New Shimano Zee Brakes Acting Up

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
New Shimano Zee Brakes Acting Up
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 5:31 Quote
So I just recently got some Zee brakes for front and rear on my new build, and I installed them. The front one was working perfectly, but the back had an odd issue where on a first pull, the brake felt perfect, but with continuous pulls it tightens up like an unbled brake. I took it to my bike ship and they said that they’ve never seen an issue like it, and that it is probably defective. I think they could be fixed with a bleed, but I don’t want to go against my bike shops wishes. Any suggestions or ideas? I can provide further info, as I have the brake installed on the bike currently.

Note: I dropped more fluid in the rear installation than the front

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 7:41 Quote
Best bet will be to get a Shimano bleed kit and bleed it yourself. Super easy and the kit costs about what the shop will charge to do it. If it works, great. If not warranty.

Just make sure to remove your pads and use a bleed block.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 10:43 Quote
I had this exact same problem on my zees, also with the rear brake. It turned out that I had been set a faulty lever with dodgy seals and it was replaced under warrantee. is there any fluid leaking from around the lever? If it is this, a bleed wont help. They are awesome brakes though, heaps of raw power!!!

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 9:18 Quote
Olistev wrote:
I had this exact same problem on my zees, also with the rear brake. It turned out that I had been set a faulty lever with dodgy seals and it was replaced under warrantee. is there any fluid leaking from around the lever? If it is this, a bleed wont help. They are awesome brakes though, heaps of raw power!!!
Huh. I dont think my seals on the lever are leaking, at least not noticeably. When your lever was leaking, did you notice it? Also did you only warranty the lever or the whole brake? Thanks.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 3:22 Quote
gyro00 wrote:
So I just recently got some Zee brakes for front and rear on my new build, and I installed them. The front one was working perfectly, but the back had an odd issue where on a first pull, the brake felt perfect, but with continuous pulls it tightens up like an unbled brake. I took it to my bike ship and they said that they’ve never seen an issue like it, and that it is probably defective. I think they could be fixed with a bleed, but I don’t want to go against my bike shops wishes. Any suggestions or ideas? I can provide further info, as I have the brake installed on the bike currently.

Note: I dropped more fluid in the rear installation than the front

First do a full bleed - cheapest and fastest way. If it wont help - warranty....

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 11:09 Quote
gyro00 wrote:
Olistev wrote:
Huh. I dont think my seals on the lever are leaking, at least not noticeably. When your lever was leaking, did you notice it? Also did you only warranty the lever or the whole brake? Thanks.

there was always a small amount of fluid coming from somewhere in the lever, but at first I just suspected a messy bleed was the source, but it kept returning, despite wiping it off.

tredz warranteed me a lever only as I was in a rush to get back on the bike, but they made it very clear it would also be possible to warranty the entire system if I preferred.

good luck!!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005042
Mobile Version of Website