Shock interchange

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shock interchange
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 9:03 Quote
Is it possible to go from a 185mmx45mm to a 190mmx45mm rear shock? This is on 2018 Giant Stance 2

Thank You

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 23:20 Quote
I always get in trouble for this, because people are sissies now, but:

Do I care that my 3/4 ton chev stands a 1/2" higher in the front than stock, because I decided to crank the torsion bars?

Nope.

Do I care that my 1216CC motor-swapped streetbike stands an inch higher out back, because I changed the length of the dogbones?

Nope.....

Do I care that every single DH rig I've owned has had a higher standover, because the shocks I bought for them were slightly longer than stock?

Yes..........And by yes, I mean, f*ck no.

Travel (stroke) never changed on any of 'em.

Every little girl on the planet will bitch about shock sizing incessantly, and swear to the good googly-monster above, that a bit of height difference will end your life immediately......but from this side of the fence, it's worked out pretty good for the last 20+ years or so.

Up to you. It'll fit....so why not?

Queue the internet's best, as seen below.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 11:05 Quote
Haha, thanks dood!! That is my thoughts exactly but me being new to the sport I wasn't a 100% sure!!

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 11:15 Quote
The main issue with going to longer length shock isn't standover, but rather the change to the motion ratio curve. On some bikes it doesn't really matter on some bikes it will make your suspension perform noticeably worse. Do you care - I don't know. If all you care about is if your suspension squishes a longer eye to eye will work fine.

Couple other things to note if you have a warranty you won't any more. And if you do care you can always run some offset bushings.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 11:21 Quote
dood wrote:
I always get in trouble for this, because people are sissies now, but:

Do I care that my 3/4 ton chev stands a 1/2" higher in the front than stock, because I decided to crank the torsion bars?

Nope.....

LOL..dood ! ....one of the best things you could do for that truck ! did the same thing to mine. had to get the f**king nose of that thing up off the deck...!! ugh... it was actually the FIRST mod I did to mine tup

I have been looking at replacing the rear shock on my Stinky 5 and found some deals on shocks with a slight bit longer e2e and had the same concerns with raising the rear a smidge over the longer shock length... The more I research this, the less concern I have about +5mm... Salute

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005472
Mobile Version of Website