Transition Spur

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spur
Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 7:42 Quote
Andrewleeinhouse wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
I always find it funny that people want to take the spur which is a lightweight 120mm xc trail bike, and build it “more aggressive”. Just get a different bike. It rides way better with light, springy components, and guys win races on it with the stock setups as is.
I think that just depends on that kind of trails you typically ride and how skilled of a rider you are. As some one who has a spur both “stock” and “more aggressive” I’ll take the latter all day. A bike that can do big endurance days, handle the steep chunk quite well and even a blast at the bike park.

1000%

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 9:24 Quote
Andrewleeinhouse wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
I always find it funny that people want to take the spur which is a lightweight 120mm xc trail bike, and build it “more aggressive”. Just get a different bike. It rides way better with light, springy components, and guys win races on it with the stock setups as is.
I think that just depends on that kind of trails you typically ride and how skilled of a rider you are. As some one who has a spur both “stock” and “more aggressive” I’ll take the latter all day. A bike that can do big endurance days, handle the steep chunk quite well and even a blast at the bike park.

A skilled rider on technical trails has no problem with the stock set up.

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 9:51 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Andrewleeinhouse wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

You are growing more pompous and arrogant by the second!

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 10:00 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Andrewleeinhouse wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

[Quote="newbermuda"]
Andrewleeinhouse wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
for me it ain’t about “no problem”. It’s about having fun and being comfortable and confident, kinda like the step after “no problem”. And the beefier, suspension, tires, brakes etc. Is what was needed for me personally to get to that step.

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 10:51 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
Andrewleeinhouse wrote:

Lmao. People rode way gnarlier trails 15 years ago on what would now be walmart bikes. Seems like you're projecting on me a bit.

If you're happy with a 30lb spur then kudos to you but adding 5 lbs of weight to an already capable trail bike just sounds silly imo

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 11:08 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

Lmao. People rode way gnarlier trails 15 years ago on what would now be walmart bikes. Seems like you're projecting on me a bit.

If you're happy with a 30lb spur then kudos to you but adding 5 lbs of weight to an already capable trail bike just sounds silly imo

Well you are certainly welcome to you opinion. But when you come back around to someone and tell them about what some skilled rider can do with the stock setup, and which none of us would argue I'll add, I think most people will interpret that as you conflating they are not skilled because the put more robust trail bike parts on a trail bike. That's how you post reads - pompous.

"A skilled rider on technical trails has no problem with the stock set up."

Not sure how else you expect other interpret that, other than a thinly veiled insult.

Also not sure what the whole what people were doing 15 years ago on Walmart bikes has to do with anything. Personally 15 years ago I was riding a Santa Cruz Nomad with a Totem and a Cane Creek Double Barrel. And I was tearing apart and servicing suspension and building wheels for a living. And you were...11 years old? You sure your memory is accurate on what people were doing 15 years ago?

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 11:36 Quote
Stop flexing and opining on what other people need on their local trail systems. I ran my SID fork and shock for a year on my local double blacks and the bushing rattle got so bad it became unrideable. It was in warranty service for four months. That fork cannot take handle repeated abuse on double blacks and I wouldn't waste my time with it again. I don't know where you live but I can tell you that the Yeti Factory Enduro team trains here in the winter.

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 11:41 Quote
fentoncrackshell wrote:
Stop flexing and opining on what other people need on their local trail systems. I ran my SID fork and shock for a year on my local double blacks and the bushing rattle got so bad it became unrideable. It was in warranty service for four months. That fork cannot take handle repeated abuse on double blacks and I wouldn't waste my time with it again. I don't know where you live but I can tell you that the Yeti Factory Enduro team trains here in the winter.

Not to mention how flexy the SID can be in twisty techy chunk!

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 11:48 Quote
fentoncrackshell wrote:
same situation for me, I rode the sid fork for 6 months before it had bad bushing play. Instead of waiting who knows how long for a warranty I emailed transition and they recommended replacing it with a pike.

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 12:00 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:

Well you are certainly welcome to you opinion. But when you come back around to someone and tell them about what some skilled rider can do with the stock setup, and which none of us would argue I'll add, I think most people will interpret that as you conflating they are not skilled because the put more robust trail bike parts on a trail bike. That's how you post reads - pompous.

"A skilled rider on technical trails has no problem with the stock set up."

Not sure how else you expect other interpret that, other than a thinly veiled insult.

Also not sure what the whole what people were doing 15 years ago on Walmart bikes has to do with anything. Personally 15 years ago I was riding a Santa Cruz Nomad with a Totem and a Cane Creek Double Barrel. And I was tearing apart and servicing suspension and building wheels for a living. And you were...11 years old? You sure your memory is accurate on what people were doing 15 years ago?

You are welcome to believe thats "insulting" but I am not attempting to insult anyone or their riding skills; i'm just trying to understand why you opt to add so much weight to a spur, when you could build something else that is more capable at around the same weight. Putting more robust parts on a trail bike does not equate to being a bad rider at all, but it does mean more weight on a lightweight bike. I think you are reading too far into my comments about WEIGHT. I do like how I'm attempting to have a conversation about weight on a xc/trail bike and you're just continuing to insult me lmao.

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 12:01 Quote
fentoncrackshell wrote:

The SID issue is just that; an issue with the SID being a shitty fork. When i had a spur, it was pretty fun in pacifica but thankfully i got rid of the bike before the SID shit itself. That being said, I know pros use the 34SC on the spur at 120 without issues. Nice flex on me, name-dropping the yeti development team (not the factory team)? Like i said, ive ridden pacifica quite a bit and its ok, pretty gnarly for legal trails.

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 13:02 Quote
Having had my Spur at 31 lbs, it’s been a very noticeable difference now having it at 29.5 lbs, and when I’m ready I’ll try to knock some more weight off of it. 15 years ago I had a Specialized Big Hit, then a Trek Fuel EX with 26 inch wheels and a 3x8 drivetrain, then I got heavily into dirt jumpers.

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 13:25 Quote
austenselk wrote:
Having had my Spur at 31 lbs, it’s been a very noticeable difference now having it at 29.5 lbs, and when I’m ready I’ll try to knock some more weight off of it. 15 years ago I had a Specialized Big Hit, then a Trek Fuel EX with 26 inch wheels and a 3x8 drivetrain, then I got heavily into dirt jumpers.

You have shaved weight at the rim and tires, which is arguably where you would notice it the most. Weight at the extremity of your wheels is probably the biggest back for the buck for weight savings.

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 13:41 Quote
Have you folks been able to get away with the stock tires? That's the main thing I changed (to heavier casings) because I flatted the rear on my first ride on a fairly flowy trail.

Also had to warranty the SID for bushing play. The new one has also developed it too, though not nearly as bad. I've noticed it flexes/wobbles a lot under braking as well. I've still ridden hard on black tech trails with it, but I do wonder if a Pike or 34 would be a big improvement.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009509
Mobile Version of Website