Transition Spur

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spur
Posted: May 26, 2021 at 22:02 Quote
Sounds like the teeth on the smallest cog might be worn down too much.

Posted: May 26, 2021 at 22:39 Quote
Whoelse is freaking happy with their purchase on a Spur? It is soo much fun ey! Adding the shipping situation and the rise of prices results in one of the best deals I have made in recent years

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 16:29 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
I'll join this party! Mine just showed up last week.

What wrap did you go with? I’ve heard invisiframe has a better matte finish but ridewrap covers more. On the fence about which to go with.

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 16:49 Quote
Travis1010 wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:
I'll join this party! Mine just showed up last week.

What wrap did you go with? I’ve heard invisiframe has a better matte finish but ridewrap covers more. On the fence about which to go with.

Ridewrap for me.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 21:37 Quote
Any thrashers out there riding a spur? I'm rowdy downhill but want something more efficient uphill. Concerned ill blow through the 120mm.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 22:11 Quote
youngandthriving wrote:
Any thrashers out there riding a spur? I'm rowdy downhill but want something more efficient uphill. Concerned ill blow through the 120mm.

You won't blow through the 120mm if you set it up properly and use the bike for what it's designed for. That's a weird statement to make.

I grew up riding DH. I don't want to say I'm a 'thrasher' because that sounds pretty cheese-dicky but I ride aggressively. I set my spur up pretty stiff with the priority on taking the edge off bigger hits and staying composed in corners and whatever.. it's a 120mm bike, you can't set it up to have gobs of sag and feel "super plush" like a large travel DH bike and expect not to blow through your travel. Be smart about your setup and it will be a fantastic bike for aggressive trail riding.

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 7:17 Quote
you can send it on the spur. set it up at 20-25% sag and it'll handle some big hits. frame is plenty stiff so it doesn't get deflected at all in chunky terrain, but 120mm is still only 120mm. that being said, the spur isn't the most efficient bike uphill (that I've ridden at least) and there are other options with more suspension/aggressive angles that are more efficient, just not as lightweight.

Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 11:30 Quote
https://www.instagram.com/p/CPIuGRsBbfp/

check out matt riding the spur , also reckons it was the tools for very fast A line laps at WBP opening day

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 19:47 Quote
For anyone riding a deore spur, what are the weakest points you’ve found? I just picked one up for my wife and she’s not an aggressive rider at all, mainly some xc/backcountry with a few downhill days in between.

I’m not worried about brakes as I ran them on my throttle and were ok. I’ve heard great reviews on the deore drivetrain but didn’t know if you guys had any first hand experiences? Looks like wheelset is pretty low end however I plan on building up a light set eventually but have a week long Colorado trip planned next month and wandering if they will be fine or if there have been any issues with the cheap shins no hubs.

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 18:33 Quote
Hey all,

Currently have a headache trying to decide between a small and medium transition spur.

Info:

I'm between 5'6" and 5'7,". I'm currently on an old Giant Trance from 2018.

Specs for current bike:
Seat tube 431
Top tube 610
Wheelbase 1160
Stack 591
Reach 435

Small spur:
Seat tube 380
Top tube 569 (quite a bit shorter than the trance)
Wheelbase 1156 (almost identical to trance)
Stack 600 (similar to trance)
Reach 425 (close enough)

Medium spur:
Seat tube 410
Top tube 602 (close to trance)
Wheelbase (1190)
Stack 610
Reach 455

Getting ahold of a spur to demo is impossible for me.

My thoughts: the trance feels like a dump truck to me, but that's probably a lot to do with weighing 35 lbs., and I'm running a 160mm dvo diamond up front.

I have to really jump off the back to manual the thing. It feels unwieldy on tighter switchbacks to me. But it's a 2018 giant trance, so some of that is just it being kinda dated and not the most modern or evolved bike in the first place.

I'm running a 35 mm stem and have my saddle slid up quite a bit as the trance's cockpit felt pretty big at first.

Why I'm going with a spur: I always climb, my local area is rarely enduroish and I have no need of ton of travel. The spur info I've read all says it climbs pretty well and outriders it's 120mm downhill.
I'm ex moto and 4 years into mtb riding. I've been getting into bigger jumps and do intend to ride a lot of flow and jump trails. Going to keep the trance for chunky trips unless the spur feels like a one bike quiver.

I feel like the small would fit well, but such a short top tube worries me. I'm not the most knowledgeable on geo, though, and the similar reach numbers for the small and my trance make me feel like it'd be fine. But every bike tech guy I know says "never size down."

Transition's official size guide has me exactly between small and medium.

Just looking for advice or ideally another short person with a small/medium spur to weigh in on their experiences!

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 23:28 Quote
Hi , I’m 5’6” and ride a medium with seat forward of center and 35 mm stem and 30mm rise bars
It’s a perfect fit for me and wouldn’t want to go smaller

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 23:48 Quote
mrliver wrote:
Hey all,

Currently have a headache trying to decide between a small and medium transition spur.

Info:

I'm between 5'6" and 5'7,". I'm currently on an old Giant Trance from 2018.

Specs for current bike:
Seat tube 431
Top tube 610
Wheelbase 1160
Stack 591
Reach 435

Small spur:
Seat tube 380
Top tube 569 (quite a bit shorter than the trance)
Wheelbase 1156 (almost identical to trance)
Stack 600 (similar to trance)
Reach 425 (close enough)

Medium spur:
Seat tube 410
Top tube 602 (close to trance)
Wheelbase (1190)
Stack 610
Reach 455

Getting ahold of a spur to demo is impossible for me.

My thoughts: the trance feels like a dump truck to me, but that's probably a lot to do with weighing 35 lbs., and I'm running a 160mm dvo diamond up front.

I have to really jump off the back to manual the thing. It feels unwieldy on tighter switchbacks to me. But it's a 2018 giant trance, so some of that is just it being kinda dated and not the most modern or evolved bike in the first place.

I'm running a 35 mm stem and have my saddle slid up quite a bit as the trance's cockpit felt pretty big at first.

Why I'm going with a spur: I always climb, my local area is rarely enduroish and I have no need of ton of travel. The spur info I've read all says it climbs pretty well and outriders it's 120mm downhill.
I'm ex moto and 4 years into mtb riding. I've been getting into bigger jumps and do intend to ride a lot of flow and jump trails. Going to keep the trance for chunky trips unless the spur feels like a one bike quiver.

I feel like the small would fit well, but such a short top tube worries me. I'm not the most knowledgeable on geo, though, and the similar reach numbers for the small and my trance make me feel like it'd be fine. But every bike tech guy I know says "never size down."

Transition's official size guide has me exactly between small and medium.

Just looking for advice or ideally another short person with a small/medium spur to weigh in on their experiences!

I'm 5'6" and also debated between small and medium. I ended up going with a medium after giving Transition a call, and I'm very glad I did. Given how hard and fast this bike can be ridden, the extra wheelbase and reach feel great at speed and on the steeper stuff. I'm also running a 40mm stem, but primarily to get my hands a bit further behind the front wheel.

My two bikes prior to the Spur were a 2017 Enduro (430mm reach) and 2019 Stumpy (425mm reach), both with 50mm stems. They always felt just slightly cramped. I was worried at first that this might feel a bit stretched, but the standing reach and seated TT length with the saddle slammed forward both feel spot on.

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 8:58 Quote
Thanks to both of you. I'm gonna go medium and slam the seat/use stem length to play with reach. Much appreciated!

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 10:57 Quote
mrliver wrote:
Thanks to both of you. I'm gonna go medium and slam the seat/use stem length to play with reach. Much appreciated!

good plan . you won't be disappointed , such a fun bike

Posted: Jul 20, 2021 at 22:02 Quote
I picked up my Spur in late December 2020. Definitely loving this bike. Previously I had a Yeti SB5.5 which was also good, but I'm consistently surprised how I'm able to ride all the same trails on this bike with only 120mm of travel.

On a side note: how do I post a picture in my reply?

Dan

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011190
Mobile Version of Website