Transition Spur

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spur
Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 9:28 Quote
austenselk wrote:
Dropped to just a single 10mm spacer underneath my stem and tweaked the roll of my bars just a twitch, and KAPO! Cockpit is dialed and suspension is bangin'. Now, to take stock of how much money I'll need to spend to drop the weight.

Wheels and tires man, looking at your build, that'll be the biggest bang for your buck! Unfortunately also a rather expensive bit lol. Could drop some weight in brakes, but I always like to be able to actually stop personally.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 13:55 Quote
tgent wrote:
austenselk wrote:
Dropped to just a single 10mm spacer underneath my stem and tweaked the roll of my bars just a twitch, and KAPO! Cockpit is dialed and suspension is bangin'. Now, to take stock of how much money I'll need to spend to drop the weight.

Wheels and tires man, looking at your build, that'll be the biggest bang for your buck! Unfortunately also a rather expensive bit lol. Could drop some weight in brakes, but I always like to be able to actually stop personally.

Agreed, and yes. I prefer to be able to stop as well haha.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 20:19 Quote

New grips installed. Handlebars slightly rolled and after changing the height, it is perfect. Along with the suspension now perfected. It is perfect, and now just to get some of the excess weight off of it, and it'll be a rocket ship!

Also, I hadn't been using my tailgate pad to transport my bike around because it was wearing on my RideWrap and I was afraid it would start to wear into the paint. So I went to my LBS who had a Yeti shuttle guard and FYI, it fits perfectly.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 7:12 Quote
Try Velocity Blunt SS rims. I run them on my Phantom and have been really happy with them. Not as strong as carbon but about 1/3 the price and pretty close in weight.

Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 22:46 Quote
mjscyclery wrote:
Try Velocity Blunt SS rims. I run them on my Phantom and have been really happy with them. Not as strong as carbon but about 1/3 the price and pretty close in weight.
I'll look into it.

Everyone, how light have you built up your Spur to be?

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 9:21 Quote
So starting with:
CC Helm MKII Air 130mm fork
CC DB Air IL shock
One Up V2 180mm post
XT group set
OneUp aluminium flats
One up carbon bar
Thomson x4 50mm stem
SDG radar ti saddle

With Enduro S 1/1's & Dissector/DHRII combo, SLX cassette: 30lbs
With 27mm internal LB carbon wheels and Reckon/Dissector combo and XT cassette: 28lbs

I prefer the heavier set up for steeps and jumps, so I ride that more often.

O+
Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 10:09 Quote
when i had a spur, i got it down to 26lbs with a wheelset swap and GX eagle, no pedals.

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 11:56 Quote
austenselk wrote:
mjscyclery wrote:
I'll look into it.

Everyone, how light have you built up your Spur to be?

Also 26.0 lbs, size Large, mostly stock X01 build so far.

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 12:31 Quote
Mine should be under 25lbs. Medium, Pike Ulitmate, Sidluxe Ultimate, Crossmax SL wheels, flat narrow bars, DHR2 front, Rekon rear, XX1 11s cassette, XX1 crank, X01 rear mech, Vecnum Nivo dropper, HT M1 pedals.

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 7:44 Quote
I’m on a large with the deore build. With ht pedals, one up carbon bar, ground control t5 tires, and I9 1/1 / lightbicycle am30s carbon wheelset(very happy with them so far) I’m down to 28.2(with pedals). Next is a XT cassette I have on the shelf and looking for a crank upgrade. Bike is awesome as is tho

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 8:13 Quote
I think I ring in around 26lbs +/-

Swapped to Pike/Deluxe, South Industries rims on Onyx Classic hubs, Forekaster tires.

Absolutely loving the South Industries XC hoops, 28mm wide, light, and surprisingly tough for a fairly light weight rim.

Posted: Aug 26, 2022 at 0:16 Quote
Got a chance to perhaps buy an ENVE M630 wheelset, compared to my M930 I'd lose 1.5 lbs swapping the wheelset, and at the same time I'd also be putting on new tires which will drop another 200 grams compared to my current tire setup. Is it worth it? Or should I perhaps just try new tires to see how that goes? It's still a lot of money, and I'm hesitant for spending that much. My current ENVE wheelset I've had now for four years, across many different framesets and they've been excellent.

Posted: Aug 26, 2022 at 0:22 Quote
austenselk wrote:
Got a chance to perhaps buy an ENVE M630 wheelset, compared to my M930 I'd lose 1.5 lbs swapping the wheelset, and at the same time I'd also be putting on new tires which will drop another 200 grams compared to my current tire setup. Is it worth it? Or should I perhaps just try new tires to see how that goes? It's still a lot of money, and I'm hesitant for spending that much. My current ENVE wheelset I've had now for four years, across many different framesets and they've been excellent.

I also swapped out my stem for a RaceFace Respond stem that is 45mm length and has a 10 degree rise. Going to play around with this for a bit and see if that ever so slightly shorter than the stock 50mm length stem is a better fit. I tried a 35mm length stem and found it to be way too short to be comfortable. Might have to go back to playing with my stack height because of the larger degree of rise that this RaceFace stem has.

Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 6:58 Quote
austenselk wrote:

Certainly you get more bang for the buck with a tire change. A faster tread pattern and weight reduction at the tire will make a bigger difference than weight reduction at the rim in terms of acceleration.

Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 23:46 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
austenselk wrote:

Certainly you get more bang for the buck with a tire change. A faster tread pattern and weight reduction at the tire will make a bigger difference than weight reduction at the rim in terms of acceleration.

Why not both, haha.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011094
Mobile Version of Website