Banshee Prime review

PB Forum :: Other
Banshee Prime review
Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 11:24 Quote
Banshee Prime vs Titan vs Phantom.
https://expeditionzeal.wordpress.com/2020/09/23/the-banshee-prime-vs-phantom-vs-titan/

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 6:07 Quote
Well written review Kevin, I learned so much. Thank you.

Sizing: Thanks for sharing your size too, that’s so helpful. How tall are you?

Trails: What are your trails like? (More photos? Link to trail forks?) I appreciate when reviews give a sense of this. It helps me find similarities / differences to the trails in my part of the world. BTW: I loved the description of pumping the rollers — what a clear and relatable example. Thanks for including that.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 29, 2020 at 13:15 Quote
Awesome write up. I just finished my Prime V3 build after spending 3 seasons riding my Prime V1. I agree that the Prime is a "best kept secret".

Most of my parts came off the V1 (aside from a new rear wheel) so while I have only had one real ride, my initial observations are that the V3 climbs faster than the V1, but feels very similar going down. The ride seems a little bit firmer, but I don't have the suspension totally dialled in yet. I also did my first ride at the neutral setting as that is still "slacker" than the V1 in the low setting. I'll try slack setting over the next couple of rides.

I thought the longer reach would make the bike feel bigger, but the steeper seat tube almost made it feel more compact when seated.

I am running 150mm Pikes up front and the compact 148 drop outs in the rear. Was considering starting a "Banshee Build" thread.

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 8:09 Quote
Starting this thread back up folks! I'm trying to get off my carbon dream machine after two cracked frames (warrantied). The V3 Titan and Prime have had my attention for a while now, but I'm looking for direct rider feedback on the Prime. I ride a 130mm travel rig in the Beautiful Pisgah Ranger district. I ride hard, I ride fast, and I need a bike that will hold up to my ability to break everything.

I'm VERY torn between a size L or XL at 6'. I ride a 2021 Fuel EX 9.9 size L, and I love the fit. Although the reach is the same, the L Prime has a shorter ETT and taller stack. Any insight would be appreciated!

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 10:21 Quote
Hey!
I ride a Titan now, but had a Prime before. Sizing opinions are a dime a dozen but at 6’1” I went with Keith’s suggestion (Banshee Designer) of a Large and am happy
I did. I also run a longer stem (50mm) which encourages the proper amount of weight out front the bike demands. If you’re bombing straight line down a ski run I’d say XL, but the wheelbase on a Large is long already. For those Pisgah switch backs you’re gonna want the Large.

Banshee is great to deal with and their frames are built to ride Pisgah type terrain IMO. Very strong.

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 12:20 Quote
ZSchnei wrote:
Starting this thread back up folks! I'm trying to get off my carbon dream machine after two cracked frames (warrantied). The V3 Titan and Prime have had my attention for a while now, but I'm looking for direct rider feedback on the Prime. I ride a 130mm travel rig in the Beautiful Pisgah Ranger district. I ride hard, I ride fast, and I need a bike that will hold up to my ability to break everything.

I'm VERY torn between a size L or XL at 6'. I ride a 2021 Fuel EX 9.9 size L, and I love the fit. Although the reach is the same, the L Prime has a shorter ETT and taller stack. Any insight would be appreciated!

at 6'0 you should be on a large. the reach value is the same but will feel longer because of the taller stack height. ETT is shorter because the actual seat tube angle is steeper than the trek.
The prime is sick, you can build it light and have a playful poppy bike, or run a coil shock and 160mm fork and send it down whatever you want. i have a titan now, but my v3 prime was so good. I recommend them to anyone asking about a new bike these days.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 15:10 Quote
I think you will find that 135mm travel on the Prime will feel like a lot more travel than 130mm on the Trek. I never feel like I am running out of travel and I like to ride hard and fast on rough tech trails.

I have no doubt that the frame will hold up to anything you can throw at it. Keep the bearings greased though.

I concur that a large is an appropriate size. I am a hair under 5'8" and the medium feels almost on the big side with the huge head tube. If you are transferring over parts from your Trek, triple check the length of the steer tube on your forks... I had a hard time finding used forks that hadn't been cut too short because the head-tube is very long.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 6:15 Quote
Thanks to everyone that gave feedback! I've ordered a L Prime that should ship in the beginning of July. I've also confirmed with Fox that they have a CSU and Air Spring so I can update my fork without spending money on an entirely new one.

Does anyone have any tips/advice/feedback on cockpit setup? I'm now going over details like stem length and bar height. I want the ability to run 3 - 10mm spacers under the stem so I can adjust as needed. I'm torn between what rise bar I should get and what stem length -- I'm 6' even so I was thinking 40mm or 50mm stem.

And, how does the Prime handle? Is it pretty easy to ride, or does it demand someone who can push the bike? Can I ride fairly centered on the bike, or do I need to be heavily weighting the front in turns? I had a Transition Smuggler that I could never get a long with.

Hopefully those questions make sense.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 6:27 Quote
Stem length and bar height depends allot on your proportions, arm length, etc. I’m 6’1 and rode both 40mm stem with a 30mm rise bar, and a 50 mm stem with a 25mm rise bar. Preferred the 50/25 as it gets my weight a little further forward.
Check this out fir more fit info.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rHagRovHSYs

The Prime doesn’t demand the rider get their weight properly situated, it stays composed wherever you’re sitting. It rides well even if you’re further back, but when you do get the ratio right, and ride the front a little the thing absolutely rips. The handling is very balanced. You will love it.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 6:37 Quote
Cockpit is dependent on you for sure. im running 50mm stem and a 50mm rise bar.

the prime likes to be ridden in a balanced manner as bondseye said. if you do this, you will reap the traction benefits. other than that, its a very easy bike to get along with.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 9:42 Quote
I have a 35mm stem and as low as I can get it due to the headtube height )needed a 5mm spacer due to headset width with the short stem). I experimented with longer stem, and more spacers, but the bike started to feel too big. I run 160mm Lyriks

I am considering trying a 27.5 in the rear if I find a cost effective wheel hub set up. Apparently it works really well on the Titan, and they are pretty similar bikes.

I have the short wheelbase drop outs and I run them in the "slacker" setting due to the steepness of terrain around here. On more mellow terrain I will try the neutral setting.

I used to ride the V1/V2 Prime, and the V3 is definitely a different feeling bike. The older version is a bit more playful, and the new V3 is bit more of a burlier steamroller.

The bike likes to be pushed hard. I am not a weight weenie, but don't want to ride a 40lb monster like it is 2002 anymore either so I favour some lighter weight parts as long as I don't sacrifice reliability (I apparently tend to break stuff). I have pretty heavy duty tires, and after I add some Tanus inserts, I am probably going to tip the scales at around 34 lbs. If weight was no concern at all, I'd choose a coil fork and coil shock and the bike would be an unstoppable force on the rough stuff!

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 10:13 Quote
ShawMac wrote:
I have a 35mm stem and as low as I can get it due to the headtube height )needed a 5mm spacer due to headset width with the short stem). I experimented with longer stem, and more spacers, but the bike started to feel too big. I run 160mm Lyriks

I am considering trying a 27.5 in the rear if I find a cost effective wheel hub set up. Apparently it works really well on the Titan, and they are pretty similar bikes.

I have the short wheelbase drop outs and I run them in the "slacker" setting due to the steepness of terrain around here. On more mellow terrain I will try the neutral setting.

I used to ride the V1/V2 Prime, and the V3 is definitely a different feeling bike. The older version is a bit more playful, and the new V3 is bit more of a burlier steamroller.

The bike likes to be pushed hard. I am not a weight weenie, but don't want to ride a 40lb monster like it is 2002 anymore either so I favour some lighter weight parts as long as I don't sacrifice reliability (I apparently tend to break stuff). I have pretty heavy duty tires, and after I add some Tanus inserts, I am probably going to tip the scales at around 34 lbs. If weight was no concern at all, I'd choose a coil fork and coil shock and the bike would be an unstoppable force on the rough stuff!

a coil on the prime v3 works very well, i definitely recommend it if you want to race the bike or just like going fast. I just put together a phantom v3 that has a coil on the rear and its pretty sick so far.

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 12:31 Quote
Just received the Prime frame today -- I love the build quality already. I have a Factory 36 going up front, XO1 drivetrain with GX Eagle AXS, and carbon Bontrager wheels with CushCore. My Fuel EX weighed around 32 lb, so I suspect the Prime to weigh in around 34 lb.

Has anyone rigged up any down tube protection? I was thinking of taking an extra DT protector from one of my cracked Fuel EX frames and modifying it to stick on the bottom. I have Invisiframe coming, and I'll mastic a couple of spots as well. Pisgah eats everything, so I try to protect as much as possible.

Thanks for everyone's input on this bike -- I really appreciate that and look forward to getting it built up!

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
I just 3M taped everywhere. Starting to bubble a little bit, but doing the job.

Modify yourself up some rear shock cage protection. It just collects no end of dirt mud and debris.

I just installed Tannus inserts, and a really heavy duty vittoria rear tire. If I get my hands on a more precise scale than the bathroom jobby, I'd be interested to know how heavy I am now. I would be surprised if I tip the scales at 35 lbs

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 10:42 Quote
on the raw frames, 3m tape or something similar is highly recommended, as the frame has a tinted clear coat that gets chipped easily and is very obvious.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017603
Mobile Version of Website