Banshee Prime review

PB Forum :: Other
Banshee Prime review
Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 6:00 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
im assuming that youre using shimano brakes given the 203mm rotor size.
I had the issue on a prime, and then on my titan with both Zees and XT 4 pistons. I even tried swapping the dropouts from my phantom to see if it changed anything but no, tried putting rubber where the brake hose attaches to the frame as well with no positive result. the 180mm rotor solved it but i need brake power so eventually i bought some gold MTX pads (im sure the red ones do the same thing). No more noise, for the last two-ish months.

i hear that you can also help to resolve the issue by cleaning your brake calipers specifically around the pistons.

You're close! I'm running Dominion A4's with 203 rotors and Shimano mounting hardware. I'll see if I can clean up the rotors and calipers and give the pads a quick sand. If that doesn't solve it I'll move to the pads to mentioned and see if that works. Thanks for the feedback!

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 6:35 Quote
ZSchnei wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
I had the issue on a prime, and then on my titan with both Zees and XT 4 pistons. I even tried swapping the dropouts from my phantom to see if it changed anything but no, tried putting rubber where the brake hose attaches to the frame as well with no positive result. the 180mm rotor solved it but i need brake power so eventually i bought some gold MTX pads (im sure the red ones do the same thing). No more noise, for the last two-ish months.

i hear that you can also help to resolve the issue by cleaning your brake calipers specifically around the pistons.

You're close! I'm running Dominion A4's with 203 rotors and Shimano mounting hardware. I'll see if I can clean up the rotors and calipers and give the pads a quick sand. If that doesn't solve it I'll move to the pads to mentioned and see if that works. Thanks for the feedback!

Ahh i remember Keith from Banshee specifically mentioned the dominions having that issue with the pistons not being lubricated enough.

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 9:37 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
ZSchnei wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

Ahh i remember Keith from Banshee specifically mentioned the dominions having that issue with the pistons not being lubricated enough.

I've now found some other forums with this. It sounds like I can start by adding a drop of DOT around the pistons.

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 18:11 Quote
Swapped everything over from the Alpine Trail to the Titan minus the fork and we needed a longer rear brake line. The head tube on the Banshee is long enough that I was not comfortable using the Helm I had as I had cut it down to allow for the Copperhead stem and 20mm of spacers. We had a new take off Z1 that will do the duty for now.

If I love it I'll swap the Cane Creek Kitsuma Coil over.

She gets the shakedown tomorrow before the Thanksgiving meal.
Banshee Titan

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
ZSchnei wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
ZSchnei wrote:

I've now found some other forums with this. It sounds like I can start by adding a drop of DOT around the pistons.

UPDATE - on the frame vibration. I attempted to lessen/rid of the frame vibration with the new Hayes brakes by doing a couple of things. First, I re-trued the rotor, then I cleaned everything and sanded the pads a little, and finally I evened out my piston movement with DOT fluid around them. NOTHING worked - the vibration continued and really got to me when I did a couple of group rides. I was the guy with the noisy bike.

Today, I found a 180mm rotor locally and slapped it on, since I already had a 180mm IS mount. VIBRATION GONE. With that said, I can't pinpoint whether the vibration was due to any particular thing (big IS mount, the rotor, etc), but mission success regardless.

Overall, I'm a little disappointed that this bike doesn't sit well with a 203mm rotor and the appropriate IS adaptor. It's a 2021 model, and these rotor sizes are normal. I scoured the Banshee website to see if they had a recommended max rotor size, but it doesn't exist. Either way, these Hayes have plenty of power so I'll be just fine with the smaller 180mm rotor.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 13:11 Quote
I guess I should consider myself lucky that I have never had any vibration with my 203 rotor on the rear. I have used both an amazon sourced 203 IS mount and a 180 IS mount with a 23mm post mount stacked on top of it, with no issues. It is an IceTech rotor with the extra fins, so I wonder if that makes a difference to the harmonics.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 18:02 Quote
Anybody have some ghost shifting suggestions? Just picked up a used prime with gx eagle. I got it working a little bit better, only have trouble on rough trails, I go to pedal and it isn't in the right gear and doesn't get into the correct gear right away. Climbing does great doesn't seem to be a problem then. Maybe clutch? Not 100% sure the b tension is correct as I don't have the red setting price, but I measured 15mm best I could. I also tried to get more slack near the lower link, this helped some. I need to check chain length yet.

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 5:30 Quote
joelsman wrote:
Anybody have some ghost shifting suggestions? Just picked up a used prime with gx eagle. I got it working a little bit better, only have trouble on rough trails, I go to pedal and it isn't in the right gear and doesn't get into the correct gear right away. Climbing does great doesn't seem to be a problem then. Maybe clutch? Not 100% sure the b tension is correct as I don't have the red setting price, but I measured 15mm best I could. I also tried to get more slack near the lower link, this helped some. I need to check chain length yet.

B tension is SUPER important with Eagle drivetrains. Even if it's only a small bit out of adjustment it will make a difference in your shift performance. I've also had my B tension screw loosen over time, so it's something you need to check every now and then. If you can't source the red tool your LBS should be able to help. I actually prefer the newer white tool now.

Posted: Jan 30, 2022 at 14:56 Quote
I checked chain length and took off a set of links and readjusted the B tension but haven't had a chance to ride it. I hope the chain length was the main problem and the b tension. I'll get a red tool at some point.

Posted: Feb 5, 2022 at 11:08 Quote
How’s everyone liking the prime v3? Looking to try my first banshee.

Posted: Feb 5, 2022 at 12:52 Quote
Singletrack828 wrote:

As a Phantom and Titan owner I’d say get a Prime if you’re a one bike person. If you’re more into XC and less super steep tech the Phantom may be more your speed.

Posted: Feb 5, 2022 at 13:41 Quote
mastashake wrote:
Singletrack828 wrote:

As a Phantom and Titan owner I’d say get a Prime if you’re a one bike person. If you’re more into XC and less super steep tech the Phantom may be more your speed.
I’m in arizona(just moved here in Aug) so the trails are super techy up and down, lots of climbing as well. I think the prime fits in for the perfect bike for climbing as well as being capable of getting down the chunky stuff

Posted: Feb 5, 2022 at 20:04 Quote
I haven't ridden mine much yet but I like it a lot. Small bump sensitivity is great with the stock air shock too. I would definitely buy another.

Posted: Feb 5, 2022 at 20:11 Quote
How large of a dropper is everyone able to fit in their Prime?

I'm 6' and like a fairly low seat height for technical climbing. I currently run a 180mm OneUp dropper slammed to the collar in my large Knolly with a 455mm seat tube.

By my math, I would only be able to fit a 160mm dropper in a large Prime with the same size seat tube due to the limited post insertion. It's a bummer and literally the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a Prime...

Posted: Feb 5, 2022 at 21:42 Quote
That is probably the worst limitation of Banshee's v3 design. There is very little insertion depth at the seat post. I could only run 125mm drop in a reverb with about 2cm of collar freeboard going to waste. In a post like a one-up I can run a 150 mm

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008825
Mobile Version of Website