Transition Spur
Posted: Dec 20, 2021 at 9:59 Quote

"Medusa"
XO1

Industry 9 Trail 280 24H w/Hydra &Tannus XC f/r
Absolute Black 34T Oval
I9 A35 40mm stem
SRAM G2 RSC w/ 180 rotors f/r

Love how this bike feels. Amazing technical climber, and loves to send it off jumps. I run 17/19 psi with the inserts, and it feels like I'm riding on a cloud!

The 34T oval needed a different, wider spacer to fit properly. But now it rides great! It matches the 52T Eagle well.

Posted: Dec 25, 2021 at 4:29 Quote
Mine got delayed yet again and I won’t see it now until May 2022. I have other bikes to tide me over but still a disappointment. The black/grey version is coming in April but I prefer to wait.

Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 5:38 Quote
Will the Spur come in different colours for 22 ???

Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 6:44 Quote
They haven't indicated a change on their website or by Googling it. That would make 3 years in a row keeping it the same colours I think.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 18:33 Quote
If anyone wants to trade a used Large black Spur frame for my used Medium black Spur frame, please shoot me a message. I'm also willing to pay for a new Large frame if someone sees one in the wild (at shops) somewhere.

I bought the wrong size last year and I just can't deal with it any longer.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 9:43 Quote
Has anyone heard if, and when the 2022 Spur will be out?

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 10:11 Quote
edummann wrote:
Has anyone heard if, and when the 2022 Spur will be out?
The initial release was June 2020, but I can't remember which month they officially changed the model year to 2021. The only real differences between 2020 and 2021 are various component offerings, of course, and I highly doubt they'll change much for 2022 given the supply chain issues.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 10:13 Quote
transition doesnt really change colors or anything until they release a different version, and given the 3-ish year cycle, i suspect the spur will remain the same until at least '23.

Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 8:44 Quote
Hey folks. This bike is at the top of my list. I am choosing a medium based on the following:

I measure 5 feet 9 and 1/4" tall with about a 31" inseam. My 2017 Medium Giant Anthem X Advanced 29er fits me well, no complaints. Compared to my Medium Giant, the reach of the Medium Spur is 45 mm longer and the Spur's effective top tube length is 8 mm longer. A medium Spur seems like it would be about right for me.

Wondered what others here have chosen for size given your height and inseam.

Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 11:07 Quote
morkys wrote:
Hey folks. This bike is at the top of my list. I am choosing a medium based on the following:

I measure 5 feet 9 and 1/4" tall with about a 31" inseam. My 2017 Medium Giant Anthem X Advanced 29er fits me well, no complaints. Compared to my Medium Giant, the reach of the Medium Spur is 45 mm longer and the Spur's effective top tube length is 8 mm longer. A medium Spur seems like it would be about right for me.

Hey dude,

I am 174cm (5'7 on the nose) and have a medium. For me the saddle is a far back as it goes and it is a perfect fit. With your height I would consider the large.

Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 11:13 Quote
Thanks for the feedback. I think I have figured out one of the missing details that has had me trying to choose size without enough info. In order to compare the reach of bike builds I need to factor in the stem length, correct?

nofx007 wrote:
morkys wrote:

Hey dude,

I am 174cm (5'7 on the nose) and have a medium. For me the saddle is a far back as it goes and it is a perfect fit. With your height I would consider the large.

Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 11:49 Quote
morkys wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I think I have figured out one of the missing details that has had me trying to choose size without enough info. In order to compare the reach of bike builds I need to factor in the stem length, correct?

nofx007 wrote:
morkys wrote:

Hey dude,

Yes. I'm 5ft 10in, 33in inseam, and my Spur is a medium with a 50mm stem.

Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 12:05 Quote
That makes sense. I guess your torso and/or arm length fit the bike. You may have longer legs than I do. I think the reason why riders are finding themselves going up a size with modern bike geometry is because the shorter stems and steeper seat post angles are pushing us closer to the bars.

Comparing the effective top tube and stem length together the numbers for my current medium Giant vs a medium Spur are 684 mm for my bike vs 562 mm for the Spur.

pyromaniac wrote:
morkys wrote:

nofx007 wrote:

Hey dude,

Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 15:05 Quote
morkys wrote:
That makes sense. I guess your torso and/or arm length fit the bike. You may have longer legs than I do. I think the reason why riders are finding themselves going up a size with modern bike geometry is because despite the shorter stems, the steep seat post angles are pushing us closer to the bars.

Comparing the effective top tube and stem length together the numbers for my current medium Giant vs a medium Spur are 684 mm for my bike vs 562 mm for the Spur.

pyromaniac wrote:
morkys wrote:

5’ 10” makes sense for the medium. The gentleman saying at 5’7” with the seat all the way back doesn’t to me. I’m 5’7” and I highly doubt I would to push it all the way back. Maybe on a small frame. Currently on all my medium bikes with slightly slacker seat tubes the seat is all the way forward as far as they can go. Same with all my previous medium sized bikes.

Posted: Feb 17, 2022 at 5:46 Quote
morkys wrote:

I'm about 5' 9.75" and my Medium Spur just doesn't work as well for me as I had hoped. I've been searching for a size Large frame for quite some time to make a switch, but no luck so far.

I currently have the seat slammed as far back as it will go, cut the bars to 780mm and rolled them forward, and even swapped in a 60mm stem to try to stretch it out a bit. None of that was enough. The problem is that I still feel cramped in the cockpit, and I don't have anything else I can really do to address the issue. The cramped feeling makes climbing a bit awkward, and it's also cramped when I'm riding on flat terrain while seated. A slightly longer wheelbase when descending in anything really technical and steep would obviously be beneficial, as well.

At this weird middle height of 5'9 - 5'10", I honestly think it comes down to just personal taste, riding style, and individual body geometry. There's just no substitute for test rides -- which is really unfortunate considering the lack of test ride opportunities for most of the world.

I based my original buying decision on sizing advice directly from the Transition engineers themselves, and even that turned out to be wrong in my situation. For that reason, I really can't make any recommendation either way for anyone else. Sadly, I think you're on your own with this one.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007436
Mobile Version of Website