2021 Commencal Meta AM HT after 1 week chain stay damage: bad design?

PB Forum :: Commencal
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 26, 2020 at 10:49 Quote

After 1day at Hope Bike Park by my 12 year old, I notice significant damage on chain stay just between the guard and front chainring. I was watching and there were no wipeouts or technical problems (ex. chain falling off...) and notice damage when I loaded bike to go home. I contacted Commencal with pictures but got no help (didn't read complaint and told me my son must of wiped out). My son was heart broken and since then has been hating his bike thinking I is going to break, I am not please myself. I am looking for a new bike but now would not consider a Commencal, thinking that it is badly designed. Has anyone have similar issues?

Posted: Sep 26, 2020 at 20:12 Quote
jmpenman5 wrote:

After 1day at Hope Bike Park by my 12 year old, I notice significant damage on chain stay just between the guard and front chainring. I was watching and there were no wipeouts or technical problems (ex. chain falling off...) and notice damage when I loaded bike to go home. I contacted Commencal with pictures but got no help (didn't read complaint and told me my son must of wiped out). My son was heart broken and since then has been hating his bike thinking I is going to break, I am not please myself. I am looking for a new bike but now would not consider a Commencal, thinking that it is badly designed. Has anyone have similar issues?

Interested to see pics of the damage.

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 13:29 Quote
Based on the photo on your profile, I wouldn't necessarily think that damage is something that would have occurred without dropping a chain or getting some debris stuck in the chain ring. It doesn't look like the damage is anything more than surface deep (e.g. paint), but maybe a better picture would indicate otherwise. Hope that your son can get back on the bike and feel confident it won't break on him!

Also don't believe that Commencal or others have too many design options for LCS. Commencal's seem similar to many others I've seen with that low pivot.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 15:47 Quote
I have a commencal also, (you can see it on my profile page). I have not had the issue, and I do take my bike of black trails and have crashed. The looks to be from pics, that can be the chain. Either debris in the chain ring or outside damage. this shouldnt effect the frame, just put some paint on it and over it will 3m tape. I wouldnt fret over it as bikes will always get damaged. This is not a major issue unless that are cracks in the frame.

Assure your son that it should be fine. I know it is tough getting a new bike damaged but this is only cosmetic.

Best of luck

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008411
Mobile Version of Website