm looking for a 27.5 "funduro" bike that can go all day pretty much anywhere, and be my daily driver for the next 3-4 years.

I ride rocky, chunky, sketchy east coast enduro-type stuff mostly (I live in PA), but I have mellow flow trails 10 minutes from my house that I'd like to take more advantage of. Also theres the occasional bike park trips, and VT trips 2-3 times a year.

I'm 5'8", 185lbs without gear, and ride pretty heavy. I break things a lot.

I want something that can handle the chunk when I need it to, but can still be fun and lively without being an absolute slug to climb/pedal on more mellow stuff, or on days where I need to put in 3000-5000 ft of climbing without a ton of stopping. Must also jump well!

My picks so far. Budget is around $5k:

Transition Patrol Carbon GX - fits probably the majority of what I ride, but I'm concerned it might be a little too much bike for mellow trails and all day pedaling. Even with carbon, it'll be close to 34lbs with pedals, I'm afraid I'll be in the same boat I was in with my Meta.

Canyon Spectral CF 9.0 - amazing parts kit, lightest option, best value. Only concern is investing in geometry that seems like a solid 3-4 years behind (HTA, STA, etc all seem not very progressive).

I'm stuck between the Patrol and Spectral at this point, leaning towards Patrol. Any insight would be incredible. Everything I've demo'd this year was at a bike park, wasn't able to get a good handle on pedaling manners.

TL;DR - not stoked on my Meta AM 29 anymore, too beefy and not very fun. Want a flickable, versatile 27.5 bike that can handle the sketch but also pedal somewhat decent. I ride mostly sketchy, chunky east coast stuff with the odd flow trail mixed in. Currently deciding between the Transition Patrol Carbon GX and Canyon Spectral CF 9.0.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 3:26 Quote
On a 2019 carbon gx patrol. Get it, it's fun everywhere. 5k big days, quick jump sessions, steep chunk. You can get a dpx2 for cheap to drop some weight too. You would probably be happy with the new scout too, it's 95% as capable as the current patrol, but a bit more playful. Lifetime warranty is a pretty big deal if you break shit.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 5:03 Quote
d542east wrote:
On a 2019 carbon gx patrol. Get it, it's fun everywhere. 5k big days, quick jump sessions, steep chunk. You can get a dpx2 for cheap to drop some weight too. You would probably be happy with the new scout too, it's 95% as capable as the current patrol, but a bit more playful. Lifetime warranty is a pretty big deal if you break shit.

Thanks man. I’m really leaning towards the Patrol. Its definitely built with the spirit I had in mind. How does it handle flatter flow trails? Don’t expect it to be perfect, just still wanna be able to have some fun at my local spot down the road. My Meta handles them like a boxcar.

The scout might be the better versatile choice, just worried it may be a tad underbiked for the bike park. I’m closer to 190 with gear, 140 in the rear makes me nervous even with the new geometry. I demo’d a 5010 this year, and could not stop blowing through the travel no matter what, that was 130 though. I usually have to run my stuff pretty stiff even with 150-160 bikes I’ve always had (Capra, Process, and now my Meta). Not a major part of my riding, but I usually find myself there 1-2 times a month.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 9:34 Quote
I don't have a ton of experience with flatter flow trails where I live (PNW), but I came from a 2016 scout and while it's not as jibby, it's definitely been worth the trade off. Blown out, brake bumped flow trails are better with the patrol. Also more confidence to go too deep or survive casing jumps.

I just turn the LSC up when I ride pump track or for long gravel climbs.

It's a game changing bike, just incredibly confidence inspiring, you won't be disappointed.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 9:44 Quote
Revel Rail. Really good build for the price and the CBF suspension.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 10:25 Quote
justinmariano wrote:
So, the time has come for me to part ways with my Meta AM 29. I built it up last year for the sole purpose of enduro racing, and it served me extremely well, but it's time to move on. I wont be racing much (if at all) for the foreseeable future. Just kinda burned out on it and want to enjoy riding for the fun of it.

Outside of the context of racing, I realized that my Meta is not a very fun bike. It's fast, durable, and plows through anything - but it weighs almost 38 pounds, jumps like dookie, and is extremely boring on anything other than chunky, steep descents. I'm no means a weight weenie either, but it really does suck to lug around on long rides that don't involve a large amount of hike-a-bike and waiting 15 minutes at the top to start each stage.

I'm looking for a 27.5 "funduro" bike that can go all day pretty much anywhere, and be my daily driver for the next 3-4 years.

I ride rocky, chunky, sketchy east coast enduro-type stuff mostly (I live in PA), but I have mellow flow trails 10 minutes from my house that I'd like to take more advantage of. Also theres the occasional bike park trips, and VT trips 2-3 times a year.

I'm 5'8", 185lbs without gear, and ride pretty heavy. I break things a lot.

I want something that can handle the chunk when I need it to, but can still be fun and lively without being an absolute slug to climb/pedal on more mellow stuff, or on days where I need to put in 3000-5000 ft of climbing without a ton of stopping. Must also jump well!

My picks so far. Budget is around $5k:

Transition Patrol Carbon GX - fits probably the majority of what I ride, but I'm concerned it might be a little too much bike for mellow trails and all day pedaling. Even with carbon, it'll be close to 34lbs with pedals, I'm afraid I'll be in the same boat I was in with my Meta.

Canyon Spectral CF 9.0 - amazing parts kit, lightest option, best value. Only concern is investing in geometry that seems like a solid 3-4 years behind (HTA, STA, etc all seem not very progressive).

I'm stuck between the Patrol and Spectral at this point, leaning towards Patrol. Any insight would be incredible. Everything I've demo'd this year was at a bike park, wasn't able to get a good handle on pedaling manners.

TL;DR - not stoked on my Meta AM 29 anymore, too beefy and not very fun. Want a flickable, versatile 27.5 bike that can handle the sketch but also pedal somewhat decent. I ride mostly sketchy, chunky east coast stuff with the odd flow trail mixed in. Currently deciding between the Transition Patrol Carbon GX and Canyon Spectral CF 9.0.

If you wanted something a little out of the box that pedals quite well and is guaranteed to take a beating, knolly's are very good. Have decent, if not super progressive geometry, and their parts kits are pretty nice - lyrik ultimate or fox factory right around that 5k price point, with durable wheels. If you're somebody who breaks a lot of stuff...could be a good option for those east coast tumbles. Not super heavy, either.

The patrol is a fine option. It will be heavy, and having ridden them with both air and coil, I'd stick with the coil on there - not that that's helping with the weight. They pedal fine, but you will get some front end wander and feel the weight on the climbs a bit. Really overkill for the flow trails, but pretty solid for the jank and DH - so just be honest with what your riding split is like.

Other contenders: Giant trance is always a good bang for the buck, and is sub 30 lbs for that 5k pricepoint in the 27.5 size, with a great no-questions-asked warranty. HA is a tad steep, but feels pretty balanced as an overall package.
The new bronson is another bike in this kind of arena, but IMO, parts spec really holds it back at that 5k price point and I just wasn't happy with how short it felt, given the amount of travel. I'd want to size up on that bike, personally.

Not to throw a wrench into the 27.5 thing either, but *some* modern 29ers handle well, jump well, and are an overall hoot. The meta 29er simply isn't one of those, and wasn't designed to be one. Lots of modern 27.5 bikes are last year's pigs, with geo to match and a fresh coat of paint. You really can't trust geometry charts worth a damn, so taking the time and $ to demo, demo, demo when it's time to get a bike for the next 4 years is well worth it.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 11:15 Quote
dirtriding4life wrote:
Revel Rail. Really good build for the price and the CBF suspension.

Second this. I wanted something that would be fun to throw around and also manage well on rocky, chunky and narrow trails while not being a complete pig to take out on multi hour adventures or mellower flowier trails I have around where I live. I ordered mine about a month ago and I can't wait for it to show up

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 12:38 Quote
Santa Cruz Bronson. It can do it all. I tried.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
I'd honestly go with the new transition scout. It is plenty at home on steep and technical trails but is light, playful and agile. I ride a patrol and absolutely love it but unless there is a little bit of speed involved it isnt super lively on flat mellow trails. Just my 2 pennies.

Thanks man. I’m really leaning towards the Patrol. Its definitely built with the spirit I had in mind. How does it handle flatter flow trails? Don’t expect it to be perfect, just still wanna be able to have some fun at my local spot down the road. My Meta handles them like a boxcar.

The scout might be the better versatile choice, just worried it may be a tad underbiked for the bike park. I’m closer to 190 with gear, 140 in the rear makes me nervous even with the new geometry. I demo’d a 5010 this year, and could not stop blowing through the travel no matter what, that was 130 though. I usually have to run my stuff pretty stiff even with 150-160 bikes I’ve always had (Capra, Process, and now my Meta). Not a major part of my riding, but I usually find myself there 1-2 times a month.[/Quote]

You can run the new scout at 150 rear 160 front. With no progression change. Watch the test ride video transition did for the release of the scout. Seriously capable bike!

Thanks for all the input!

I wound up going with the Patrol after all. The Scout was definitely intriguing, but ultimately the Patrol fits my style the most I feel. I also need a bike now, the Scouts are all backordered until winter, I don't want to keep riding my Meta since it's all fresh and ready to sell.

Fingers crossed Transition doesn't drop an all new Patrol frame design in a few weeks...

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005243
Mobile Version of Website