Why are my cassette rings loose?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Why are my cassette rings loose?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 14:09 Quote
Hi, I recently bought a used bike off here, and the cassette that came with it turned out not to be an slx cassette, and some of the rings are starting to move side to side independently from the rest of the cassette after my first ride on real trails. Why? Is there a way to fix it, or should i buy a real cassette instead of a chinese fake?

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 17:09 Quote
izzygaafar wrote:
Hi, I recently bought a used bike off here, and the cassette that came with it turned out not to be an slx cassette, and some of the rings are starting to move side to side independently from the rest of the cassette after my first ride on real trails. Why? Is there a way to fix it, or should i buy a real cassette instead of a chinese fake?
it could be that the spacers are in the incorrect location and make sure your lock ring is tight. maybe in the future you can upgrade to a better cassete but try that.

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 19:00 Quote
It is also possible your freehub was notched. I would take the cassette off and inspect the cassette and freehub then put it back together.

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 23:57 Quote
Could be it needs an extra freehub spacer? For example my Pro 4 hub has a road freehub which is wider than MTB freehubs so needs a 1.85mm spacer fitting between the hub and my 11 speed MTB cassette.

Without the spacer the lockring bottoms out before tightening my cassette adequately. This isn't the same set up you have but the principal is the same:-

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/959334-how-do-i-know-if-i-need-spacer-my-10-speed-cassette.html

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 3:19 Quote
izzygaafar wrote:
Try to tighten lockring first if it helps and check spacers between cogs if broken.
Otherwise new cassete, they are not expensive these days - you can go basic Deore to save some money.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005883
Mobile Version of Website