Transition Spur

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spur
Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 13:12 Quote
bloodytesla wrote:
Andrewleeinhouse wrote:
Your pike pressure seems normal for your weight but 240 in the rear seems a little odd. I can’t imagine that rides very good.
Yeah, agree. I was 215 lbs and I never hit that pressure when I had a SidLuxe. I'm 205 lbs on a Deluxe Ultimate now and still only at 215 psi for 27% sag with a RWC bearing kit.

I like my suspension on the stiffer side of things. I'll keep tinkering away and see how it feels as I spend more and more time in the saddle. I rode this morning, and will get a couple more rides on it today as it's my day off.

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 13:29 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
Andrewleeinhouse wrote:

Your pike pressure seems normal for your weight but 240 in the rear seems a little odd. I can’t imagine that rides very good.

I also weigh 180-185 and used 230psi, kept things nice and efficient

165 here, and I was using 210psi or so most of the time I was using the SIDLuxe. I just moved over to the Deluxe Ultimate and I'm running lower now, at around 160-165psi. Thinking I like the Deluxe better.
I’ve been thinking about going the same route with the deluxe ultimate. How does it feel in comparison to the sid ?

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 14:06 Quote
Andrewleeinhouse wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

I also weigh 180-185 and used 230psi, kept things nice and efficient

165 here, and I was using 210psi or so most of the time I was using the SIDLuxe. I just moved over to the Deluxe Ultimate and I'm running lower now, at around 160-165psi. Thinking I like the Deluxe better.
I’ve been thinking about going the same route with the deluxe ultimate. How does it feel in comparison to the sid ?

I'm still getting a feel for it, but so far it feels smoother. Stock tune on the SIDluxe was medium compression and a single spacer, and I have bought a L (low) compression tune in the Deluxe as I am 160lbs now but often get as low as 145lbs when riding a lot. Low compression tune is the next lightest down the line (then I believe L1 and LC are even lighter). So far, similarly 1 spacer and the stock small volume air can, and I find the shock still pedals really efficiently. I'm riding lower pressure, hitting about the same sag, and even with just the one stock volume spacer I'm using all travel without any bottom-outs I can feel though the bike. It feels smoother, just as efficient, and a little more playful. One thing I found about the SIDLuxe was there was only one setting on the rebound I found usable, or it was either way to fast or too slow. The linear tune on the Deluxe, I sit right in the middle off, and I can use a click or two in either direction and get a change that's usable and meaningful - so I guess that is to say there is a more usable range there for me. And you get a little three setting for low speed compression which is nice. so I have been playing a little with spacers and the low speed comp trying to see what I like best. Ive tried one more spacer, and it;s a little more supportive in the last bit of travel, but I am not sure it needs to be in there so I have removed it. I like the extra platform the firmer low speed compression ads when driving hard into corners, and love that I can open it up as well.

I really need to find the time to toss the shockwiz on and see what it says. When I do I'll report back. but so far, I really like it. I've also (in spite of saying I would never) paired it with a 120mm Pike up front, just because the 2022 forks are being cleared out. The really pair well together in my opinion. All in all the bike almost feels like ti has more travel than with the SID front and rear.

I have also though about going with Cane Creek suspension as those guys are my favorite, but I am content with how the Pike and Deluxe are working.

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 14:43 Quote
austenselk wrote:
bloodytesla wrote:
Yeah, agree. I was 215 lbs and I never hit that pressure when I had a SidLuxe. I'm 205 lbs on a Deluxe Ultimate now and still only at 215 psi for 27% sag with a RWC bearing kit.
I like my suspension on the stiffer side of things. I'll keep tinkering away and see how it feels as I spend more and more time in the saddle. I rode this morning, and will get a couple more rides on it today as it's my day off.
Now that I think of it, I just remembered the shock pump I used when I used to have the SidLuxe was widly off -- like, 50 psi off. So yeah, maybe 240 for you isn't as odd as I initially thought.

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 14:19 Quote
Spent roughly 8 hours in the saddle between Thursday and today, and I definitely still need to tinker with my suspension.

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 14:48 Quote
So I figured before I continued assuming you guys were all crazy for running such big pressures in your sidluxe I would give it a try. Weighing 165lbs I normally run around 180psi, I decided to try out 205psi. Took two runs down one of the chunkiest local steeps and was pretty damn surprised. Never bottomed once and still felt rather plush on the chattery small stuff. I guess you guys got me convinced. Another ride tomorrow morning to see how it feels and make sure it wasn’t just placebo✌️

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 15:58 Quote
Hi, does anyone know the codes/sizes I need to replace the headset bearings in the stock FSA no.57E headset?
Tried looking online, and seen mixed answers.
Hoping to avoid taking it apart just to look.
Thanks!

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 13:44 Quote
[Quote="k1campbell"]Hi, does anyone know the codes/sizes I need to replace the headset bearings in the stock FSA no.57E headset?

• Orbit 1.5 ZS Internal Headset {2051A}
• 5.3/12.8 Black NO.57 ZS44/28.6 (36x45) | ZS56/39.78 (36x45)

While you're doing it just replace the cups too. The FSA are OK but there are better ones out there. The Cane Creek Hellbender are really nice and fairly affordable.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 14:34 Quote
[Quote="mjscyclery"]
k1campbell wrote:
Hi, does anyone know the codes/sizes I need to replace the headset bearings in the stock FSA no.57E headset?

• Orbit 1.5 ZS Internal Headset {2051A}
• 5.3/12.8 Black NO.57 ZS44/28.6 (36x45) | ZS56/39.78 (36x45)

While you're doing it just replace the cups too. The FSA are OK but there are better ones out there. The Cane Creek Hellbender are really nice and fairly affordable.

Hellbenders are great, as are the 40 series cane creek makes.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 14:54 Quote
mjscyclery wrote:
Would be inclined to agree with this. I've replaced the lower bearing on my FSA no.57E twice on my Sentinel, and have needed to replace it zero times on my Spur with a Cane Creek 40, despite owning the Spur longer and having roughly the same amount of miles.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 15:07 Quote
Hellbender 70 all the way. Much better sealed than the stock 40.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 23:04 Quote
100/240psi is a bit too much for me when riding the more extreme terrain when riding my Spur. Think I'll try just knocking off 5psi both in the front and the rear, then see where that leads and how it feels. The trail and network I rode today is smooth at first and then ramps up to jagged natural rocks, roots, and then as you continue onwards it gets more into smoother roller type terrain. I noticed the limitations of the geometry on the jagged rocky terrain a lot more with the aforementioned pressures and as I got to the rolling type terrain I then noticed the suspension working much better. After work tomorrow and adjustment of dropping the pressures a smidge, I'll ride it on another trail and network that is similar albeit much shorter in length.

After that if it's still on the harsher side when riding jagged rocky terrain, I'll drop the pressures another 5psi both front and rear try again.

I know that any less than that and then I don't have the support I need in the turns. So it'll be interesting.

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 3:26 Quote
GX / Deore build riders, does anyone know if an FSA MR127 / TH-073E lower bearing will fit the stock headset?

Checked the bearing number last night and it comes with an MR019 / TH-073DJ bearing which is completely out of stock everywhere. Only difference is that the MR127 is 0.5mm taller than the MR019. Every other measurement is the same.

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 21:17 Quote
Got my suspension dialed in. Now for the cockpit. Stack height is on the high side currently what with 25mm of spacers underneath my stem and a 30mm rise handlebar. Also, I'm of the opinion now that I've spent a couple weeks riding it, that I need to get rid of some excess weight from this build... (sigh)

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 8:57 Quote
Dropped to just a single 10mm spacer underneath my stem and tweaked the roll of my bars just a twitch, and KAPO! Cockpit is dialed and suspension is bangin'. Now, to take stock of how much money I'll need to spend to drop the weight.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007165
Mobile Version of Website