Megatower...new money for old rope?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Megatower...new money for old rope?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 14:56 Quote
Does the megatower now seem dated in its sizes and geo? I’m looking at getting a more capable bike than my Jeffsy in the new year and with the current crop of do it all 29ers Now on sale I’m left thinking is it worth it. They’ve dropped the price of the 2021 model and given it some good upgrades for the price, but is this the last freshen up before a revised version? I’ve test rode one in the size I wanted (XL) but was left thinking if this was slacker, that was steeper and that was a little longer but not as long as the XXL it would be mint. Don’t get me wrong it was a good piece of kit but what do all think?

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 8:51 Quote
Seems like its not the bike for you. The Geo doesn't seem too dates except the seat tube being on the slacker side. Check out the Transition Sentinel for a little bit slacker, a little bit steeper and a little longer reach. I rode one before deciding on my Nomad. I liked the bike but felt very over the front. The Nomad just fit me and my style better, but the Sentinel is a great bike.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 12:18 Quote
That’s the next bike on the list. There is a brand over here called Stanton who’s figures are close to the sentinel all be it 140 rear and that thing was spot on. How do you find the megatower for climbing? I’m thinking of giving it one more go but try it on my trails instead of the local trail centre that’s mainly geared up for family MTBers with the odd rough balaclava section. Know of anyone who’s ran angled headsets on them?

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 10:03 Quote
I have the Nomad not the Megatower and my Nomad is 7+ lbs lighter than my old bike so it felt great climbing. The bottom bracket is a lot lower so that took me a long time to get used to and came with a lot of pedal strikes. I don't feel that there is a lot of wasted energy through pedal bob, and I can make dynamic moves to get up small rock step ups.

Santa Cruz uses inset headsets that are unfortunately not compatible with angleset headsets. At least none that I have found.

I was thinking maybe you could use offset bushings on the shock mount but then you'd shorten your reach. To offset that you'd need to run your stem all the way down and get riser bars or a longer stem. Megatower comes with a 40mm stem and Nomad with a 50. My neighbor and I switched up to check out the different feels. I ended up going with a 45mm. But then you're just chasing correction after correction.

Those Stantons have a cool old school look to them with the smaller tubing.

FL
Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 7:26 Quote
you will never end up buying anything if your worried about whats coming out next year. Something will always be the next best thing. If you dont like the geo numbers for it as it sits get something else, the megatower should have at least another year before its updated again.

I would like to think that just because things are coming out longer/lower/slacker all the time doesnt mean that it is a step in the correct direction, especially when you take into account individual needs.

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 7:31 Quote
One thing I liked about the Mega is the various options for tweaking the geometry. Forks up to 180, Cascade link in back to that supports shocks up to 180, two different chainstay lengths etc. The STA is about where everyone else is and simply sliding the seat forward a bit puts you right at any of the steeper ones.

That being said, if you already rode it and didn't care for it. It's probably not the one. It's hard to buy a bad bike these days and there is nothing wrong with simply having a preference for something else.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 12:03 Quote
Solorider13 wrote:
you will never end up buying anything if your worried about whats coming out next year. Something will always be the next best thing. If you dont like the geo numbers for it as it sits get something else, the megatower should have at least another year before its updated again.

I would like to think that just because things are coming out longer/lower/slacker all the time doesnt mean that it is a step in the correct direction, especially when you take into account individual needs.

I’m not worried about what’s coming next, it’s just that it’s been out a while now and I dare say anyone would be annoyed if they just spent good money and then they bring out a revised version. My mate had it with YT after buying Jeffsy and 24hrs later for the same price the newer one was released! Fair play to YT they give him his money back and he was able to re purchase the latest model.

FL
Posted: Sep 26, 2020 at 14:59 Quote
I’m just saying it’s tough with so many new bikes coming out all the time. I think the most important thing is being happy with your purchase and your feelings about the fit and ride .the bike literally came out last year, the geo is still extremely relevant. If a 1 year old bike to you is old rope than maybe look toward a new model like the slash or something.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2020 at 15:11 Quote
Solorider13 wrote:
the bike literally came out last year, the geo is still extremely relevant.
How much will the geo actually change by next year? Don't these companies typically use nearly identical geo numbers for the duration of the generation? Like, '20 to '21 to '22 might only see a slight tweak in numbers before the new generation comes out with a complete geo update.

It costs a lot of money and time to design a frame and rolling out substantial updates annually is far from economical... I think. I don't claim to know how any of this works, I just ride.

FL
Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 9:14 Quote
They don’t change at all generally. For instance the v4 nomad came out in 2018 and it is the exact same in 2020 (build options change but the frames are identical)

Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
Like Solorider said, the Megatower came out in the first part of 2019, so a new model is a ways off.

There are so many good bike options available that it's hard to go wrong...and hard to choose sometimes. Sentinel, Enduro, Process X, etc.. There's also Privateer, RAAW, Byrd, Nukeproof, Knolly, Commencal and many others.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010671
Mobile Version of Website