Transition Spur

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spur
Posted: May 10, 2021 at 11:52 Quote
Anyone else unable to get (near) full travel out of their SID fork?

I'm running ~20 psi lower than the app recommends and getting just barely over 20% sag. Fork feels pretty good like this, until things get rough. I can't get into the last third or so of travel, even in the hardest hits. Fork will fully compress without air though.

It's known that some of these have/can develop a bushing issue and rumor mill elsewhere is that behaved like mine are accessing full travel after being sent back for the bushing replacement.

Anyone here have any input?

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 12:13 Quote
dharriszion wrote:

I'm running ~20 psi lower than the app recommends and getting just barely over 20% sag. Fork feels pretty good like this, until things get rough. I can't get into the last third or so of travel, even in the hardest hits. Fork will fully compress without air though.

It's known that some of these have/can develop a bushing issue and rumor mill elsewhere is that behaved like mine are accessing full travel after being sent back for the bushing replacement.

Do you have volume reducers in there? Have you bled the lowers to make sure there is not air captured inside them?

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 12:17 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
dharriszion wrote:

Do you have volume reducers in there? Have you bled the lowers to make sure there is not air captured inside them?

Per the S/N in the RockShox app there's no spacers. I honestly hadn't thought about the lowers and now that you say it I had the same problem on a 36 a few years ago. How hard is it to bleed them on the SID?

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 12:25 Quote
dharriszion wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:
dharriszion wrote:

Per the S/N in the RockShox app there's no spacers. I honestly hadn't thought about the lowers and now that you say it I had the same problem on a 36 a few years ago. How hard is it to bleed them on the SID?

Wipe your seal clean, pry the lip back and slide a small ziptie down to break the seal.

On the App - I don't trust anything/anyone and would want to look for myself.

I have the ultimate version, and zero issues getting into my travel with just a few psi off recommended. Have bottomed numerous times, albeit not harshly.

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 12:52 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
dharriszion wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:

Wipe your seal clean, pry the lip back and slide a small ziptie down to break the seal.

I have the ultimate version, and zero issues getting into my travel with just a few psi off recommended. Have bottomed numerous times, albeit not harshly.

Ahh, yeah, I'll try that ASAP. Remembering now when I finally got the shop to open up the 36 lowers and how much air came out, 36 was brand new too.

Definitely not taking the app as gospel, but the correlation between how far I'm getting from recommended with no measured improvement...

Thanks again!

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 13:07 Quote
dharriszion wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:
dharriszion wrote:

Ahh, yeah, I'll try that ASAP. Remembering now when I finally got the shop to open up the 36 lowers and how much air came out, 36 was brand new too.

Definitely not taking the app as gospel, but the correlation between how far I'm getting from recommended with no measured improvement...

Thanks again!

Certainly symptoms of too many spacers! Which would be simple to fix Smile

Hopefully a bleed of the lowers does the trick though.

Cheers

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 16:29 Quote
Can’t seem to get past the second seal with as much force as I dare apply.

FL
Posted: May 10, 2021 at 20:32 Quote
First seals should be enough to release pressure.

RS replaced the lower assembly on may SID and supposedly the issue with bushing play is now solved, as they changed something on the new lowers. Not sure what exactly or whether that worked, though.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 9:46 Quote
dharriszion wrote:

Funny you posted this b/c i was riding the spur yesterday and was thinking the same thing.. with my weight the app recommends 102PSI but i went down to 90 to see how that looks... I was thinking it had to many tokens, similar to how they ship the lyric which i could not get full travel untill i took out the spacers. Im going to do some more modifications but its cool to see im not the only one lol

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 10:06 Quote
Branny21 wrote:
dharriszion wrote:

Funny you posted this b/c i was riding the spur yesterday and was thinking the same thing.. with my weight the app recommends 102PSI but i went down to 90 to see how that looks... I was thinking it had to many tokens, similar to how they ship the lyric which i could not get full travel untill i took out the spacers. Im going to do some more modifications but its cool to see im not the only one lol

There's quite a few over on MTBR experiencing it as well as a couple saying after the bushing replacement it's better. My suspicion is that it has nothing to do with the bushings, but just the disassembly of the fork releasing the pressure.

Per the S/N in the app there's no tokens and per a conversation with Transition there shouldn't be any either. I couldn't get anything to burp out of the seals yesterday, but I think I'm going to have the shop crack the lowers just to convince me.

It's funny how I had completely forgotten about the 36 and now I'm in exact deja vu, right down to convincing the shop I'm not crazy. I was so vindicated when the air release from the lowers scared the piss out of the wrenches.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 8:54 Quote
i see, im probably just going to take the legs off, clean, reoil and put it back together and hope it works better now lol. after lowing the air pressure i see no difference.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
Branny21 wrote:
i see, im probably just going to take the legs off, clean, reoil and put it back together and hope it works better now lol. after lowing the air pressure i see no difference.

I attempted to burp the lowers with a zip tie, but noticed no obvious pressure release just going through the dust seal and couldn't get past the second seal. I subsequently completely deflated the fork, pulled it up to full, let it go and then pressured it to ~max and cycled it then lowered pressure to what I had previously been running and barely getting 25% sag......nearly 35% sag. Pressuring up to recommended puts me just under 25% sag and the fork felt great, where at this pressure before it felt awful. The trail I tested on didn't have too much chop though, that testing this weekend.

Some combination of what I did seems to have helped.

O+
Posted: May 12, 2021 at 11:27 Quote
dharriszion wrote:
I subsequently completely deflated the fork, pulled it up to full, let it go and then pressured it to ~max and cycled it then lowered pressure to what I had previously been running and barely getting 25% sag......nearly 35% sag. Pressuring up to recommended puts me just under 25% sag and the fork felt great, where at this pressure before it felt awful.

I did something similar to this, and the next time I rode the bike, I thought the bike was broken because it was no where as harsh and stiff as it used to be. Definitely an improvement.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 11:46 Quote
bloodytesla wrote:
dharriszion wrote:
I subsequently completely deflated the fork, pulled it up to full, let it go and then pressured it to ~max and cycled it then lowered pressure to what I had previously been running and barely getting 25% sag......nearly 35% sag. Pressuring up to recommended puts me just under 25% sag and the fork felt great, where at this pressure before it felt awful.

I did something similar to this, and the next time I rode the bike, I thought the bike was broken because it was no where as harsh and stiff as it used to be. Definitely an improvement.

Seriously, I was already impressed with the bike. I'm giddy now.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2021 at 16:26 Quote
I needed a new chain on my Large size Spur. I remember before with the old chain, on the smallest gear and no weight on the bike, the chain was relatively loose and the derailleur wasn't putting much tension on the chain (if any) -- but I dont remember exactly how "bad" it was before.

However, with this new chain, after sizing it according to SRAM's specifications (full sag, and the correct chain overlap, etc), I'm getting some chain skipping on the smallest gear. Can someone tell me how loose their Large Size Spur chain is on the smallest gear and no sag? Or even better yet, does someone, off the top of their head, know how many links the Spur comes with from Transition?

Obviously, if I still had the old chain, I'd compare the size. However, that wasn't an option.

Thanks!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025696
Mobile Version of Website