Best chain lube?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Best chain lube?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 15:15 Quote
wd 40 or fork out some more money and go for some proper stuff?
my chain is thirsty !!
cheers

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 15:17 Quote
bike-r wrote:
wd 40 or fork out some more money and go for some proper stuff?
my chain is thirsty !!
cheers
No wonder your chain is thirsty!

ShGnarly

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 18:33 Quote
WD40 is great. If you re apply every 15 minutes. I never use lube it just makes my pants dirty, I just buy a new chain.

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 18:37 Quote
ricar wrote:
WD40 is great. If you re apply every 15 minutes. I never use lube it just makes my pants dirty, I just buy a new chain.
man i hope you got alot of $

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 18:38 Quote
don't ever use wd 40

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 18:38 Quote
ricar wrote:
oh suck it up

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 18:39 Quote
ricar wrote:
no, it's not great, and you are stupid... $30 chain or $4 bottle of lube?

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 18:42 Quote
finish line teflon,the red bottle.

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 18:43 Quote
WD40 is a light lubracant, but it was designed to be a water displacer (WD40 = Water Desplacement 40)

They used to use it when working on ships and stuff, but then it was domesticated and used by the average person.

wd40 has no place on a bike.

use a teflon base lube (dry lube) for dry conditions where it can not easily be washed off, and wet lube for wet conditions.

I use Finish Line dry lube all the time, i ride street and DJ.

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 18:44 Quote
teflon smells good. i like triflow cuz it's cheap

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 19:27 Quote
You can call me what ever you want. You do have to realize that I do know what I'm talking about and have been in this for a very long time. I have also had the experience of snapping chains under power which almost always leads to a knee the the stem and a trip over the bars. Not my idea of a good time. $30 once a year is not really a big investment. Infact I have gotten a few for christmas over the years, so they did not cost me a cent. IMO you'd have to be an idiot to not replace a chain once a year, but then I raced and that changes things. You don't put the same stresses on a chain in the park or on the street.

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 19:32 Quote
You only replace your chain once a year? Dang i must be doing something wrong cause last year i broke mine twice, and replaced it 3 times....

I vote pedro's lube. Spray it on, let it sit a bit, then wipe off the extra.

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 19:33 Quote
If you want your chain to look clean and lubed get "White Lightening Epic" lube stays on for a long time and its wax based so no black crud in your chain or on your pants.

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 19:37 Quote
I use my motorcycle lube for my bikes. So I usually use chain wax or whatever it its. I never have chains very long I always break them.

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 at 20:03 Quote
I'm old and have a bashed up knee. I can't peddal hard enough to brake a chain any more. You can add graphite to a chain lube. Grahpite is dry and will not attract grit like oil will. It is best to use some sort of dry lube.

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008288
Mobile Version of Website