Cracked Frame Question

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Cracked Frame Question
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 12:39 Quote
I have a 2014 KHS Six Fifty B 5500 model. I recently discovered a crack in the top tube. I have no idea how long it's been there.

I took it to a KHS dealer and they took pictures of it to submit to KHS to see if they would warranty or if they have a frame to buy. The mechanic had never seen a frame cracked there.

I marked the crack and went out and rode and it didn't get worse. In the current shortage of all things bicycle, I don't feel very confident I will get a new frame anytime soon. I have searched the internet and can't find one. Am I missing a secret site?

I know that using an epoxy is not recommended pretty much ever but with where the crack is would it work in this situation until I can get a new frame?

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Photos
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0TxQ4b9qZGxlJCRXF52ck0aZA

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 6:35 Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you have an aluminum frame?

Epoxy won't really do anything as I doubt it will even be able to seep into the crack in the first place. All it would do is leave a big mess on your frame and be an eyesore.

Don't quote me, but it's probably okay to ride, although I'd wear a full face just in case hahaha

It definitely isn't as structurally sound as it was before it was cracked and definitely not as safe as it was before, but it should be fine, maybe just stay away from the 6ft drops... The crack looks pretty small, can you tell if its just the paint or is it definitely the frame?

I have also never once heard about a top tube being cracked! That's a first. It's usually the rear triangle like the chainstay or the downtube or headtube that cracks, never heard of a top tube cracking!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005608
Mobile Version of Website