1999 Gary Fisher Joshua F2 Disc Brake Mounts

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
1999 Gary Fisher Joshua F2 Disc Brake Mounts
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 12:54 Quote
Hey guys,

as the title states, I have a '99 Joshua F2 which I am looking to upgrade to have disc brakes. While the front fork ('99 Marzocchi Bomber Z2 BAM) definitely looks like it will fit a hydraulic caliper on it, the rear mount is sort of odd.

Just looking at it, the bolt holes look way too close together to fit any modern disc brake calipers...

So now I am wondering if there is an adapter that might work to solve this problem, or if I just need to find and old set of disc brakes.

Right now, the bike has a set of Spinergy RevX Carbon rims without disc mounts. These rims are just about ready to blow up so I am looking to replace them with something else, and it seems that 26", rim brake wheels have fallen off the face of the planet, never to be seen again, so disc brakes seem to be my only option in terms of getting new wheels and actually being able to stop myself from dying while shredding some gnar.

If I could get other people's knowledge on these shorter mounts, that would be great!

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 19:41 Quote
A photo of the rear dropout area would be useful.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 21:25 Quote
There appear to be plenty of 26" rim-brake rims available on eBay and AliExpress, plus several on Pinkbike's Buy & Sell.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 23:28 Quote
Measure from the left side of one caliper mounting point to the left of the other (center to center.)

If it turns out to be a 22mm mount, let me know. I have a spare Hayes setup for ya.

Caliper mounts are no big deal. Most of the older bits are entirely-swappable, interchangeable, and don't give a (*&^ about getting the crap kicked out of 'em. G1 and G2 Hayes are absolute beauties.......as long as the bits bolt on, calipers have no idea what masters are attached, what the hoses are, etc. It's just mechanical junk...None of 'em care.

Dunno if they're still made, but I've been MORE than happy with my Crank Bros. Iodines in 26" on the Klein.....options still exist!

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 5:39 Quote
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/fc_TMo3E-HTvVMHSl5PzzBCH7N7dRDSStIZCS0OkBGdcvYBiesa4BA0AAq9v6WLkGV4Z0yhOe2I8ca0lSEjxnq6utxyN6oMBh9HSnCmVLlDxKPRjqy52068LXkiZvLnZrPUHJTo1qiXrLd4YZAHRgAeFHNPI8HAWIeIRS2SorXSuw7o5CYgpn1k_L2FqT0FNAqm9hvPIa7L6AIpGxQ56biUHp_TawdVGN6sXwXt2rrZzebq1OF5N-84fDZ2axYjiAArwLeBvuYo2rf32ifzRfBoBuSkTs3c-AD0GC-sNu6gABlZeoxm9VEizRZaj66j4uV-5FgJiwg1hP0k7k51Be8wgjAKX5PxzqsZCtP3SOfwMpILOwe36NnEuGac7VxzPgTD2AucUrpRs0FIvxE0OWJaUwWXr2uhzFRWzqerGUQuKXdLeb6LTnEm-jb8kasViwDNL_bKOLgBYt1JEIALqlkEjq5cLUeV20lkrc_dbN5eSjN80dN8aFt6bPWM90elIsg3cH_uXD4eiv1Us5pei0XesIEgbNYbugeK57fjXccLb9Rw4dgeVcn5TRSSZ25gpHPt_DFUBE8WIPRnRhTyc6q-7VkJHJUO9UCR1dO07cxmgNzIxSbUKVMwcPPO7I0bPC_g1CHaA3UV40mTmzZDGdqByZfL7NH8yWqrcR13j6zMr4e5IzJioXCuDNqqj=w456-h608-no?authuser=0

There is a picture, put my finger there just for size reference...

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 5:42 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
There appear to be plenty of 26" rim-brake rims available on eBay and AliExpress, plus several on Pinkbike's Buy & Sell.

I will check pinkbike, but as for AliExpress and eBay, all I could find were weird chinese rims which I have no clue as to how long they will last.

Don't want to spend $300 on rims that will taco after three rides

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 5:45 Quote
dood wrote:
Measure from the left side of one caliper mounting point to the left of the other (center to center.)

If it turns out to be a 22mm mount, let me know. I have a spare Hayes setup for ya.

Caliper mounts are no big deal. Most of the older bits are entirely-swappable, interchangeable, and don't give a (*&^ about getting the crap kicked out of 'em. G1 and G2 Hayes are absolute beauties.......as long as the bits bolt on, calipers have no idea what masters are attached, what the hoses are, etc. It's just mechanical junk...None of 'em care.

Dunno if they're still made, but I've been MORE than happy with my Crank Bros. Iodines in 26" on the Klein.....options still exist!

I'll measure them out and let you know!

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 7:42 Quote
It doesn't look like the '99 Joshua has a rear disk mount. Replacing both wheels cause the rim tracks are dead, or adding disk brakes are both significant investments in a 22-year old aluminum framed bike. Metal fatigues and has a lifespan (although it's probably fine for commuting and stuff). If the rim tracks are so close to exploding, do you really want to add disk brakes and keep riding them for another year?

I would keep riding the rims as they are, and try to find the best deal you can on a bike from the 2012-2014 period.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 7:46 Quote
Brandonzamp wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

I will check pinkbike, but as for AliExpress and eBay, all I could find were weird chinese rims which I have no clue as to how long they will last.

Don't want to spend $300 on rims that will taco after three rides

Name-brand rims are usually "weird Chinese rims" with some other company's label on them! I understand your concern, though. A pair of rims with a cross-section that resembles that of trusted rims might cost $70, so it could be a lot cheaper than new disc wheels and new brakes, if you build your own wheels.

cobba wrote:
If it's a 22mm mount watch this.....

https://youtu.be/Juer4Cc38Xs?t=333

Great link! Seems odd the video creator was willing to make a bracket from scratch, yet didn't want to modify the off-the-shelf bracket. Looked like smaller screw heads and filing of the A2Z adapter may have worked; maybe filing a little off the caliper, too.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 7:57 Quote
Just saw the bike in your profile - damn that thing looks clean! I can understand why you want to keep it going!

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 8:00 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
Just saw the bike in your profile - damn that thing looks clean! I can understand why you want to keep it going!

Thanks man! Just need to clean it up a little more.

Serviced the front fork myself, and to my surprise, it to was in amazing condition! Not a single scratch on the stanchions!

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 14:43 Quote
It will be the old 22mm style Hayes mount caliper, if you can get one off the poster above grab it with both hands as there’s not much hope of getting one these days

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 19:20 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Great link! Seems odd the video creator was willing to make a bracket from scratch, yet didn't want to modify the off-the-shelf bracket. Looked like smaller screw heads and filing of the A2Z adapter may have worked; maybe filing a little off the caliper, too.

That bracket allows you to use a new flat mount brake on the old 22mm mounts.

https://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/22mm-chain-stay-disc-brake-adapter-520722.html#post14507213

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 20:08 Quote
Yeah, a flat mount would be more compact, but could be more expensive for a restoration / resurrection project. If it's the only solution, though, then so be it.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005780
Mobile Version of Website