Transition Spur

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spur
O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 10:39 Quote
I'm sure you could fashion some method of blocking the opening. I personally wouldn't use tape, just for aesthetics and I wouldn't want to impede the rotation at that pivot point. You could probably fashion a plug of some sort to jam up the hollow end of the seatstay just inside of the opening behind the rocker link. This could keep grit from entering the rear triangle, but wouldn't do anything to shield the bearings. The only way to shield the bearings better would be to make different bearing shields, but that is well beyond the level of effort I'd be willing to put in (although it would be nice to prolong bearing life and minimize the frequency of removing/pressing bearings from/into the carbon link).

edit: I thought about it a little more. Perhaps finding just the right size washer to "unstep" the shield could work without making entirely new shields. The washer would need its inner diameter equal to the outer diameter of the step, and its outer diameter equal to the rest of the shield, with height equal to the height of the step. I may pursue this...

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 13:11 Quote
crj5 wrote:
I'm sure you could fashion some method of blocking the opening. I personally wouldn't use tape, just for aesthetics and I wouldn't want to impede the rotation at that pivot point. You could probably fashion a plug of some sort to jam up the hollow end of the seatstay just inside of the opening behind the rocker link. This could keep grit from entering the rear triangle, but wouldn't do anything to shield the bearings. The only way to shield the bearings better would be to make different bearing shields, but that is well beyond the level of effort I'd be willing to put in (although it would be nice to prolong bearing life and minimize the frequency of removing/pressing bearings from/into the carbon link).

edit: I thought about it a little more. Perhaps finding just the right size washer to "unstep" the shield could work without making entirely new shields. The washer would need its inner diameter equal to the outer diameter of the step, and its outer diameter equal to the rest of the shield, with height equal to the height of the step. I may pursue this...

I imagine i could fashion a "plug" from some moto foam to jam in there and keep things clean.

FL
Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 21:52 Quote
@crj5 Just like I thought...bummer.
I'll probably try to plug the hole with Sugru. I have not taken the rear end apart though, so no idea how the opening looks.
Moto foam would not keep water from entering, would it?

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 7:42 Quote
I picked my Spur up yesterday and went on a ride straight forward. Gotta get used to the potential of this machine! Did anyone change tires to a Rekon Race? What are your thoughts on such a switch?
photo

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 8:20 Quote
marcocellere wrote:
I picked my Spur up yesterday and went on a ride straight forward. Gotta get used to the potential of this machine! Did anyone change tires to a Rekon Race? What are your thoughts on such a switch?
photo

I ran the rekon front and a rekon race in the rear, its very fast and i didnt feel a noticeable lack of grip in the front compared to the dissector

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 8:51 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
marcocellere wrote:
photo

I ran the rekon front and a rekon race in the rear, its very fast and i didnt feel a noticeable lack of grip in the front compared to the dissector

Sounds like an interesting combo. Have you tried a Rekon Race front and rear?

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 18:19 Quote
I run a rekon front, rekon race rear for an xc/marathon setup on my spur. It’s a good combo, for that purpose. Or for long rides on easy trails.
But if you are just out having fun on your bike on trails, get something grippier on there to let the bike rip. Like minion front, dissector/aggressor rear.

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 18:47 Quote
marcocellere wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
marcocellere wrote:
photo

Not yet but idk if id want to. rekon race definitely has less grip in the rear than the rekon so i imagine itd be the same in the front, make for a slidey affair.
i have a big all mountain bike so i dont see a point in putting anything heavier than a dissector on the front, the rekon holds up on plenty of rowdy stuff

Posted: Apr 4, 2021 at 19:12 Quote
I ride mine with dhf up front and the dissector on the rear , its an awesome rear tyre , but my spur is my all conditions all mtn bike

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2021 at 22:39 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
marcocellere wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

Not yet but idk if id want to. rekon race definitely has less grip in the rear than the rekon so i imagine itd be the same in the front, make for a slidey affair.
i have a big all mountain bike so i dont see a point in putting anything heavier than a dissector on the front, the rekon holds up on plenty of rowdy stuff

Sounds very good. Will try this one out

FL
Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 14:20 Quote
The SID is dead, long live the Pike.

Views: 917    Faves: 0    Comments: 5

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 19:43 Quote
I’ll be picking mine up on Friday.
After reading all these threads and watching all those review Vids on YT, I’m extra STOKED.
I bought mine from a person that JUST bought it but decided to sell.
He sent me a picture of the receipt and hasn’t registered it on the Transition site.
Just curious, what would be the best way to qualify for the warranty? If I submit the receipt that has another name on it, can I still use my name and still be able to have the warranty?
Also, how do I submit pictures here?

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 19:44 Quote
Jayroid wrote:
I’ll be picking mine up on Friday.
After reading all these threads and watching all those review Vids on YT, I’m extra STOKED.
I bought mine from a person that JUST bought it but decided to sell.
He sent me a picture of the receipt and hasn’t registered it on the Transition site.
Just curious, what would be the best way to qualify for the warranty? If I submit the receipt that has another name on it, can I still use my name and still be able to have the warranty?
Also, how do I submit pictures here?

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 6:58 Quote
Officially, the warranty only covers the original purchaser. There may be some way to sneak around that in the registering process, but I wouldn’t rely on that or attempt it. Transition is one of few companies that officially offers crash replacement to the second owner, which speaks volumes to their customer support and helps retain their secondhand value. I’d chalk it up to assuming you’ll be offered crash replacement for any issues that would otherwise be covered under warranty for a first owner, which is a huge win for a second owner in my book.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
Yes, that’s a good idea

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.025928
Mobile Version of Website