Marin Alcatraz build out..... Help!

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Marin Alcatraz build out..... Help!
Posted: Sep 26, 2020 at 16:09 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
makin me want an alcatraz realll bad

Go get one!!!

Posted: Oct 3, 2020 at 13:52 Quote
Ok guys what is is the best grease to use to put my baby together?

Posted: Oct 3, 2020 at 18:39 Quote
FanGar wrote:
Ok guys what is is the best grease to use to put my baby together?
Any lithium grease will work, I just usually use the park tool grease.

Posted: Oct 4, 2020 at 9:47 Quote
For initial building, you really should use a torque wrench. I'm assuming you are already using one but I've worked in bike shops before and a lot of people don't use them for things they should. A lot of torque specs are literally written on the parts they're needed for (stem, rotors, seat clamp)

Also use threadlocker where necessary, and anti-seize paste on the inside of the seat tube. Don't use a lot, just a dab for peace of mind. You don't need to avoid carbon cranks for dj, you should put rubber boots on them though, as the pedal threads are the weak point and the most susceptible to damage.

Posted: Oct 4, 2020 at 10:36 Quote
If you were looking for wheels. I HIGHLY recommend Halo Chaos wheels. They are fairly loud. The other wheelset I do really like is the Atomlab Pimplites.
I like dj's having loud hubs, not sure why, but it feels right for a street/jump bike, any other bike i would go with quieter hubs for sure

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 8:44 Quote
[Quote="forty0"
second, i would strongly suggest against using carbon cranks on a dj bike, even if you dont intend on getting super rad they are designed for full squish bikes where the impact is very different than rigid dj bikes, cranks are not something you want to fail[/Quote]

I completely disagree. I've seen many DJ built with carbon cranks and never, personally, read of a failure. This doesn't mean it can't happen, but I've seen alu and steel cranks break. If they are poorly constructed, or have been abused, they can break.

Matt Jones is a professional rider and competes in Crankworks Slopestyle events on this same bike, using the exact same cranks. He is boosting higher and harder than any of us mere mortals will ever imagine.

Those cranks are fine for this build and your riding.

I weigh 240lbs and currently building up a Marin Alcatraz and these are the cranks I'm planning to use, as well.

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 8:48 Quote
FanGar wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
makin me want an alcatraz realll bad

Go get one!!!

Yep, I just bought a frame a couple days ago pnline and they still show in stock. Govvelo.com

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 6:35 Quote
Ebnash wrote:
[Quote="forty0"
second, i would strongly suggest against using carbon cranks on a dj bike, even if you dont intend on getting super rad they are designed for full squish bikes where the impact is very different than rigid dj bikes, cranks are not something you want to fail

I completely disagree. I've seen many DJ built with carbon cranks and never, personally, read of a failure. This doesn't mean it can't happen, but I've seen alu and steel cranks break. If they are poorly constructed, or have been abused, they can break.

Matt Jones is a professional rider and competes in Crankworks Slopestyle events on this same bike, using the exact same cranks. He is boosting higher and harder than any of us mere mortals will ever imagine.

I weigh 240lbs and currently building up a Marin Alcatraz and these are the cranks I'm planning to use, as well.[/Quote]

I've seen a multitude of X01 dh and Raceface Carbon Cranks that come in broken at the spindle. Out of the 2 broken x01 cranks that came in. Both were from a Dj, As for the Raceface cranks. 2 of them came from Hardtail/dj style bikes the last one was from a dude's Evil Offering that fell off his truck on the highway. Also, unlike Matt Jones, us mortals don't have the nice discounts and freebees that the pro's get, You don't know how often Jones's Cranks get changed out if he takes a tumble. Yeah. It depends on your riding style, If u ride a hella ton of urban/street stuff. Steer away from carbon, But IMO, I would never throw carbon cranks on a dj. Not saying you shouldn't run those cranks, just that carbon cranks are usually not what people go for on dj's for a good reason.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 20:56 Quote
Ebnash wrote:
[Quote="forty0"
second, i would strongly suggest against using carbon cranks on a dj bike, even if you dont intend on getting super rad they are designed for full squish bikes where the impact is very different than rigid dj bikes, cranks are not something you want to fail

I weigh 240lbs and currently building up a Marin Alcatraz and these are the cranks I'm planning to use, as well.[/Quote]

Having seen carbon cranks snap on a DJ in person I can say that your statement is false. The cranks that snapped were XO1 DH cranks, but have seen numerous x01 and sixc cranks snap on facebook groups. It's pretty common.

Posted: Oct 31, 2020 at 10:36 Quote
Thank you guys for all the input it really been helping. It's been a slow build due to budget put can't wait to put it together!!! Recently purchase a fork! Rockshox Pike DJ brand spanking new for $690...... score!

photo

Posted: Oct 31, 2020 at 10:42 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
If you were looking for wheels. I HIGHLY recommend Halo Chaos wheels. They are fairly loud. The other wheelset I do really like is the Atomlab Pimplites.
I like dj's having loud hubs, not sure why, but it feels right for a street/jump bike, any other bike i would go with quieter hubs for sure

This the next big purchase I need to make. Trying to find a great deal on wheels is though. Also trying to wrap my head doing a single speed vs gears. I think I want to be able to switch back and forth but right now buying to rear wheels in not an option. I like the single speed but what is the optimal gear ratio for a beginner/female.. AWWWWW so much to think about but loving it.
Waiting on the stem and seat post to arrive.

Posted: Oct 31, 2020 at 12:50 Quote
FanGar wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:

This the next big purchase I need to make. Trying to find a great deal on wheels is though. Also trying to wrap my head doing a single speed vs gears. I think I want to be able to switch back and forth but right now buying to rear wheels in not an option. I like the single speed but what is the optimal gear ratio for a beginner/female.. AWWWWW so much to think about but loving it.

I have had a lot of trouble finding wheel sets, I ended up purchasing each part myself and building them. if there was a choice to get my hands on a pair halo chaos wheels I would of taken them in less than a second

Single speed is more simple and doesn't clutter up your cockpit (good for doing bar spins and etc) although this is all personally opinion.

For ratio I have this same question.

Posted: Oct 31, 2020 at 12:56 Quote
FanGar wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:

I've run single speed dj's and Geared, Geared is definitely the way i'd go. Excuses for it being more robust Dogsh*t imo. if you've got a dh shifter and derailleur setup on it. That thing will drop a chain as little as a singlespeed. Sound? all you get is a bit of a thwack if you reallly huck something to flat. I would most definitely go with a geared setup, I have a 13-20 4 spd on my dj. As for gear ratios on you dj, i think you're restricted to a 30 tooth ring at the smallest due to your cranks?

Posted: Nov 8, 2020 at 9:57 Quote
Ok guys the steam finally arrived...... How much should I cut the steer tube? Most likely I will have a shop do it I'm just trying to avoid dragging the frame to the shop.

photo
photo

Posted: Nov 10, 2020 at 6:05 Quote
FanGar wrote:
Ok guys the steam finally arrived...... How much should I cut the steer tube? Most likely I will have a shop do it I'm just trying to avoid dragging the frame to the shop.

[/PI]

That is totally up to your preference. If you leave more room, you can raise the stem/total height of the front end by putting spacers on the bottom.

And after you’ve set the height, measure the total length of the steerer tube that you want left and tell the shop to cut it accordingly

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018783
Mobile Version of Website