Cracked SLX brake caliper housing

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Cracked SLX brake caliper housing
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 18:15 Quote
Hi,

Was riding down Skyline at North Mountain in Darrington, WA when I heard a loud pop from my rear. Thought I broke a spoke, but realized that the SLX rear brake caliper housing sheared by the mounting bolt, as if there was excess rotational force from the pads biting on the rotor. Never seen anything like this. Bike is a 2019 Diamondback Release 29 2 which I’ve had for about 15 months. Could this be a defect or something else?

Thanks

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 19:29 Quote
Post some photos.

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 10:14 Quote
Probably over tightened, crushing the body leading to a crack ending in failure. The recommended torque for those isn't that much 6~8 Nm, the locktite is meant to keep the bolts in place.

That being said, never hurts to try and get a warranty replacement.

If not an option was it a 2 pot or 4? I've got a spare 2 pot xt in kenmore

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 21:24 Quote
I’ve been able to get a replacement under warranty, but part is still on its way. I appreciate your insights and offer. I think it’s a 2 pot, but not 100%. Thanks.
eshew wrote:
Probably over tightened, crushing the body leading to a crack ending in failure. The recommended torque for those isn't that much 6~8 Nm, the locktite is meant to keep the bolts in place.

That being said, never hurts to try and get a warranty replacement.

If not an option was it a 2 pot or 4? I've got a spare 2 pot xt in kenmore

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 23:08 Quote
Glad you've got it taken care of, t shirt season is coming close to an end. Hope you're back in the trail soon!

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 1:51 Quote
A rare one but years ago I upgraded from Shimano cable operated disc brakes to a hydraulic set and tried to mount it to the original Shimano adaptor, it didn't fit as the bottom of caliper interfered with brace section between the mounts which could cause a failure of some kind if not noticed when fitting?

Something to be aware of on fitting, more so when mixing different adaptor and brake brands? 2 cents

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006916
Mobile Version of Website