2021 Giant Fathom

PB Forum :: Giant
2021 Giant Fathom
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 3:49 Quote
I’m surprised the new Fathom isn’t getting more press. Anyone who is looking for a do it all aggressive hardtail should take a long hard look at these. The geo looks spot on and they are pretty affordable. I have one on order and plan on swapping out some of the parts but I’m hoping it will ride as good as I think it should.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 14:00 Quote
I looked in their catalog and 27.5 and 29 versions have exactly the same geo / frame? That is interesting, if correct.

They are speced with Giant crest 24. Any reviews or experiences with those?

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 21:45 Quote
The 2021 Giant Fathom 1 29 is an amazing hardtail bike. I bought one earlier this week, the rear hub engagement is much better than your level entry full suspension mountain bike. I was not able to find the specifications of the rear hub but if I were to compare it to a DT Swiss 350 ratchet, it would be close to a 54T. Very little pedal play. Their overdrive tech system is an absolute beast! The oversize bar and headtube give you a steering stiffness that allows you to maintain control in rough terrain. It is equipped with a good 130mm Giant fork with five levels of stiffness and damper, a dropper post, front and rear boost, Maxxis 2.5 tubeless tires(not tubeless ready, tubeless!), and an NX rear derailleur. For a 29er, the weight of it is pretty light. What more can you ask for?

I would recommend this bike to you.

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 13:19 Quote
Got mine ordered but who knows when it will show up!

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 9:39 Quote
I agree this bike seems to be under the radar a little bit, the improvements they made for 21 are quite impressive. I had a 2020 model and just upgraded to the 21. I mainly wanted the thru axle in the rear but combine that with the updated geo, beefier fork/extra travel, and the much better rear hub engagement made it a no brainer to upgrade. I was a little skeptical on the fork so we'll see once I get my first ride this weekend but my initial impression is that it's a substantial improvement over the SR Suntour on my 2020.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 17:50 Quote
Got mine all built up! Got the 29er and put a fox 34 140mm up front. Took the praxis crank off and replaced it with the new 12 spd Deore crank to match the rest of the drivetrain plus added an XT shifter and Deore 2 piston brakes. The stock wheelset is pretty awesome and indestructible but I have a Hunt XC wide wheelset on the way to lighten it up a bit for XC racing and big rides. That’s a lot of changes but I also got the cheapest model and sold the other parts I didn’t use so I came out pretty good. It is honestly the best riding hardtail I’ve ever owned. I’ve owned 2 different Chromags, a Surly, and a Carbon Giant XTC and this bike beats them all in my opinion . I’m very happy with it.

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 at 14:16 Quote
4Runner02 wrote:
The 2021 Giant Fathom 1 29 is an amazing hardtail bike. I bought one earlier this week, the rear hub engagement is much better than your level entry full suspension mountain bike. I was not able to find the specifications of the rear hub but if I were to compare it to a DT Swiss 350 ratchet, it would be close to a 54T. Very little pedal play. Their overdrive tech system is an absolute beast! The oversize bar and headtube give you a steering stiffness that allows you to maintain control in rough terrain. It is equipped with a good 130mm Giant fork with five levels of stiffness and damper, a dropper post, front and rear boost, Maxxis 2.5 tubeless tires(not tubeless ready, tubeless!), and an NX rear derailleur. For a 29er, the weight of it is pretty light. What more can you ask for?

I would recommend this bike to you.
I agree i got one but whit the rock shox 35 I never think that this new hardtails while be that good on the downhills, climbing is close to perfect I enjoy so much this bike that I don't want to ride my enduro full suspension

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 5:49 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
Got mine all built up! Got the 29er and put a fox 34 140mm up front. Took the praxis crank off and replaced it with the new 12 spd Deore crank to match the rest of the drivetrain plus added an XT shifter and Deore 2 piston brakes. The stock wheelset is pretty awesome and indestructible but I have a Hunt XC wide wheelset on the way to lighten it up a bit for XC racing and big rides. That’s a lot of changes but I also got the cheapest model and sold the other parts I didn’t use so I came out pretty good. It is honestly the best riding hardtail I’ve ever owned. I’ve owned 2 different Chromags, a Surly, and a Carbon Giant XTC and this bike beats them all in my opinion . I’m very happy with it.

How do you like the 140 travel fork? If I end up upgrading I'd probably bump up to 140 also just because there are so many more options but wondering how much it changes the geo/ride characteristics?

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 18:45 Quote
I have a 2019 and the geo is the same. A very good bike to just go ride. The fake thru rear (142mm) is a pain. But, minus that it is pretty impressive on everything.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 21:16 Quote
323racer wrote:
Dougdirt wrote:

How do you like the 140 travel fork? If I end up upgrading I'd probably bump up to 140 also just because there are so many more options but wondering how much it changes the geo/ride characteristics?
The 140 didn’t change the stock geometry by much. The axle to crown length on the stock 130 Giant Crest fork and my 140 Fox 34 are actually the same. Regardless it rides really good!

Posted: Dec 26, 2020 at 18:51 Quote
Just got my fathom 2 large 27.5 bike. I noticed when I was in the top two gears it would want to jump of the gears. I did notice the front sprocket is putting the chain and a real bad angle causing it to jump. All I did was ride it in front of the house to bed in the brakes. Anyone else have this issue? To the bike to the shop today and they tried and checked if they could press the chain ring on further but no. I guess another customer with the same bike has the same issue. So they are in contact with giant and ordering a new front chainring and see if that’s the issue. I’m in so cal also if that matters

Posted: Dec 29, 2020 at 15:03 Quote
I setup a fork cam on 2021giant fathom 2 27.5,
check it out

https://youtu.be/cfXlU8COquQ

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 16:49 Quote
I have the fathom 29 2 and it is great other than the fork. If they get that sorted out without taking me off the bike too long I will be happy and recommend this awesome bike to anyone.

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 14:18 Quote
How's the sizing on the Fathom? Size small upto 5'8" seems tight

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 18:51 Quote
I put a good wheelset and 140mm fox 34 on my 2021 and it’s amazing

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016770
Mobile Version of Website