Transition Spur

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spur
Posted: Apr 18, 2022 at 18:54 Quote
ruffm wrote:
Need Help- out of options

The Sidluxe is leaking on my spur. The bike shop is telling me theres no kits available until June and I am not finding any online either. Everyone seems to be out of stock.

Does anyone know where to source these? If I can't should I just buy a used shock somewhere? What would you do?

if its a bit of oil on the stanchion, that is normal on this shock. Mine did that immediately after a service last year. don't worry about it, wipe it off

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2022 at 20:19 Quote
I should clarify…. It’s leaking air.

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2022 at 21:14 Quote
ruffm wrote:
I should clarify…. It’s leaking air.

i would just buy a different shock for now and send it in when you can. pointless to waste riding time waiting for bs

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 4:38 Quote
Looks to be many take-off x-fusion shocks from stumpy alloys for 100 in the classifieds if you really need something now. Gets to 250 before you get a regular fox dps or deluxe. Maybe get them down closer to 200, depending on condition.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 8:09 Quote
lwkwafi wrote:
Looks to be many take-off x-fusion shocks from stumpy alloys for 100 in the classifieds if you really need something now. Gets to 250 before you get a regular fox dps or deluxe. Maybe get them down closer to 200, depending on condition.

Any thoughts if the Fox would be an upgrade?

I might have fixed it but need to ride to confirm. I took it apart and cleaned all the seals (a lot of black stuff came off) re-lubed and installed the token that I have been wanting to try. I was able to pump it up enough to set sag and so far its held overnight. I will have to ride to know for sure. If this doesn't work, I may just upgrade the shock.

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 10:30 Quote
I mostly ride steep, rocky double blacks around Pacifica as well as some jump trails - definitely beyond what Transition intended. I found the stock Spur woefully underdamped and my SID developed bushing play in a few months. So I swapped in a Cane Creek DB Air Inline shock along with a 130mm Helm Mkii fork and it really transformed the bike to a more damped, supported, controlled ride on chunky descents. The bike actually climbs better with the infinitely variable climb switch on the shock that dials up the LSC and LSR, rather than the lockout on the SIDluxe. At 130mm up front, your weight distribution doesn't change much so the handling is still very balanced. Long story short, there's a ton of room for improvement over stock suspension and I am thrilled with these upgrades.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 10:43 Quote
fentoncrackshell wrote:
I mostly ride steep, rocky double blacks around Pacifica as well as some jump trails - definitely beyond what Transition intended. I found the stock Spur woefully underdamped and my SID developed bushing play in a few months. So I swapped in a Cane Creek DB Air Inline shock along with a 130mm Helm Mkii fork and it really transformed the bike to a more damped, supported, controlled ride on chunky descents. The bike actually climbs better with the infinitely variable climb switch on the shock that dials up the LSC and LSR, rather than the lockout on the SIDluxe. At 130mm up front, your weight distribution doesn't change much so the handling is still very balanced. Long story short, there's a ton of room for improvement over stock suspension and I am thrilled with these upgrades.

Cane Creek rear shock is one I haven't looked at.

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 10:52 Quote
fentoncrackshell wrote:

this is EXACTLY the plan I have. CC Helm at 125mm or 130mm, and a DB InLine in the rear.

Now I have to ask - can you post some pictures?1 I would love to see this!

I have the fork set aside already. Just need to find the shock.

I am not swooning over the stock suspension, that's for sure.

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 12:28 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
this is EXACTLY the plan I have. CC Helm at 125mm or 130mm, and a DB InLine in the rear.

Now I have to ask - can you post some pictures?1 I would love to see this!

I have the fork set aside already. Just need to find the shock.

I am not swooning over the stock suspension, that's for sure.

Sure, here's a link to photo:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/d3Bsfmggb6pWdQ3r5

And if it saves you some tinkering, here are my settings based on my weight of 165 lbs without gear, optimized for the steeps. Good luck!

Fork:
Travel: 130mm
Pressure: Air the main chamber up to 71 psi, equalize the negative chamber, then bleed of 2-3 psi in the positive chamber for sensitivity off the top
Volume Reduction: 2 stops down from the top
HSC: 2 clicks from full open normally, 4 clicks for jumps
LSC: 1 click from full open
Rebound: 4 clicks in from full open

Shock:
Pressure: 210 psi
Volume Reduction: Cut down to 3 bands (Note: Install the spacers BEFORE you mount the shock in the frame.)
HSC: 3 turns in from full open
HSR: 3 turns in from full open
LSR: 13 clicks in from full open
LSC: Switch is open unless climbing fire roads

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 12:55 Quote
fentoncrackshell wrote:

So youre saying the stock suspension is not good on trails that the bike wasnt designed for. Hmm…

The sid was not my favorite on rougher trails, but i didnt buy the spur for those.

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 13:45 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
fentoncrackshell wrote:

So youre saying the stock suspension is not good on trails that the bike wasnt designed for. Hmm…

The sid was not my favorite on rougher trails, but i didnt buy the spur for those.

Ultimately no matter what the riding, the CC stuff won't get rattly and creaky! And it gives you far more latitude for tuning.

I think that is the point here.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 14:02 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
fentoncrackshell wrote:

Ultimately no matter what the riding, the CC stuff won't get rattly and creaky! And it gives you far more latitude for tuning.

I think that is the point here.

Yeah i get that, its just kind of ridiculous to buy a spur with a stock Sid and then claim the bike is woefully underdamped when you're mostly riding 'rocky double blacks'. ive ridden those trails a few times and while they'd be fine on a spur in a pinch, that wouldnt be my bike of choice if I lived there.

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 14:21 Quote
newbermuda wrote:

Not quite. Some people want the feedback and agility of a short travel bike for DH trails and still need to climb up to those trails. For every 6 mile loop of my local trail system, I have to climb 1700 ft with sustained grades over 20%. I also want the flexibility of riding long days at elevation on Tahoe Rim, so pushing a 33lb Sentinel/Spire isn't the best choice for me.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 15:59 Quote
I'm definitely thinking of getting at least a regular Deluxe ultimate, maybe the super deluxe with the shorter piggy back reservoir swapped in.
Back end does need to get balanced with the pike ultimate, which is fantastic. Would consider other suspension, but not as good of deals available.

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 17:59 Quote
lwkwafi wrote:
I'm definitely thinking of getting at least a regular Deluxe ultimate, maybe the super deluxe with the shorter piggy back reservoir swapped in.
Back end does need to get balanced with the pike ultimate, which is fantastic. Would consider other suspension, but not as good of deals available.

Buy the CC. Life is too short to compromise on suspension =P

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011964
Mobile Version of Website