Dissapointed with Rockshox ZEB

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Dissapointed with Rockshox ZEB
Author Message
Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 15:24 Quote
So just attached my shock pump that came with my old Lyrik to it and nothing happens, it doesn't seem compatible as it's not pressing the centre of the valve when screwed on to let any air flow, another one to add to the pile.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 22:31 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
So just attached my shock pump that came with my old Lyrik to it and nothing happens, it doesn't seem compatible as it's not pressing the centre of the valve when screwed on to let any air flow, another one to add to the pile.

Idk man, I would send it off to Rockshox or even have your local shop service it before anything. I think we all know that it’s a great fork, I just think you got a defective one.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 2:20 Quote
Jake-Joevenazzo wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
So just attached my shock pump that came with my old Lyrik to it and nothing happens, it doesn't seem compatible as it's not pressing the centre of the valve when screwed on to let any air flow, another one to add to the pile.

Idk man, I would send it off to Rockshox or even have your local shop service it before anything. I think we all know that it’s a great fork, I just think you got a defective one.

Mines the Select though not the Ultimate so it seems a bit shabby, the crown isn't milled and anodized like the photos, it's painted like all the previous forks. I thought the only difference to the Ultimate was the damper but it seems they have cost cut elsewhere too. Have you got a ZEB yourself, do you like how it rides?

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 5:03 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
then warranty it - thats not a factory job, 99.9999999% of all rockshox stuff ive seen brand new is perfect, exactly how it should be.

Bitd RS used to come boxed with oil leaking in boxes

F rs & their bs

F bike discount too oem muppets

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 7:59 Quote
Trixstar wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:
then warranty it - thats not a factory job, 99.9999999% of all rockshox stuff ive seen brand new is perfect, exactly how it should be.

Bitd RS used to come boxed with oil leaking in boxes

F rs & their bs

F bike discount too oem muppets

I try not to rag on online/grey market providers, but bike discount has been rough in the past.

I’ve gotten ~50 or so RS forks - mostly lower end trail forks for customer installs. Never had to send one back right off the bat, but there were times where I’d need to drop the lowers to get them sorted out. I think I have maybe one case per year where a guy gets a fork from a weird place or was on a consumer direct bike and somethings horribly wrong - once had a bike come in with a hydrolocked yari from the factory.

Obviously, OP isn’t happy about plenty of things, and hasn’t even ridden it yet. I’m sure we’ve all had parts that we just didn’t get along with for one reason or another, just do your due diligence to break it in with ride time, check out the lowers, and then send it off if problems persist. I’ve seen plenty of warranty claims with SRAM - and only SRAM - where they’re happy to upgrade a customer on a part they messed up on. GX derailleurs instead of NX, guide RSC levers when they had that fiasco, and in one case a pike ultimate instead of a charger revelation.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 8:36 Quote
There haven't been many fork purchases I've made in my lifetime where everything seemed perfect out of the box. In my DJ days I had a Manitou Stance come with what looked like degraded oring floating around in the oil. I usually drop the lowers, cleanup excess grease (which is almost always excessive), check the damper oil, wipe down the apparently mandatory film of oil coating new forks, etc.

Ironically I bought I bought a Pike Ult from China last year that was absolutely flawless out of the box, best I've seen.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 11:31 Quote
parkourfan wrote:
Trixstar wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:
then warranty it - thats not a factory job, 99.9999999% of all rockshox stuff ive seen brand new is perfect, exactly how it should be.

Bitd RS used to come boxed with oil leaking in boxes

F rs & their bs

F bike discount too oem muppets

I try not to rag on online/grey market providers, but bike discount has been rough in the past.

I’ve gotten ~50 or so RS forks - mostly lower end trail forks for customer installs. Never had to send one back right off the bat, but there were times where I’d need to drop the lowers to get them sorted out. I think I have maybe one case per year where a guy gets a fork from a weird place or was on a consumer direct bike and somethings horribly wrong - once had a bike come in with a hydrolocked yari from the factory.

Obviously, OP isn’t happy about plenty of things, and hasn’t even ridden it yet. I’m sure we’ve all had parts that we just didn’t get along with for one reason or another, just do your due diligence to break it in with ride time, check out the lowers, and then send it off if problems persist. I’ve seen plenty of warranty claims with SRAM - and only SRAM - where they’re happy to upgrade a customer on a part they messed up on. GX derailleurs instead of NX, guide RSC levers when they had that fiasco, and in one case a pike ultimate instead of a charger revelation.

Reminds me to sort out bros hydrolocked Rebas

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 12:25 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
So just attached my shock pump that came with my old Lyrik to it and nothing happens, it doesn't seem compatible as it's not pressing the centre of the valve when screwed on to let any air flow, another one to add to the pile.

I've had this happen on a RS fork before. I swapped the valve core out with another one I had on the workbench, and it worked fine. I think the stem of the valve core is fab'd a little short, and maybe whatever pump they use to QC the forks has a longer pin than some shock pumps.

2 min fix, and doesn't(at least to me) indicate a failure of RS's QC.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 11:53 Quote
I think I remember seeing in a review that RS have been designing their dampers in recent years so that the fork is less supple and reactive for small forces (such as pushing down on the bars), but more supple when under load (when you're actually riding the bike).

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 12:57 Quote
I did a lower leg service and it's much better, Rockshox definitely don't put the full 20ml oil in each leg at the factory, why I don't know, what does a bit of oil cost? Tbh it's actually quite a decent fork now, the compression dial does basically nothing but it's stiff and supple for an air fork, it can't compete with the smashpotted 36 I had on the last bike but for £650 it's decent.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 3:42 Quote
hugh-dh wrote:
I think I remember seeing in a review that RS have been designing their dampers in recent years so that the fork is less supple and reactive for small forces (such as pushing down on the bars), but more supple when under load (when you're actually riding the bike).

My experience with my 2020 lyrik tallies well with this.

It runs well with relatively little sag and though you wouldn't suggest it's an ultra plush fork, it actually tracks ground super well and provides a lot of grip. Rides way higher in the travel than any other fork I've run. I rate it a lot.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 2:38 Quote
whatisthecolour wrote:
lol complaining about a fork before you've even used it... you know that forks take some time to bed in right?

sounds like you haven't been riding long if you have only bought one fork before.

grease rings on new fork stanchions as are the marks on the steerer.

another idiot complaining about a product without using it hahaha honestly mate

Did you get up on wrong side of the bed mate? No need to be so patronising towards the guy.

Doesn't matter if he hasn't been riding very long? Maybe he's been riding ages but not had many forks new?

He's allowed to have first impressions and voice his concerns. What are bike forums for if not discussing bike products, setups, sharing experiences etc.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 3:24 Quote
whatisthecolour wrote:
lol complaining about a fork before you've even used it... you know that forks take some time to bed in right?

sounds like you haven't been riding long if you have only bought one fork before.

grease rings on new fork stanchions as are the marks on the steerer.

another idiot complaining about a product without using it hahaha honestly mate

I never received my previous Lyrik or 36 covered in grease and dust with paint chips and an adjustment dial that does nothing. You don't need to 'try' the fork to observe these things... It's just shit quality control. If you bought a car like that would you say the same thing, 'you haven't tried it yet'.

The cost of these things means we shouldn't be receiving products like that and as evidenced by previous purchases, it's completely avoidable.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv23 0.005963
Mobile Version of Website