Replace New Mid/Low Range Parts w/Older XTR Parts

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Replace New Mid/Low Range Parts w/Older XTR Parts
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 15:16 Quote
Recently purchased a Saracen Mantra 2.4 (24inch wheel) bike for my 7 year old daughter who wants to get more into riding. The bike is equipped with 9 Speed Shimano Alivio/Acera rear derailleur and shifter. Looking in my spare parts bin, I realized I have an XTR M952 derailleur and shifter. Both are in really good shape and working order.

Would it be worth swapping out the newer components for the older XTR parts? Has technology advanced so much that the new mid/low range Shimano components equal an older XTR component.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 15:17 Quote
Not at that level for sure!! Pimp that whip with the XTR!!!

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 23:52 Quote
Only thing to consider would be the cage length, and the big ol' gears out back!

If the 'railleur is a long cage and you need to fill the needs of a 34T.....kewl!

If fancy bits are a shorty......you're gonna struggle. Only other real difference is weight.....

Aside from that, who DOESN'T want XTR bits??!!!

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 6:55 Quote
The cage on the derailleur is a medium and the bike will be running a running a 12-36 cassette and a 30 chain ring. Do you see any issues with that?

dood wrote:
Only thing to consider would be the cage length, and the big ol' gears out back!

If the 'railleur is a long cage and you need to fill the needs of a 34T.....kewl!

If fancy bits are a shorty......you're gonna struggle. Only other real difference is weight.....

Aside from that, who DOESN'T want XTR bits??!!!

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 9:03 Quote
Nope! Ride it like you stole it!!

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 21:34 Quote
Hate to be the contrarian here, but one of the first hard truths I learned about mountain bikes - going back to the mid-1990s, embarrassingly enough - is that you NEVER PAY FOR XTR!

XTR is notoriously the group that Shimano uses as a high-end test bed for new standards. Standards that they are all-too eager to pretend never existed 12 months later when you need a new chainring, bottom bracket, or even just a new brake olive.

XTR doesn't love you and never will. Yes, that titanium freehub body is awesome, but when it starts to wear out, you will never be able to find a replacement.

If you are a sponsored rider, member of the press, or otherwise got it for free, then no big deal. If you are paying real money for the supposed pinnacle of Shimano mountain bike technology - and expect commensurate support - then too bad for you.

XT is worth the money. XTR is only fun if it's free.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 22:34 Quote
Thanks for the input. This is all XTR components that I pulled off older bikes and had just lying around in a spare parts bin. I wouldn’t be buying XTR components for my 7 year old who is just beginning to get into riding.

anoplura wrote:
Hate to be the contrarian here, but one of the first hard truths I learned about mountain bikes - going back to the mid-1990s, embarrassingly enough - is that you NEVER PAY FOR XTR!

XTR is notoriously the group that Shimano uses as a high-end test bed for new standards. Standards that they are all-too eager to pretend never existed 12 months later when you need a new chainring, bottom bracket, or even just a new brake olive.

XTR doesn't love you and never will. Yes, that titanium freehub body is awesome, but when it starts to wear out, you will never be able to find a replacement.

If you are a sponsored rider, member of the press, or otherwise got it for free, then no big deal. If you are paying real money for the supposed pinnacle of Shimano mountain bike technology - and expect commensurate support - then too bad for you.

XT is worth the money. XTR is only fun if it's free.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
If you have the parts there is nothing to lose by upgrading. Shifting should improve with tighter tolerances on the XTR derailleur.

I replaced the sloppy heavy cheap derailleur on my 7 year olds bike with a STX-RC I had laying around, plus a Thomson stem and Easton Monkey Lite carbon bar just because I could.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005254
Mobile Version of Website