Dissapointed with Rockshox ZEB

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Dissapointed with Rockshox ZEB
Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 17:38 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
These Rockshox dampers are a pile of shit, I was going to upgrade my Select damper to a Charger 2.1...but not willing to pay £300 for a slightly better pile of shit that still doesn't work properly. For that price could just drop an Avy cartridge in there.

You should've bought the Ultimate right off the bat. There's a reason the Select models are cheap, night and day differece between the charger 2.1 and the cheap one Selects have. I have no experience with Zeb but that's the case with Pikes and Lyriks at least.

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
These Rockshox dampers are a pile of shit, I was going to upgrade my Select damper to a Charger 2.1...but not willing to pay £300 for a slightly better pile of shit that still doesn't work properly. For that price could just drop an Avy cartridge in there.

No, sorry. Probably a personal problem. lol

My Ultimate is great!

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 8:09 Quote
As they say on MTBR, you only know the best you've ridden..

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 11:22 Quote
BryanPink wrote:
jaame wrote:
I’ve just bought a 190 Select. I wanted the 170 but the 190 was all they had in stock. The sag gradients are only printed for 190. My last fork had the sag gradients for both 160 and 170. I’m now a little concerned there is some difference between the 190 and the under 190 forks other than the length of the air shaft.

Does anyone know? If I buy a 170 air shaft will it work?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, swapping air shaft lengths works fine. The damper side doesn't care and is the same regardless of travel length and the lowers are all the same length too. The only diff between the forks is the air shaft and etched sag markings.

My bike needed a 150mm but none were available so I grabbed a 180 and sourced a 150mm air shaft.

As for sag markings, the 180 came with % marking for both 170 and 180 which are now irrelevant for the installed 150mm travel. In this case just calculate the millimeter length for 20% and 25% (or whatever sags you may want) and then take a ruler over to your fork and see where those lengths may fall on the etched sag markings. Make a mental note of where your fav sag will reside among the old/original markings and you should be all set.

What size split ring pliers do I need to change the airshaft? I am going to get a park tool one but they come in a few sizes.

Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 13:29 Quote
No idea. I’ve got a generic set from B&Q. Totally shite but they get the job done. I would guess the ends are about 1.5mm diameter.

Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 17:40 Quote
DJR2013 wrote:
BryanPink wrote:
jaame wrote:
I’ve just bought a 190 Select. I wanted the 170 but the 190 was all they had in stock. The sag gradients are only printed for 190. My last fork had the sag gradients for both 160 and 170. I’m now a little concerned there is some difference between the 190 and the under 190 forks other than the length of the air shaft.

Does anyone know? If I buy a 170 air shaft will it work?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, swapping air shaft lengths works fine. The damper side doesn't care and is the same regardless of travel length and the lowers are all the same length too. The only diff between the forks is the air shaft and etched sag markings.

My bike needed a 150mm but none were available so I grabbed a 180 and sourced a 150mm air shaft.

As for sag markings, the 180 came with % marking for both 170 and 180 which are now irrelevant for the installed 150mm travel. In this case just calculate the millimeter length for 20% and 25% (or whatever sags you may want) and then take a ruler over to your fork and see where those lengths may fall on the etched sag markings. Make a mental note of where your fav sag will reside among the old/original markings and you should be all set.

What size split ring pliers do I need to change the airshaft? I am going to get a park tool one but they come in a few sizes.

I used these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B82G16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FL
Posted: Aug 25, 2021 at 3:13 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
jaame wrote:
I bought mine off bikester.co.uk from Germany (!)

It was £649 and arrived in six days including the Sunday I ordered it. The advertised price is the price you pay on bikester. All tax and duty is included, and it gets delivered by UPS.

Very happy with the service.

Great to see that they're catching up with the situation. That's a lot better than the lottery that was happening towards the start of the year. I've bought loads of stuff from Bikester in the past, as well as Bike Discount and always had good experiences.

I bought ~£150 of tires from Bike Discount just recently and got charged ~£47 at customs. Bike Discount despatched it quickly but it was at customs for 9 days - only getting released because I went through customer services to ask for it.

Not a good experience and has made me very wary about buying from German sites when I used to do it all the time

Posted: Dec 13, 2021 at 9:49 Quote
Have any of you chaps tried the Mudhugger Evo screw on long fender on your Zeb?
Are you satisfied with the fit and security, and the coverage (esp compared to the Crud XL Fender)?

Posted: Dec 13, 2021 at 9:49 Quote
Sorry forgot to mention…
Can the Maxle Ultimate QR be used with the Zeb?

Posted: Dec 13, 2021 at 12:24 Quote
jaame wrote:
Sorry forgot to mention…
Can the Maxle Ultimate QR be used with the Zeb?

Yes. I swapped out the stealth TA for a QR version because my bike transport requires removing the front wheel every time and the QR is much simpler and convenient.

Posted: Dec 13, 2021 at 13:33 Quote
jaame wrote:
Have any of you chaps tried the Mudhugger Evo screw on long fender on your Zeb?
Are you satisfied with the fit and security, and the coverage (esp compared to the Crud XL Fender)?

Yes it's great as a mudguard...trouble with mine is at the time they didn't test all offsets of ZEB with the bolt on...I have the 38mm offset and the crown bottoms out on the mudguard bracket. I told them about this and they updated their website a few days after though they never mentioned anything about a refund which I feel they should have. I didn't bother asking for one and they did offer to send out a zip tie model free of charge...but the only reason I bought it in the first place was because it was bolt on and rrp advertised theirs as not compatible with the 38mm offset whereas mudhugger didn't advertise this.

But as I say it works fine as mudguard, the rrp looks better quality plastic imo but both function similar. The best mudguard I think is that one Mojo was selling but I couldn't find any for sale.

Posted: Dec 13, 2021 at 14:12 Quote
I might just keep my XL Fender on that case. I think mine is 44 offset (29er).
What is the Mojo one? DFender or something?

The XL Fender gives excellent protection but it gets pretty noisy when you hit repeated bumps hard. Also I run mine all year round so it gets pretty annoying.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 0:13 Quote
Anyone knows if i can install a Yari airshaft (the shaft only) inside a ZEB??

I know the yari has 35mm stanchions and the ZEB 38 but i am asking only for the shaft itself and not the other components of the airshaft kit.

I am asking because i have 160mm 170mm 180mm complete airshafts for Yari and i want to increase the travel of my ZEB from 170mm to 180mm.

So maybe i could get the 180mm shaft and put it in my ZEB using the sealhead and the other components of the zeb.

So the question is do these forks use common shafts?
Again i am talking for the shaft itself only and not the airshaft kit (which includes the shaft and the sealhead etc.)

Anyone knows??

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 14:11 Quote
[Quote="jaame"]Have any of you chaps tried the Mudhugger Evo screw on long fender on your Zeb?
Are you satisfied with the fit and security, and the coverage (esp compared to the Crud XL Fender)?[/Quote

I've had a mud hugger evo on my zebs for around 4 months. Works a treat solid and secure with good coverage would definitely recommend. 29er 44mm offset

Posted: Mar 29, 2022 at 23:13 Quote
Can anyone advice if the Zeb Ultimate's airshaft is wider bigger OD in comparison with the airshaft of the zebs charger?
I am referring to the airshaft itself.

I bought the service kit of the ultimate but the lower red sealhead internal diameter is much wider than the diameter of the default shaft. So they cant fit.

And since the airshaft acts like a negative chamber, then this should be an important advantage of the ultimate (apart of the damper).

So according to my understanding the ultimate is having a much bigger negative chamber than the entry level charger.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020854
Mobile Version of Website