Transition Spur

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spur
Posted: May 2, 2022 at 7:02 Quote
Looking at getting a spur as a trail bike. Have a bird AM9 29er enduro bike at the moment but sometimes it feels a bit much on tight twisting trails and maybe a bit heavy.

Was thinking of getting one of these or the scout. Anyone ridden one of these and the scout and have a comparison?

Thanks

Posted: May 2, 2022 at 7:51 Quote
Dancotter wrote:
Looking at getting a spur as a trail bike. Have a bird AM9 29er enduro bike at the moment but sometimes it feels a bit much on tight twisting trails and maybe a bit heavy.

Was thinking of getting one of these or the scout. Anyone ridden one of these and the scout and have a comparison?

Thanks

the spur and the scout are very different. the scout feels nimble and compact but still has the angles and suspension for chunky trails. it doesnt climb that great either, and will probably be near in weight to your other bike.
the spur feels quick and nimble but the suspension makes the bike feel much more stiff and efficient. the angles allow for some comfort in descending but its better in tight turns than in a straight line. i would get a spur for what you're looking for.

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 13:38 Quote
Bit of a long shot....

.... anyone in the UK selling a size large Spur Bike/Frame?

I have a frame on order, with estimated delivery of Decemeber. Would consider a mint/very good cond. 2nd hand if anyone thinking of selling.

Cheers

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 22:04 Quote
We had a customer cancel his order of a small Spur XO in Black Powder due to the length of time it took to get (over a year). It's sitting on the floor in our shop in San Diego. I won't ship it. In person sale only at this time.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 5:44 Quote
fentoncrackshell wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:
this is EXACTLY the plan I have. CC Helm at 125mm or 130mm, and a DB InLine in the rear.

Now I have to ask - can you post some pictures?1 I would love to see this!

I have the fork set aside already. Just need to find the shock.

I am not swooning over the stock suspension, that's for sure.

Sure, here's a link to photo:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/d3Bsfmggb6pWdQ3r5

And if it saves you some tinkering, here are my settings based on my weight of 165 lbs without gear, optimized for the steeps. Good luck!

Fork:
Travel: 130mm
Pressure: Air the main chamber up to 71 psi, equalize the negative chamber, then bleed of 2-3 psi in the positive chamber for sensitivity off the top
Volume Reduction: 2 stops down from the top
HSC: 2 clicks from full open normally, 4 clicks for jumps
LSC: 1 click from full open
Rebound: 4 clicks in from full open

Shock:
Pressure: 210 psi
Volume Reduction: Cut down to 3 bands (Note: Install the spacers BEFORE you mount the shock in the frame.)
HSC: 3 turns in from full open
HSR: 3 turns in from full open
LSR: 13 clicks in from full open
LSC: Switch is open unless climbing fire roads

Nice to see that there are no clearance issues with the DBair IL. Might put in a preorder to replace my upgraded Stumpjumper ST and Chisel HT with a dream build Spur.

Posted: Jun 26, 2022 at 20:15 Quote
I'm looking to changing the handlebar with slightly more back sweep (9 degree minimum). I'm thinking Nukeproof Horizon Carbon: It comes with 25mm or 38mm. To me the 25mm makes sense for the Spur but are there folks who would side with the 38mm instead? I do a lot of climbing so don't want to sacrifice that either.

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 7:43 Quote
gabe999 wrote:
I'm looking to changing the handlebar with slightly more back sweep (9 degree minimum). I'm thinking Nukeproof Horizon Carbon: It comes with 25mm or 38mm. To me the 25mm makes sense for the Spur but are there folks who would side with the 38mm instead? I do a lot of climbing so don't want to sacrifice that either.
I've been running a 20mm rise bar, to preserve climbing ability and weight distribution, but I also run 130mm so my stack is already higher. It still feels balanced and neutral in handling.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 6:20 Quote
For the guys that have fitted 130mm Pike Ultimates to their Spurs, curious if you have either fitted more or reduced from the two tokens fitted from the factory? I would say I ride more DH aggressive style and at 75kgs with kit have fitted another token so running three. I am finding it great for the mellow stuff however when hitting rougher, larger terrain or long decents and even though using all travel, it is too harsh. I have reduced air and messed about with the rebound, HSC and LSC and think have dialled however just not feeling right. Curious to hear other guys experiences.

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 7:46 Quote
nofx007 wrote:
For the guys that have fitted 130mm Pike Ultimates to their Spurs, curious if you have either fitted more or reduced from the two tokens fitted from the factory? I would say I ride more DH aggressive style and at 75kgs with kit have fitted another token so running three. I am finding it great for the mellow stuff however when hitting rougher, larger terrain or long decents and even though using all travel, it is too harsh. I have reduced air and messed about with the rebound, HSC and LSC and think have dialled however just not feeling right. Curious to hear other guys experiences.
Sounds like you're running too little air with spacers, so you're sitting too low in travel and ramping up harshly. It's counterintuitive, but try more air first, for more support. Back off on compression damping until you get air spring and spacers right - too much LSC/HSC can make it harsh.

Posted: Jul 31, 2022 at 10:59 Quote
Going to get my frameset hopefully by Wednesday. Going for a burlier build as that's what I have in terms of components. Hoping then to get it built up by Thursday and get many many miles on this and see if the hype is legitimate. Been a bit since last time I owned a Transition, but I am excited to be on one again. Build I suspect will weigh around the 30 lb mark, and if its a tiny bit less than that, well I'll be happy regardless as it'll be a good deal lighter than my last few builds. Once its built up, I'll take a mandatory picture and my first impression. I'm excited.

Rockshox Pike
Rockshox SID stock rear shock
SRAM AXS X01
SRAM AXS Reverb 170m
SRAM Descendant carbon 175mm crankset w/ 32T chainring
SRAM X01 Eagle 52T Cassette
SRAM Code R Brakes w/ 180mm rotors F+R
Deity Speedtrap saddle
Deity Supracush grips
Deity Copperhead 50mm 31.8 stem
HT X2 pedals
ENVE M9 handlebar with 30mm rise 760mm wide
ENVE M930 wheelset DHF/Dissector 2.5 & 2.4 EXO

Posted: Jul 31, 2022 at 13:13 Quote
My bet is that'll be close to 28lbs. Not far off from my X01 build that's sitting under 26lbs. Major changes are SID Fork vs Pike, G2 vs Codes, and wheels. That wheelset is HEAVY! I would swap it out, but other than that, bike will shred.

austenselk wrote:
Going to get my frameset hopefully by Wednesday. Going for a burlier build as that's what I have in terms of components. Hoping then to get it built up by Thursday and get many many miles on this and see if the hype is legitimate. Been a bit since last time I owned a Transition, but I am excited to be on one again. Build I suspect will weigh around the 30 lb mark, and if its a tiny bit less than that, well I'll be happy regardless as it'll be a good deal lighter than my last few builds. Once its built up, I'll take a mandatory picture and my first impression. I'm excited.

Rockshox Pike
SRAM AXS X01
SRAM AXS Reverb 170m
Deity Speedtrap saddle
Deity Supracush grips
HT X2 pedals

Posted: Jul 31, 2022 at 14:10 Quote
We shall see! I have loved these ENVE's for a few years now and have used them across a number of different builds. Perhaps down the road, but it'll be interesting to have a build at or under 30lbs as that'll be a first.

tgent wrote:
My bet is that'll be close to 28lbs. Not far off from my X01 build that's sitting under 26lbs. Major changes are SID Fork vs Pike, G2 vs Codes, and wheels. That wheelset is HEAVY! I would swap it out, but other than that, bike will shred.

austenselk wrote:

Rockshox Pike
SRAM AXS X01
SRAM AXS Reverb 170m
Deity Speedtrap saddle
Deity Supracush grips
HT X2 pedals

Posted: Jul 31, 2022 at 15:50 Quote
Still sitting on a size small XO Spur in gunpowder. Willing to ship at customer's expense.

Posted: Jul 31, 2022 at 15:56 Quote
Was at Bike Zone in Mississauga just a few days ago who have a gunpowder medium on hand. If anyone is looking.

Posted: Jul 31, 2022 at 18:38 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
Was at Bike Zone in Mississauga just a few days ago who have a gunpowder medium on hand. If anyone is looking.

I have a GX on order since last November which keeps getting pushed off. It's from that same store which is selling a X01 kit. I looked at it. I did a very short ride on it as well. It's a $1700 difference with taxes compared to the GX. I couldn't bring myself to do it even though we don't know when my GX is coming. I already have a 28mm ID carbon wheelset and I bought a 165mm crankset. The X01 comes with DT Swiss 25mm alum wheels. Nothing wrong with that but I already have the other wheelset. Also 25mm is on the absolute narrow side of what 2.4" tires should go on in the opinions of many (including Maxxis). A 175mm crankset doesn't belong on a medium frame IMO. I can feel my knees and hips complaining already...and the peddle strikes. 170mm more appropriate for a medium. Thought also about buying the bike and selling the parts but I'm not keen on that. Still crosses my mind though. I better think fast because I'm sure it will sell fast!! Smile Open to other opinions.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006013
Mobile Version of Website