Pressure lost in shock

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Pressure lost in shock
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 0:51 Quote
I recently serviced my shock and was unfortuanate enough to catch the inside of the air sleeve as I lifted it off the stanchion - immediately I noticed a white line which I was sure was a scratch but when I cleaned the inside of the air sleeve with a cloth I was pretty sure that the supposed scratch had faded away and so assumed it must have been something on the surface giving the impression of a scratch. A few days later, I went on a 2hr ride and now, 2 days on from the ride, I checked the air pressure to discover that it was 20-30psi below where I left it after servicing my shock. Should I be worried about this and if it is likely that a scratch had developed what can I do to fix it?
Cheers Ed

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 11:34 Quote
Pump it up 5 times in a row, does it lose 20-30psi each time?

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 12:28 Quote
Eddie3665 wrote:
I recently serviced my shock and was unfortuanate enough to catch the inside of the air sleeve as I lifted it off the stanchion - immediately I noticed a white line which I was sure was a scratch but when I cleaned the inside of the air sleeve with a cloth I was pretty sure that the supposed scratch had faded away and so assumed it must have been something on the surface giving the impression of a scratch. A few days later, I went on a 2hr ride and now, 2 days on from the ride, I checked the air pressure to discover that it was 20-30psi below where I left it after servicing my shock. Should I be worried about this and if it is likely that a scratch had developed what can I do to fix it?
Cheers Ed

Did you equalize the pressure every 50psi while pumping it up by cycling the shock? If not, that’s probably where your missing psi is.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 15:58 Quote
brianl wrote:
Pump it up 5 times in a row, does it lose 20-30psi each time?
Not quite sure what you mean, it only lost the pressure after a ride so I would have to pump the shock then ride 5 times over if I'm understanding you correctly?

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 15:59 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Eddie3665 wrote:
I recently serviced my shock and was unfortuanate enough to catch the inside of the air sleeve as I lifted it off the stanchion - immediately I noticed a white line which I was sure was a scratch but when I cleaned the inside of the air sleeve with a cloth I was pretty sure that the supposed scratch had faded away and so assumed it must have been something on the surface giving the impression of a scratch. A few days later, I went on a 2hr ride and now, 2 days on from the ride, I checked the air pressure to discover that it was 20-30psi below where I left it after servicing my shock. Should I be worried about this and if it is likely that a scratch had developed what can I do to fix it?
Cheers Ed

Did you equalize the pressure every 50psi while pumping it up by cycling the shock? If not, that’s probably where your missing psi is.
No I didn't, hadn't realised you should do that - cheers for the tip that could be the problem

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 19:09 Quote
Eddie3665 wrote:
brianl wrote:
Pump it up 5 times in a row, does it lose 20-30psi each time?
Not quite sure what you mean, it only lost the pressure after a ride so I would have to pump the shock then ride 5 times over if I'm understanding you correctly?
No what I meant was, when you attach a pump the shock pressure can drop ~20psi, so I just suggested you attach the pump a few times to see if that's what's happening.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
brianl wrote:
Eddie3665 wrote:
brianl wrote:
Pump it up 5 times in a row, does it lose 20-30psi each time?
Not quite sure what you mean, it only lost the pressure after a ride so I would have to pump the shock then ride 5 times over if I'm understanding you correctly?
No what I meant was, when you attach a pump the shock pressure can drop ~20psi, so I just suggested you attach the pump a few times to see if that's what's happening.
I see what you mean, no I dont think that's what's happening, I've accounted for air being lost due to the pump. Mine loses about 10psi each time I attach the pump.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006443
Mobile Version of Website