Transition Spur

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spur
Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 7:34 Quote
Why do you want more travel?

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 9:25 Quote
nofx007 wrote:
I am also looking at the Pike Ultimate 130mm fork as an option. Has anyone swapped out the SID for a fork with 130mm travel and if so, how did they find it?

ride it as is for a while , ive not found the Sid wanting anywhere in the uk , still 35mm and stiff , such a balanced set up not sure id change up on the bike

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 15:08 Quote
nofx007 wrote:
I am also looking at the Pike Ultimate 130mm fork as an option. Has anyone swapped out the SID for a fork with 130mm travel and if so, how did they find it?

I know a fair amount of people who have done this and heard nothing but good things. I currently have a SC 34 at 120mm on mine, but will be going to a 130mm 34 Grip2 when I can get my hands on one. Slackens it out just a touch I would assume, if you are using the stock headset.

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 17:17 Quote
hukriede wrote:
nofx007 wrote:

I know a fair amount of people who have done this and heard nothing but good things. I currently have a SC 34 at 120mm on mine, but will be going to a 130mm 34 Grip2 when I can get my hands on one. Slackens it out just a touch I would assume, if you are using the stock headset.

Yup, I'm running a 130 Pike and Deluxe and wouldn't see any reason to go back. The Pike is quite noticeably more stiff and planted than the SID Ultimate it replaced. I can really ride much harder over the front without getting knocked off line. It's a combination of both the better damping and stiffer chassis. The difference going from SIDLuxe to Deluxe was also noticeable, but nowhere near as much of a definite improvement as the fork.

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 1:31 Quote
Matt could I ask what fork offset you went with? 42 or 51mm?

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 23:47 Quote
nofx007 wrote:
Matt could I ask what fork offset you went with? 42 or 51mm?

42mm

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 21:10 Quote
There is a Spur Duro forum on PB with folks changing to more stout (Pike or Fox 36) forks and heaftier rear shocks. I'm 175 lbs and have no problems with the stock suspension on the Pac NW trails here. I did add torque caps to the DT front hub to stiffen the fork.
And, yes, I too love the bike. Got mine in August from the Transition Outpost. Love it so much, I upgraded my wife to one as well last month. She has the green with oil slick drivetrain and XX1 AXS. I have the gunpowder with the same build but changed to Minion DHF and R gum wall tires. Same bike but not too matchy matchy with the wife.

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 21:11 Quote
Not sure how to add pictures...
Any help?

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 7:04 Quote
Here's another Spur with 130mm Pike on front. It is very good.
42mm offset and B1 air spring for 125mm of actual travel.Big Grin

photo

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 9:33 Quote
[Quote="bikebasher"]Here's another Spur with 130mm Pike on front. It is very good.
42mm offset and B1 air spring for 125mm of actual travel.Big Grin

photo
[/Quote

I have some silver pike ultimates on order, can't wait. How you finding it compared to the Sid?

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 10:25 Quote
I have not ridden a SID in 15 years, got this Spur as frame/shock in trade.

I will say the Pike feels as good, if not better, than a Fox 34 SC.

It is somewhat special in that the damper is a Charger 2.1 RC with a custom compression & rebound tune, and it has the older B1 style air spring.
Plush, supportive and highly adjustable! Cool

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 8:22 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
nofx007 wrote:
Couple of questions for fellow Spur owners;

- Anyone running a 2.5" width tyre up front? I am after some more grip and looking at the 2.5 Assegai however I see on Transitions website the say max size 2.4?

- I am looking for a bolt on bag to carry multi tool and few bits and pieces, any recommendations?

Cheers

tire size maximum is for the rear. front tire max depends on your fork.

I'm currently running a 2.5 DHF up front and a 2.4 DHR II on the rear. Enough room, but I cannot run larger. I run the DT 1200 wheels with 25mm ID and stock Sid Ultimate fork by the way. I found the Assegai to be a tad wider and flatter, that would be close. Beware, wider rims might widen the tires.

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 8:30 Quote
mcjfunk wrote:
How is the Spur with the 25mm inner width wheel sets on the available builds? Is it a good match for the bike? I’ve been at 30mm or greater on my last two bikes, and would be tempted to go wider over time.

I'm using the stock DT 1200 wheels with DHR DHF WT combo, tire profile is fine. For peace of mind, get a metric ruler and look at 5mm, does that REALLY make or break tire performance?
I decided 'no' and stuck with the light wheels.

Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 6:54 Quote
bikebasher wrote:
I have not ridden a SID in 15 years, got this Spur as frame/shock in trade.

I will say the Pike feels as good, if not better, than a Fox 34 SC.

It is somewhat special in that the damper is a Charger 2.1 RC with a custom compression & rebound tune, and it has the older B1 style air spring.
Plush, supportive and highly adjustable! Cool

Awesome, did you cut the steerer to the same length as the SID's?

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2021 at 9:04 Quote
So my Sid came back from Sram after I sent if off for warranty repair for the bushing issue a second time. They claimed the tolerances were within spec so they sent the fork back with no repairs. To add insult to injury whoever the tech was did not inflate the fork correctly and it was sucking down under the weight of the bike. I could not understand why I could not sag correctly until I noticed that the weight of the bike caused 15% sag. Anyways that was an easy fix. The real slap in the face is the bike shop gave my fork back without the axle. They claimed it came back from Sram without it. So I bought a new $40 axle and a week later the bike shop called and said we found your axle....smh..thanks, how bout you give me my $40 back for the axle you lost? Answer....you need a new one the hex head looks rounded on your axle...so much angst

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012122
Mobile Version of Website