Spindrift 2021

PB Forum :: Propain Bikes
Spindrift 2021
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 11:54 Quote
hugh-dh wrote:
photo

My spindrift arrived last Wednesday. I've been crazy busy since then, and only had time to take it for a spin on some dirt roads up a mountain near my house. Overall I'm very impressed. The bike feels stable and composed. The rear suspension feels efficient and supportive while still feeling plush.

I still have to spend some time dialing in my setup and also getting used to the bigger bike with the 29s but so far I'm impressed.

Hi mate,

Just wondering can we get your thoughts on how you are getting on with the bike now you have had it awhile.
I was thinking of getting a similar build.

Have you tried the mullet set up yet?
How does it handle with the 290 forks?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 at 15:38 Quote
Hi guys,
I’m buyng a spindrift CF 29 in size L.

I’m really in trouble choosing the rear shock.
The bike will have a 190 Zeb at front and on the back i don’t know if choose a RS coil ultimate or the fox Float factory air shock.

I wanted to go for the air because is easier to set and is half kilo lighter but i read that a lot of people says that coil is better with this bike.
Anyone that have tried both or is using airshock can give me an advice?

Also i’m 182 cm tall do you think L is good? I’m between M and L and normally i would choose M size. But it seems reading sone post that L is not so big, and fit weel my height.

Thanks!

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 1:38 Quote
Matteolo wrote:
Hi guys,

The bike will have a 190 Zeb at front and on the back i don’t know if choose a RS coil ultimate or the fox Float factory air shock.

I wanted to go for the air because is easier to set and is half kilo lighter but i read that a lot of people says that coil is better with this bike.

Also i’m 182 cm tall do you think L is good? I’m between M and L and normally i would choose M size. But it seems reading sone post that L is not so big, and fit weel my height.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 1:54 Quote
Matteolo wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks!

Buddy, this bike is already so heavy, that half a kilo would be unnoticeable. Leverage curves make it a very good candidate for coil, so there really is no good reason not to get it.
Do not go for M. I'm 179, with L sized previous gen Spindrift. Current gen's reach is 1 cm longer, but due to the steeper SA, seated position is shorter. M would be way too cramped

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 2:14 Quote
Quick Video from 1 week at Les Portes du Soleil with my Spindrift CF 29

This bike is just a pure bike park machine. It is very fast trough big corner and very stable at high speed.

its best practice remain big hit and big jump, this is just a pure easy bike to jump and manage in the air.

This is not the best comfy when it is pretty rough, but still good.

FYI: I am 80kg fully equipped and mounted a 350lbs spring which is perfect for me to have 30% sag and have a well balance bike without a hard fork to prevent any front dive in the steep part.
I also mounted low friction bearing at bushing location, that help a lot the grip
photo

But I still have the strange noise when ridding the bike with a play feeling which is not appreciable.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 14:17 Quote
shoshy wrote:
Matteolo wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks!

Buddy, this bike is already so heavy, that half a kilo would be unnoticeable. Leverage curves make it a very good candidate for coil, so there really is no good reason not to get it.
Do not go for M. I'm 179, with L sized previous gen Spindrift. Current gen's reach is 1 cm longer, but due to the steeper SA, seated position is shorter. M would be way too cramped

I am 178cm tall and i bought a large, i shortend the stem by 15mm and it feels great. Sometimes when I loose balance on a trail I get my shorts stuck as I have short legs but thats it, the old M spindrift felt cramped for me so id say stay away from a medium.
I'm also having the rear shock issue like everybody else. I think this bike is pretty light but my old bike was twice as heavy.

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 5:05 Quote
Sweet06 wrote:
I also mounted low friction bearing at bushing location, that help a lot the grip
photo

But I still have the strange noise when ridding the bike with a play feeling which is not appreciable.

I`m also looking in to aftermarket bushings to replace the std Rockshox ones on my SD coil.

What made you go for Offsetbushings over other brands and is the differance noticeable?

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 23:30 Quote
twenty4chris wrote:
Sweet06 wrote:
photo

I`m also looking in to aftermarket bushings to replace the std Rockshox ones on my SD coil.

What made you go for Offsetbushings over other brands and is the differance noticeable?

Yes the difference is pretty noticeable and I choose them for buying simplicity. You just have to give them your bike and shock and they made the bushing on purpose.

Posted: Aug 15, 2021 at 12:48 Quote
Guys like previous posts im suffering from the same issues as some of you. But I think I've found out whats going on with my bike.

The bottom linkage looks like its touching the frame, just under where the size of the bike is printed, the paint is actually coming off with what looks like scrape marks, like its touching it, when sat on the bike it looks pretty close but it must be coming it to contact under load.
Bear in mind the bike hasn't even seen a jump yet so its not being abused.

Can the people who are experiencing issues have a look at theirs to see if the same thing is happening.?
I would post a photo but I have no idea how.

Is it possible a rock could of got jammed there when riding.? Its possible, but I think its very unlikely. It would explain the creaking and screeching noises I've been experiencing.

Have a quick look under the frame size and see if there's paint missing

Posted: Aug 16, 2021 at 0:38 Quote
Josiffk wrote:
Guys like previous posts im suffering from the same issues as some of you. But I think I've found out whats going on with my bike.

The bottom linkage looks like its touching the frame, just under where the size of the bike is printed, the paint is actually coming off with what looks like scrape marks, like its touching it, when sat on the bike it looks pretty close but it must be coming it to contact under load.

Can the people who are experiencing issues have a look at theirs to see if the same thing is happening.?

Is it possible a rock could of got jammed there when riding.? Its possible, but I think its very unlikely. It would explain the creaking and screeching noises I've been experiencing.

Take spring/air out of ur suspension and check full range of motion and you will see that it is impossible for frame to touch.

Its been discussed on the facebook group many times and seems to be stones getting trapped. Ive put some tape in the area of mine and no problems.

Posted: Aug 16, 2021 at 2:04 Quote
Has anyone been successful in making the bikes any quieter? I have put slapper tape on CS, velcro on SS, but it's the cables inside the frame I cannot get to the quiet! Seem to constantly rattle inside the frame, despite the cable stoppers having additional zip ties on them, really annoying!

Ideally I would just put additional foam tubes inside the frame, but it looks like there's expanding foam in the downtube underneath the bottle mount. Any ideas?

Posted: Aug 16, 2021 at 3:09 Quote
Ralston88 wrote:
Has anyone been successful in making the bikes any quieter? I have put slapper tape on CS, velcro on SS, but it's the cables inside the frame I cannot get to the quiet! Seem to constantly rattle inside the frame, despite the cable stoppers having additional zip ties on them, really annoying!

Ideally I would just put additional foam tubes inside the frame, but it looks like there's expanding foam in the downtube underneath the bottle mount. Any ideas?

You can try velcro tape. It should get the job done. Or Pipe Thermal Insulation, just cut it open and then zip tie it.

Posted: Aug 16, 2021 at 5:25 Quote
Dini2k wrote:
Josiffk wrote:

Take spring/air out of ur suspension and check full range of motion and you will see that it is impossible for frame to touch.

Its been discussed on the facebook group many times and seems to be stones getting trapped. Ive put some tape in the area of mine and no problems.

Yes I will do this when I have time, I find it odd myself for it to be touching, but there's a sound of metal on metal coming from somewhere, I've replaced the bushings and the problem still exists. If something is not made right or is twisted then maybe it could touch, who knows how much stress is on the frame when riding.
A rock did cross my mind to be honest, without the sounds 100%...but with the sounds im not so sure. I will do what you have suggested and take a look.

Posted: Aug 16, 2021 at 6:00 Quote
Ralston88 wrote:

Do you got a CF or alu Spindrift?
I have a CF and also put slapper tape on the CS protector, some extra clips for cable management and some tape underneath the cable stoppers to stop them from sliding up the cables too much. My bike is pretty quiet atm Smile

Does anyone have a good alternative for the std cable stoppers? In my case they do a good job to keep the bike quiet but they a just ugly.

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 3:01 Quote
Did anyone put a MegNeg on their bike yet? Is there enough clearance from the rear triangle?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012773
Mobile Version of Website