PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spur
O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 7:34 Quote
Looks like July for me. Can't wait.

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 10:40 Quote
Dschulte wrote:
Has anybody experimented with beefier suspension on one of these yet? A rear shock with a bit more support ((dpx2 or superdeluxe ult) not sure if there would be clearance issues)) and a more stout fork with 140mm travel (like a helm mk2)? I'm super interested in building up one of these frames. I ride mostly enduro style trails, but coming from a bmx background I really like to play around and throw the bike wherever. I'm a pretty smooth rider, but some of the trails I ride have 20-40ft jumps still. It isn't the travel numbers that worry me on this, more so just the level of support I would need to ride said trails with this little suspension. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Cheers!

I cringe when I hear 140 and beefier when referring to a Spur. The bike is capable, but I think your better served to put an enduro bike on a diet, rather than try to beef out a Spur.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 10:45 Quote
Dschulte wrote:
Has anybody experimented with beefier suspension on one of these yet? A rear shock with a bit more support ((dpx2 or superdeluxe ult) not sure if there would be clearance issues)) and a more stout fork with 140mm travel (like a helm mk2)? I'm super interested in building up one of these frames. I ride mostly enduro style trails, but coming from a bmx background I really like to play around and throw the bike wherever. I'm a pretty smooth rider, but some of the trails I ride have 20-40ft jumps still. It isn't the travel numbers that worry me on this, more so just the level of support I would need to ride said trails with this little suspension. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Cheers!

the bike is designed around the 120/120 platform with the ability to shorten the rear travel , really think to make the changes detailed above would change how the bike feels for the worse , I think a different bike altogether would be a better choice if your looking for a hard charging short travel bike , that said the Sid far outperforms its numbers , I ride all the enduro style trails around me with confidence , but wouldn't be hitting 40' jumps on my spur

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 11:40 Quote
scblurlt wrote:
Dschulte wrote:

the bike is designed around the 120/120 platform with the ability to shorten the rear travel , really think to make the changes detailed above would change how the bike feels for the worse , I think a different bike altogether would be a better choice if your looking for a hard charging short travel bike , that said the Sid far outperforms its numbers , I ride all the enduro style trails around me with confidence , but wouldn't be hitting 40' jumps on my spur

This^

Spur is more neutral and balanced. It will do a little of everything, but its main focus is efficiency for the long days.

If you want 140mm front and a bigger shock......SC Tallboy 4, Norco Optic, Ibis Ripmo, Yeti SB130, etc.

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 6:23 Quote
Picking up a new GX build from the shop this afternoon or tomorrow. I had been hunting for an xc bike like a blur TR for the last month and finally found one used, but then I was down at my lbs yesterday and was told they have one XL in the box waiting to be built, so im going to take that instead.

Planning to use it to complement my enduro/AM bike as a marathon XC/exploring bike, i have some big 60-75 mile rides in mind for it. Probably going to leave it stock for a bit, drop a spacer in the shock to get 100mm travel and add some reserve 25s. wheel swap alone should drop almost a pound in weight

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Picking up a new GX build from the shop this afternoon or tomorrow. I had been hunting for an xc bike like a blur TR for the last month and finally found one used, but then I was down at my lbs yesterday and was told they have one XL in the box waiting to be built, so im going to take that instead.

Planning to use it to complement my enduro/AM bike as a marathon XC/exploring bike, i have some big 60-75 mile rides in mind for it. Probably going to leave it stock for a bit, drop a spacer in the shock to get 100mm travel and add some reserve 25s. wheel swap alone should drop almost a pound in weight

Literally doing this same exact thing. Have a Specialized Enduro and building up a custom Spur for huge ride days and adventure backcountry riding. Stoked for it to come in. End of Feb for my completed build.

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 10:09 Quote
What about a Helm WS130 set at 120mm?
Beefier fork - much better damper, still using the bike as intended.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 11:11 Quote
adamwild wrote:
What about a Helm WS130 set at 120mm?
Beefier fork - much better damper, still using the bike as intended.

That plus a DB Inline. Would be my ideal setup I think.

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 11:18 Quote
if you want a 1 bike set up, then that would be good. I rode my spur on sunday and while it is obviously quick on climbs and traversing trails, you can really let it eat on the descents. Pretty easy to find the limit but riding your bike at its limits is the most fun. I found it really only gets overwhelmed on the chunkier trails around here, but anything steep and rutted, this thing becomes a KOM hunter

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 13:59 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
if you want a 1 bike set up, then that would be good. I rode my spur on sunday and while it is obviously quick on climbs and traversing trails, you can really let it eat on the descents. Pretty easy to find the limit but riding your bike at its limits is the most fun. I found it really only gets overwhelmed on the chunkier trails around here, but anything steep and rutted, this thing becomes a KOM hunter

Screw KOM's, the is so playful and capable, I'm always looking for the fun line, the whoops and boosters. This things turns boring XC trails into party time, and lets me party longer and harder. And to remind myself of that, I have one of these stuck to my Spur's top tube.

photo

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 14:11 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

Screw KOM's, the is so playful and capable, I'm always looking for the fun line, the whoops and boosters. This things turns boring XC trails into party time, and lets me party longer and harder. And to remind myself of that, I have one of these stuck to my Spur's top tube.

photo

So why not take the fun line and also be the fastest, at the back end of a 40 miler? if there were ever to be a bike that was the definition of "fast = fun", i think the spur would be it.

I have a keep tobias blue sticker in that same spot.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 14:20 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

photo

So why not take the fun line and also be the fastest, at the back end of a 40 miler? if there were ever to be a bike that was the definition of "fast = fun", i think the spur would be it.

I agree, you can be fun and fast =P

I'm not the fastest however, ad the Spur isn't going to solve that, so I'd rather focus o the fun =)

I am a tongue in cheek strava hater lol

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 15:00 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:

photo

I'm not the fastest however, ad the Spur isn't going to solve that, so I'd rather focus o the fun =)

Fair enough, if you're not having fun then you're definitely doing it wrong! The CK headset looks great in there btw

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 21:05 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

Fair enough, if you're not having fun then you're definitely doing it wrong! The CK headset looks great in there btw

Thank ya!

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 6:17 Quote
I was waiting for an updated smuggler, then the spur came out instead. Overall the spur sounds a little lite duty. Why does the spur get such good pedal review and the smuggler doesn't? Other then weight and 20 mm fork difference then are vary similar.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017150
Mobile Version of Website