6’5 trail bike options?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
6’5 trail bike options?
| Next Page
Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 20:14 Quote
A subtle detail that's easy to overlook: if two bikes have similar fit dimensions, but one has a slacker head-tube angle, the slacker bike will allow a longer stem without pulling your weight too far forward, affording an extra centimeter or so of butt-to-bar distance.

That's on top of the already longer stem that a tall rider should be using. We're not talking about road bike stems, just scaling up the bike's dimensions as the rider's dimensions are scaled up. Tall riders typically have longer limbs, relative to their torsos, so their weight distribution would move rearward if they use the same stem length as a shorter rider.

Weight distribution isn't the only factor, of course: there are also considerations of the centering force caused by stem length and the arc of the grips when steering. Without going down a rabbit hole, I'll just say tall riders should scale up everything and a slack head-tube angle allows a little extra stem length.

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 14:00 Quote
Very helpful RMR, thanks again. Considering that I really like my existing bike and am comfortable on it, then seeing that all the new bikes are slightly larger (even some in XL), I have a good starting point for what to look for.

Now, to decide how much travel I really need...

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009602
Mobile Version of Website