Spindrift 2021

PB Forum :: Propain Bikes
Spindrift 2021
Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 1:09 Quote
Josiffk wrote:
Caseditagain wrote:
Sorry for a very specific nerdy question: Anyone know whether the bikes come with tubeless rimtape pre-installed? I've ordered the base spec Stans/propain wheels. Stans website only lists those rims on prebuilt wheels and say tape is installed - and there's no rimtape in the tubeless kit. Just wondering.

I may be wrong but I would say the wheels will come with it installed.
Bear in mind I ordered my bike in December with stans base spec wheels. When It arrived it had the newman rims so they mustn't of had the stans in stock, I replaced a tube last night in my front wheel and it has tape installed already.

Thanks for that, really helpful. I'd be happy if they wanted to give me the Newmen wheels too, y'know, just to help them out Wink

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 3:16 Quote
Stans flow mk3 rims had also tapes already installed even I ordered mine with tubes (not tubeless). So all I needed to do was install the tubeless valves and some sealant. Both I had plenty at home and that is why I ordered my wheels with tubes and without extra fee for tubeless setup.

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 5:45 Quote
JAK79 wrote:
Stans flow mk3 rims had also tapes already installed even I ordered mine with tubes (not tubeless). So all I needed to do was install the tubeless valves and some sealant. Both I had plenty at home and that is why I ordered my wheels with tubes and without extra fee for tubeless setup.

Thanks! - thats exactly what I was planning to do!

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 5:07 Quote
Sweet06 wrote:
Grumposaur wrote:
terribleone1982 wrote:

Something like these...not sure if J Tech ship overseas.

https://j-techsuspension.co.uk/collections/mount-kits-and-bushings/products/j-tech-hd-m-kit-1-2

Check on Propain's site for the mount sizes...I think you'd need one at 8 x 30mm and one at 8 x 35mm if they're the same as the Tyee.
Nope not the same: Spindrift Top: 8 x 20 mm / Bottom: 8 x 30 mm

PS: link to the exploded views:
https://www.propain-bikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Spindrift_AL_MY21_ExplodedView_V3.pdf
https://www.propain-bikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Spindrift-CF-MY2021-ExplodedView-v5.pdf

other options:
https://huber-bushings.com/
https://www.offsetbushings.com/collections/all/products/standard-bushing

or even needle bearings: https://www.endurobearings.com/products/suspension/
https://www.endurobearings.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/12/needlebearingcat.pdf
But i have the feeling these are discontinued or something as they are very hard to find. And for the 20mm you will need to shim a 19mm with 2x 0,5mm shims.

Thank I will buy this,

In fact the noise come from bushing if you bolt hard or not

I am actually in discussion with Propain directly, they don.t understand the issue therefore I made this video.

By just torquing a few N.m the shock is totally locked, this is not normal.

FYI I ordered offset bushing, and mounted it on the bike, that seems much better in term of friction.

But after several measurement, the issue does not come from RS Bushing, but the main problem is due to the main pro 10 link, the 20mm wide are not straigt, the part is a little bit bended at bolt location, that is why there is an issue when the bolt is torqued.

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 10:57 Quote
FYI I ordered offset bushing, and mounted it on the bike, that seems much better in term of friction.

But after several measurement, the issue does not come from RS Bushing, but the main problem is due to the main pro 10 link, the 20mm wide are not straigt, the part is a little bit bended at bolt location, that is why there is an issue when the bolt is torqued.[/Quote]

Hmmmmmm, intereresting. I will do some investigation into this.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 12:51 Quote
Hi.
I have little problem with (i think) propain wheels and fox 38 in my spidrift.
I feel little play in front wheel. If i lose float axle and close main axle very hard (need to use both hand to open) then play is gone or barely noticed. is it correct? Anybody have same problem. Bearings in hub seems to be ok.

Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 3:28 Quote
rpa87 wrote:
Hi.
I have little problem with (i think) propain wheels and fox 38 in my spidrift.
I feel little play in front wheel. If i lose float axle and close main axle very hard (need to use both hand to open) then play is gone or barely noticed. is it correct? Anybody have same problem. Bearings in hub seems to be ok.

No shouldnt be any play, sounds like tou have not set pinch bolt correctly but cant be sure. You definately shouldnt be loosening pinch bolt and tightening axle like that as youll do damage to your fork inners. Id take to lbs to check over

Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 15:05 Quote
Hi everyone

I am going to pull the trigger in the next few weeks between a Tyee and Spindrift but I cannot decide!

I am 1.77m, 78KG. I live in Ireland where we have short and rough descending tracks with lots of flat-ish sections in-between. I ride mostly trail (70%) and 30% Park.

I am faster when things are steep and struggle with flat and tight trails.

I was basically going with the Tyee but it doesn't come with the option of a Zeb. To future-proof my bike, I would have preferred to have a 38 or Zeb on (although I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 36 or Lyrik)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 4:54 Quote
I think a Tyee is the better option for your stated usage, a Spindrift is too much bike for 99% of Irish tracks IMHO.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 1:04 Quote
hct89 wrote:
Hi everyone

I am going to pull the trigger in the next few weeks between a Tyee and Spindrift but I cannot decide!

I am 1.77m, 78KG. I live in Ireland where we have short and rough descending tracks with lots of flat-ish sections in-between. I ride mostly trail (70%) and 30% Park.

I was basically going with the Tyee but it doesn't come with the option of a Zeb. To future-proof my bike, I would have preferred to have a 38 or Zeb on (although I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 36 or Lyrik)

Thank you

Spindrift CF, built to take big hits. And it pedals rly rly well.. wont be the fastest up the hill but feels like u are. Seen alot of problems with the tyee cfs cracking on the chainstay on heavy landings..

depends on ur riding style rly

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 3:56 Quote
FionnS wrote:
I think a Tyee is the better option for your stated usage, a Spindrift is too much bike for 99% of Irish tracks IMHO.

This is what my common sense is telling me, but that Spindrift looks so good haha

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 3:59 Quote
Dini2k wrote:
hct89 wrote:
Hi everyone

Thank you

Spindrift CF, built to take big hits. And it pedals rly rly well.. wont be the fastest up the hill but feels like u are. Seen alot of problems with the tyee cfs cracking on the chainstay on heavy landings..

depends on ur riding style rly

Thanks. I'll be going aluminium anyway. Interesting to note about the CF cracking.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 4:42 Quote
Hi!
I´m planning to buy a Spindrift CF in Large but can´t decide between a few parts.
First, I´m going the spec the bike with a RS Ultimate coil, but with a rider weight of 75kg I´m right between two spring rates. Trails in my area are steep and rocky + lots of roots - I think 30% sag would be best.

Next, the handlebar: Noticable difference in feel between carbon and alloy? (or are those sixpack bars trash anyway?) Also not sure about the rise since I will have to climb a lot of steep sections. (I´m going with the 180mm Zeb)

Dropper insertion depth: After testing the Spindrift I came to the the conclusion that I could run a 210mm dropper post. Does anybody know whether I could fully insert such a dropper like the Oneup 210mm? (numbers on the webside seem to be wrong - a 185mm bikeyoke revive can be fully inserted)

I would also love to hear opinions about the Newmen EG 30 wheelset (since I want a bombproof bike)?

Help would really be appreciated!

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 10:01 Quote
You need 350 lb coil to get about 28 % sag. So get lighter one. With 400 spring sag is only about 26 %.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 9:44 Quote
Just with regard to availability and expected delivery times, I received notification today that my bike which was ordered in December and originally due for delivery in April will now start build in October.

I got notification that the frame was built up and ready for part picking at the start of July.

Best order now if you want a bike in time for summer 2022!

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007614
Mobile Version of Website