180mm Travel 27.5 (650b) Fork recommendation's. Cheapest ZEB vs Bomber Z1 Air or other recommendations

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
180mm Travel 27.5 (650b) Fork recommendation's. Cheapest ZEB vs Bomber Z1 Air or other recommendations
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 14:58 Quote
Im the process of build a Commencal Clash with 180 front travel and 170mm rear travel.


I was thinking of buying the cheapest Zeb on the market or to buy a Bomber Z1 for its big hits capability's.

I go to the mountain as soon as i can, and when i don't i hit quite a bit of jumps mostly being flat landing's in the city & parks.


What should i choose ?

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 16:36 Quote
Nothing says "city hucks to flat" like a 20 year old marzocchi

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 21:46 Quote
Exactly. But are the new Marzocchi up to that standard ? ???? they are burly and that.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 0:18 Quote
Manitou mezzer for 700 eur or a dvo onyx sc? If not mistaken both are cheaper than the bomber and are more high tech than the cheap Zeb

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 1:11 Quote
e4r33d wrote:
Exactly. But are the new Marzocchi up to that standard ? ???? they are burly and that.

Would go for Zeb only for reasons like way wider service network, availability of parts. You can get tons of tuning options for Lyrik/Zeb (aftermarket dampers, luftkappes etc....), with Z1 there are not much (if any) options.
Also service network is much smaller for Z1.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 7:04 Quote
onyxss wrote:
e4r33d wrote:
Exactly. But are the new Marzocchi up to that standard ? ???? they are burly and that.

Would go for Zeb only for reasons like way wider service network, availability of parts. You can get tons of tuning options for Lyrik/Zeb (aftermarket dampers, luftkappes etc....), with Z1 there are not much (if any) options.
Also service network is much smaller for Z1.

Well, the reason im taking the Bomber Z1 in consideration, is because its a burly fork and i can always upgrade it with a grip 2 damper

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 9:09 Quote
The Marz are rebranded Fox Rhythms. Basically 36 chassis but made out of cheaper alloy so the fork is heavier and Grip damper. They aren't true Marzocchi's, just like the marz rear coil is basically an old Fox DHX 4/5. It's all Fox's old tech in a flashy red package. Having said that if you don't care at all about weight a Z1 coil fork will perform better than even the latest and best air forks, but expect it to weigh nearly as much as a Boxxer.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 9:27 Quote
I'd shoot for a zeb. They have better bushing overlap and are designed to live at 180mm travel.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 12:00 Quote
Zeb is one heck of a fork, Much better than lyrik ime

Posted: Sep 27, 2020 at 21:17 Quote
Took a good look at a Zeb - whatever the basic one is. Probably RC. Very stout looking and feeling chassis.

Took a good look at a Z1 air. It's a burly Fox 36.

Ended up with a Z1 Coil and I love it. Nice and stiff (I'm about 200 lbs), the Grip damper in there feels great without being over complicated. rides nice and high in the travel. Adjustable travel if you just move some spacers around inside. And since it's a coil it works the same at sea level and in the alpine.

The Zeb would have worked too, but no coil option.

I also disagree about the service thing. If a shop can service a 36 they can do a Z1. I dont think 36 forks are exactly rare.

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 10:08 Quote
Z1, Zeb, Mezzer, Onyx

All are good.

See what prices you can find on each and also what works with your colour scheme. Functionally all are very similar, so look to price and aesthetics next

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 6:00 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Z1, Zeb, Mezzer, Onyx

All are good.

See what prices you can find on each and also what works with your colour scheme. Functionally all are very similar, so look to price and aesthetics next
This is kinda innacurate. You cant say the z1 works same as mezzer. Same goes for onyx. So mich different settings, adjustments and setups.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 8:28 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
tom666 wrote:
Z1, Zeb, Mezzer, Onyx

All are good.

See what prices you can find on each and also what works with your colour scheme. Functionally all are very similar, so look to price and aesthetics next
This is kinda innacurate. You cant say the z1 works same as mezzer. Same goes for onyx. So mich different settings, adjustments and setups.

All of them are good enough that they'll work great for him on a clash. OP hasn't mentioned any specific requirements like being super heavy or racing high level so I expect he'll be able to get a good setup on any of them. They'll all take a drop to flat and a bike park trip with no trouble and people race to high levels on all those forks.

For me I would go with what is in stock, what is a good price and what suits his build.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007696
Mobile Version of Website