Spindrift 2021

PB Forum :: Propain Bikes
Spindrift 2021
Posted: Dec 21, 2021 at 4:48 Quote
I prefer AL, I see no benefit to CF.

But my concern is that the SD is not subtle/smoothing enough and more a supportive/poppy bike. But as there are no DH bikes for sale...So I guess I can always buy a DH bike again in 2023, if I still miss DH performance Eek

@monkshed: I have been thinking about that. I'm not sure if I would swap that often, it is quite some more effort to swap compared to just taking another bike out of the van. (I have my bikes completely assembled ride ready in my van).
but at least an option. Probably half of the advantage of a DH bike is the really stiff front end (stiffness of the fork, not the suspension). Maybe you are right and that is the way to go.

Posted: Dec 21, 2021 at 9:58 Quote
Well I chose also al version as it is cheaper and maybe even harder to brake. I spent the saved money to code rsc brakes and Zeb ultimate fork. My bike is mostly for lift assested use. But Cf model would be about 1 kg lighter and pedals that's why better. That is why I recommended it to you. But if weight is not a problem al is way to go. Mine is raw alu with silver decals.

Posted: Dec 21, 2021 at 12:10 Quote
JAK79 wrote:
Well I chose also al version as it is cheaper and maybe even harder to brake. I spent the saved money to code rsc brakes and Zeb ultimate fork. My bike is mostly for lift assested use. But Cf model would be about 1 kg lighter and pedals that's why better. That is why I recommended it to you. But if weight is not a problem al is way to go. Mine is raw alu with silver decals.
My Tyee is ready to ride 16,4kg in AL. So pretty used to heavy bikes by now.

Most difference one can make for ease of pedaling is by choosing different and faster tyres. That matters more than adding a bit more or less weight. I cant feel the difference with my waterbottle full or empty.

I only pedal up during local weekday rides. Otherwise I almost always use a lift or shutlle for at least part of the ride. Actually in Finale Ligure I do the most climbing after only taking one shuttle for the start and then I link maybe another maximum of 1200m of climbing during the day.

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2021 at 12:29 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
I prefer AL, I see no benefit to CF.

But my concern is that the SD is not subtle/smoothing enough and more a supportive/poppy bike. But as there are no DH bikes for sale...So I guess I can always buy a DH bike again in 2023, if I still miss DH performance Eek

@monkshed: I have been thinking about that. I'm not sure if I would swap that often, it is quite some more effort to swap compared to just taking another bike out of the van. (I have my bikes completely assembled ride ready in my van).
but at least an option. Probably half of the advantage of a DH bike is the really stiff front end (stiffness of the fork, not the suspension). Maybe you are right and that is the way to go.

If money was no option I would probably have 2 bikes for that reason. I will get axle adaptors so I can use the same front wheel and probably a DH trigger and cassette and swap to those parts for when I'm racing or doing full bike park, otherwise I will just have it setup with the single crown

Posted: Dec 21, 2021 at 13:13 Quote
FionnS wrote:
Ralston88 wrote:
It's a been a long journey since ordering in October 2020, but finally got my build finished!

Spindrift mullet large, custom sprayed Fox 38, Shimano XTR drivetrain, Hope V4 brakes w/ 220mm rotor front.

photo

Hi, could you confirm which adaptor you used for the V4s on the rear? Assume it is a model L (PM 180 to 200)?
Thanks!

Yep a mount L

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 14:11 Quote
How are the bike deliverys going, are they on time?
Mines is due feb/march.

Posted: Dec 28, 2021 at 11:37 Quote
Im about 76-77kg, so ride ready 80kg and with small camelbak 82kg. Any advice on which spring to choose for a Fox DHX2: 400 or 450? I'm not looking for a stiff set-up, regular 30%-ish SAG.

74-85 kg = 400lb
84-94 kg 450lb

425lb would have been probably perfect.....

Posted: Dec 28, 2021 at 23:56 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
Im about 76-77kg, so ride ready 80kg and with small camelbak 82kg. Any advice on which spring to choose for a Fox DHX2: 400 or 450? I'm not looking for a stiff set-up, regular 30%-ish SAG.

74-85 kg = 400lb
84-94 kg 450lb

I'm at the complete upper end of the 350lb spring, and I'm fine with that.
super supple, and didn't have a harsh bottom out yet.
So I would go for the 400lb spring in your case.

Posted: Dec 29, 2021 at 5:19 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:

74-85 kg = 400lb
84-94 kg 450lb

I`m 90kg ready to ride and ride a 450 on my Rockshox super deluxe ultimate. Sag is around 28% and use all my travel (mainly bikepark riding).
At your weight and sag preference I would go 400.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 7:50 Quote
Once again on the topic of Rock Shox bushings:

This is what Propain said at this regard:
photo

A quick translation is: "RS knows about the problem, new bikes get already better bushings, in case of issues RS will change the shock without problems".

The reality is that you will have to send in your shock to Propain, pay the shipment, wait for RS to reply saying that "this is not a warranty issue....BUT...the shock needs urgent servicing, and shaft replacement" for a total of 215€ + shipping.

Getting the same reply for two different shocks smells like a load of cr@p to me, and it is RS that doesn't want to take responsibility for providing pieces of hardware that widely proved to be not up to task.

Just know this before ordering something.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 9:16 Quote
i have had many problems with Rockshox.The fact is that they cannot force you to do the service if you have the schock less than a year or even less than the recommended (by them)service time.This can only be proven by the receipt.. Of course you have to have a valid warranty (2 years)

My problem was that the lockout lever on my super deluxe had exploded.....
Unfortunately (for them), that made me try DVO and never go back.

I also thing that all LBS can handle warranty issues directly with SRAM.Even though Propain should step up and cover the costs...

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 8:56 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:

74-85 kg = 400lb
84-94 kg 450lb

Honestly when you can afford it I'd own the springs on both sides of my "perfect" rate. Fox sells SLS coils separately and in 425, so if 425 was your ideal, I might have 400, 425, 450. There are times you might short shuttle a bike all day and go no camelbak at all, or times you commit to an epic alps or heli-drop trail and might carry extra food, water, tools, trauma kit, extra derailleur and a SPOT or sat phone. Those extra pounds will really tilt the scale and performance of your suspension in ways that preload and/or compression settings will not help. To have any hope getting back up to proper sag you'll definately need 25 additional lbs. of un-preloaded coil.

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 10:26 Quote
buy the sls springs off a suspension place that can test the lbs of them, i've had many sls springs and they all vary considerably, theres alot of articles online about this.
i wanted a 400 spring for my Marin from a 450, so bought a 400 sls and it provided me less sag than the 450 lol.
Common to see the opposite happen ie feels softer than it is.

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 11:55 Quote
highndry wrote:
Grumposaur wrote:

74-85 kg = 400lb
84-94 kg 450lb

Honestly when you can afford it I'd own the springs on both sides of my "perfect" rate. Fox sells SLS coils separately and in 425, so if 425 was your ideal, I might have 400, 425, 450. There are times you might short shuttle a bike all day and go no camelbak at all, or times you commit to an epic alps or heli-drop trail and might carry extra food, water, tools, trauma kit, extra derailleur and a SPOT or sat phone. Those extra pounds will really tilt the scale and performance of your suspension in ways that preload and/or compression settings will not help. To have any hope getting back up to proper sag you'll definately need 25 additional lbs. of un-preloaded coil.

I decided to try the 400 first, according to calculators I'm expecting to need 425, but that is not an option in the configurator. And then test first to see it's bottom out tendency.

Further I understand what you are thinking, but for me it works the opposite way around. Because of extra gear I normally don't need to adjust my springrate for longer days: If I'm doing lift laps I'm riding light so only wearing normal armor/helmet, and I got my suspension set for those days.
If I'm doing longer daytours with camelback and some extra stuff I don't adjust the suspension for it, cause I'm not charging anyway or much less and a bit more forgiveness is ok then. But then again, I never take more than 3kg backpacks with me, 2l of water is really the absolute max I'm willing to have on my back. My regular camelbak has only a 1,5l reservoir. So those variations are rather small.

noideamtber wrote:
buy the sls springs off a suspension place that can test the lbs of them, i've had many sls springs and they all vary considerably, theres alot of articles online about this.
i wanted a 400 spring for my Marin from a 450, so bought a 400 sls and it provided me less sag than the 450 lol.
Common to see the opposite happen ie feels softer than it is.
I know about this issue, unfortunately I dont know of any shops here that do that. RS springs are nice and cheap. With Fox that annoys me more because those SLS cost so much that they should be QC-ed properly.

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 13:34 Quote
Has anyone tried an angleset in the Spindrift yet? I've just installed a -1 Works headset as the Acros one started creaking loads. Geek fact, it moved the front wheel out by 8mm for anyone interested.

Be keen to get others thoughts, but I find the 64.5 a bit too steep for what the bike is designed for.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013874
Mobile Version of Website