Rebuild 2013 DJ1 for 250 bucks or get New Manitou Circus Comp for 450?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Rebuild 2013 DJ1 for 250 bucks or get New Manitou Circus Comp for 450?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 6:52 Quote
Hey Guys,

I am a dad and getting into DJ a bit more heavily - never had the privilege of having a good DJ bike when i was young - or access to a good jump.

i bought a used complete bike, but the 2013 DJ1 started to leak oil out the top (i can see its moist and collecting dirt, i can feel it on my fingers when i wipe it off too). I have bottomed it out a couple of times in the last little while too. There is no obvious problems with the fork though (scratches, dents, ect.). the action is smooth, but i sink a lot even when i just sit on the bike! So i loose a good portion of the travel to just my weight.

I assume this is not normal. so i either need to rebuild or replace. i can get the DJ1 rebuilt for 250, or a new Circus Comp for 450. The expert is 625, and thats more than i spent on the used bike!

I have no real guidance on this and I would appreciate anything from the community. Any other suggestions for price friendly shocks?

Thanks,
Phil

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 12:22 Quote
Go for the Circus Expert. I'm not sure where you are seeing it for $625. That is way too expensive. I think that price you see is for the Circus Pro which I'm sure is nice, but I don't see the need to spend so much more. I see the expert for $405 on Manitou's website.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 18:35 Quote
I'll assume he is in Canada like I am that is the going price for a set of experts here.

That rebuild price seems a little absurd no? I would source the oil and seals you need and do it yourself. It really isn't a hard job and there should be tutorials online.

See if there is an upgraded spring kit or see what kind of pressures you can run it at. No need to throw a ton of money at something if it isnt needed.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 19:24 Quote
newbike wrote:
I'll assume he is in Canada like I am that is the going price for a set of experts here.

That rebuild price seems a little absurd no? I would source the oil and seals you need and do it yourself. It really isn't a hard job and there should be tutorials online.

See if there is an upgraded spring kit or see what kind of pressures you can run it at. No need to throw a ton of money at something if it isnt needed.

I am in Canada. Toronto. I got quote for the manitous from a reasonable store. In Canada there is a crazy issue with servicing older Marzoochi forks. There is no one that does it! most shops wont even touch it. I found one shop that wil send it away to get serviced.

There is a Dirt Jumper 1 online step by step video. It does not look too hard, but at the same time i have never done anything like a shock, so its a bit intimidating. I will revisit this and see if i can convince myself its a good idea. Where would i find the oil/parts?

I actually double checked the air preload. it was at practically 0 psi, while its supposed to be 15. I might even pump it up a bit more. i had a shop pump it up for me with the little pump. It helped, and maybe could explain why i bottomed out a couple of times.

Thanks for your thoughts.. Please keep the opinions coming. i don't have any decent mechanic friends to lead me to the right decision.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 19:55 Quote
I think your money would be better spent rebuilding the DJ1. The Comp is the lowest in the Manitou line up where as the DJ1 is the top in the Marzocchi line up. Also having owned a Circus expert I found it way too stiff even with less air than recommended for my weight(230lbs).

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 8:49 Quote
newbike wrote:

i watched the hour long rebuild of the different model Dirt Jump 1. its not overly complicated. the ONLY thing i am missing is a little torque wrench, and a pair circle clamp pliers. I know the oil is leaking, so i would need to get new seals (especially for the top threaded part). Where would people normally get these o rings? Is there a special material? i dont think i can order the rebuild kit or parts from anywhere in canada for a reasonable price.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 19:17 Quote
If it's just o rings you're replacing , you can get those at Canadian Tire or at any industrial supply store. They usually come in a kit, just match them up.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 6:15 Quote
I found another shop that can do this for me. it will be 200 bucks (including shipping). For that price i will let them do it.

I have read that some o-rings are not standardized, and some forks do use special thicknesses. i dont know if that is true, but i can imagine that is the case.

Thanks everyone for your help. Brofasco has a much better variety of hardware and can usually find a fit for anything.

Let me know if people have actually used store bought O-rings in their own rebuilds.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009854
Mobile Version of Website