Is my bike any good for jumping?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Is my bike any good for jumping?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 14:06 Quote
Hello all,

I'm new to the whole mtb scene, used to be a trials rider but recently gone for something a bit different.

Ive got a Marin East Peak it's a 2006 version had it for 10 years now, with full fox suspension (fox talas rl on the front and fox float rp3 rear), also has full shimano hydro discs, (180 all round) and 720mm 25 rise bars.

I use the bike to commute to work, around 3-4 miles a day but down the bottom of my road are a few subtle dirt jumps in the woods about 6ft tall tabletops, would my bike withstand these or would it be best to buy another bike for jumping and keep this to commute with?

Thanks everyone!

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 6:57 Quote
deanprior10 wrote:
Hello all,

I'm new to the whole mtb scene, used to be a trials rider but recently gone for something a bit different.

Ive got a Marin East Peak it's a 2006 version had it for 10 years now, with full fox suspension (fox talas rl on the front and fox float rp3 rear), also has full shimano hydro discs, (180 all round) and 720mm 25 rise bars.

I use the bike to commute to work, around 3-4 miles a day but down the bottom of my road are a few subtle dirt jumps in the woods about 6ft tall tabletops, would my bike withstand these or would it be best to buy another bike for jumping and keep this to commute with?

Thanks everyone!

In theory you should be able to jump it but then I looked up a picture of the bike and in my opinion, you could jump it but it would be really challenging, and judging by how the frame looks, it looks pretty heavy. I have an 06 Specialized SX Trail, but that's an enduro bike however I can jump it fine. Depending on how much you are willing to spend, I would recommend a Commencal Meta Ht Am. Very solid all-round bike. You can jump and even commute with it. But that is a 1300 dollar investment. Also depending on how well the bike has been maintained, could effect jumping. If your fork oil is low, the dampers and rebound control won't work (that's how it is with my old 2006 Fox VanR 36's, I'm still saving up for a rebuild) but happy riding!

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 7:07 Quote
deanprior10 wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks everyone!

Give it a go and see how it feels, It probably won't break Wink

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 18:07 Quote
T4THH wrote:
deanprior10 wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks everyone!

Give it a go and see how it feels, It MAYBE won't break Wink

FTFY

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008704
Mobile Version of Website