Is My 1 Month old Fox 38 already blown?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Is My 1 Month old Fox 38 already blown?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 19:11 Quote

See Image. I have had my Trek Remedy 9.8 with the Fox 38 for about a month now.

I noticed some oil leaking after my first hard ride on downhill stuff about 1.5 wks ago and took it to my local bike shop (that built it up for me) to see if the seal was blown. They sent it back 3 days later saying oil leakage is normal and its fine. I took this image on sunday after riding and it has been leaking this amount of oil both times ive ridden this week. The first part of the stroke feels really dead too and is compressing fairly easily.

Is it blown? I'm sure its a warranty if it is because it's literally a month old. I just want to be confident in my diagnosis after last time.

Side note: This shop builds up mostly CC bikes and they didn't seem to know much about the 38...

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 23:24 Quote
I wouldn't say that is normal, only ever had that happen on forks I've used for years and never serviced. Seems maybe a seal has gone, some grease can be expected but not really as much oil as that.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 23:34 Quote
Processtuna wrote:

I noticed some oil leaking after my first hard ride on downhill stuff about 1.5 wks ago and took it to my local bike shop (that built it up for me) to see if the seal was blown. They sent it back 3 days later saying oil leakage is normal and its fine. I took this image on sunday after riding and it has been leaking this amount of oil both times ive ridden this week. The first part of the stroke feels really dead too and is compressing fairly easily.

Is it blown? I'm sure its a warranty if it is because it's literally a month old. I just want to be confident in my diagnosis after last time.

Side note: This shop builds up mostly CC bikes and they didn't seem to know much about the 38...

Well the left leg is air spring, so it only has 20cc's of lower leg bath oil. Seems to me that the dust wiper is damaged somehow and it's letting to much bath oil past. If it's not happening in the right let then you damper it's fine.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 0:16 Quote
Processtuna wrote:

If the seal is letting that much oil out, then it lets dirt and water in. The purpose of a seal is to SEAL THINGS WITHOUT LEAKING. Also did you try pressing the “air release valves”? Maybe you had too much grease in the negative air chamber?

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 0:20 Quote
2020 and quality Frown . Ive had 3 different forks leaking on my last 3 builds. Rs, fox and CC! Trying to get a ride in. Had to throw on my trusty outdated 2018 36F push coil fork!

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 6:29 Quote
My Fox 34 has been leaking like that all summer lol.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 8:06 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
Processtuna wrote:

If the seal is letting that much oil out, then it lets dirt and water in. The purpose of a seal is to SEAL THINGS WITHOUT LEAKING. Also did you try pressing the “air release valves”? Maybe you had too much grease in the negative air chamber?

This the the performance 38 which unfortunately doesn't come stock with the air bleeders. I am looking into adding them to the fork.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 9:00 Quote
If it has a warranty, maybe worth asking. Otherwise it looks like a simple blown seal. Drop the lowers, replace seal, new oil in lowers and back in business.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 18:07 Quote
700-pirate wrote:
2020 and quality Frown . Ive had 3 different forks leaking on my last 3 builds. Rs, fox and CC! Trying to get a ride in. Had to throw on my trusty outdated 2018 36F push coil fork!

You’re not talking about the Helm, are you? Not the MkII, but the original?

Yikes... I have one arriving on Wednesday to replace my shipped-stock RS 35 Gold...

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008341
Mobile Version of Website