Oval chainring - is it worth switching?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Oval chainring - is it worth switching?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 10:49 Quote
Has anyone switched to one of these? Says that it makes uphills easier. Wondering what kind of feedback is out there.

Thanks in advance,

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 13:37 Quote
I really like it on my XC/light trail bike. I don't know if it makes me any faster, but it feels really good. They feel rounder than round rings, if that makes sense. I'm running the Absolute Black, which is not cheap ($90). Other rings have different ovality and might feel better or worse to you.

For my trail/enduro bike that sees hard use and doesn't get the blingy stuff, I'm running the cheap steel round SRAM rings. I don't have any issues switching back and forth.

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 15:12 Quote
Ive been using absolute black rings on both my hardtails and also got one on my kids bike. Was sceptical at 1st but love it. Find it makes a difference on climbs and power delivery is a lot smoother. Going to get some for the road bike next.

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 16:54 Quote
I started out running oval with absolute blacks on 104 bdc cranks about 4-5 years ago. Apparently they help with knee injuries, hills and allowing you to grab an extra gear on the flats.
I currently have a Raceface oval on my Pivot.
I have ovals on all my kids bikes too.
You likely won't notice anything different..... until you're doing slightly better than you used to.
Anything I can offer to support them would be subjective to others.
So my opinion is, yes, they're worth it. But if you're looking for something earth shattering, buy a new bike instead.

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 17:32 Quote
oregonduck916 wrote:
Has anyone switched to one of these? Says that it makes uphills easier. Wondering what kind of feedback is out there.

Thanks in advance,

10000% absolutely yes it is worth switching.

Even more so if you have been riding for years and have a solid pedal stroke down.

I recently switched from a regular 34t Race Face NW to a 34t Absolute Black Oval ring on my main bike (RM Slayer) and its literally better in every way.

I have been riding the same trails for 14 years and simply switching to an oval ring improved my time on everything.

By far the most noticeable improvement has been on technical climbs, feels like I strapped a motor on my bike.

Important to mention I ride almost every day and would be considered an advanced rider.

Overall, for me personally, there are numerous advantages and literally zero downsides.

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 17:36 Quote
photo

Here is a recent pic with the ring. Zero problems averaging at least 11.5mph on 20 mile rides over a variety of terrain with at least 1300ft of climbing.

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 17:49 Quote
I run the oval on my trail bike, don’t know how much it helps but it does t hurt either. I will say they are more for people who do their climbing in the seated position. If you do a lot of climbing out of the saddle, you may feel like you are blowing through that power zone on your crank rotation too quickly.

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 18:32 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
I run the oval on my trail bike, don’t know how much it helps but it does t hurt either. I will say they are more for people who do their climbing in the seated position. If you do a lot of climbing out of the saddle, you may feel like you are blowing through that power zone on your crank rotation too quickly.

Agree on the seated climbing, I essentially never climb out of the saddle so it was a game-changer.

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 19:19 Quote
I ran an oval for three years on my old bike and thought is made a big difference, but the new bike came with a round chainring so I gave it a go before replacing. Didn’t notice a difference tbh, just as easy on climbs as my oval. I am sticking with round...

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 4:21 Quote
As others have said:

1. Oval rings definitely improve the smoothness of power delivery to the rear wheel compared to a round ring. This really comes in handy during technical/lose climbs.
2. Personally, it feels like I am able to maintain a higher cadence in the same gear with an oval ring. This is anecdotal and I haven't swapped back and forwards to prove this, so possibly just in my head.
3. I went from a 28t regular ring to a 30t oval and feel like the range is identical. Again, anecdotal and just my untested opinion.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 4:47 Quote
I used it and didn’t feel any smoothness, that can literally be accomplished by using the correct gear depending on the grade your riding up. It didn’t make my knees feel any better.

I threw it on my woman’s bike and she didn’t notice anything either and she has a knee injury.

In my shitty little mind the oval is a placebo
I find the proper psi in the rear shock and correct gear correct all of my cadence issues.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 5:00 Quote
I love my oval

running a 32t wolftooth on shimano 11sp 11-42

i made the switch from a round 30t to the oval 32t and actually felt that the oval 32 was better climbing.
i was making up sections that i had struggled with the oval with relative ease.

it may be because i ride flats that the oval helped me so much
i dont do the whole try and pull up with your back foot to "spin Circles"
i just mash pedals so it helped me not to get stuck in the vertical crank position.

FL
Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 5:20 Quote
My 2c
I went for an Absolute Black as my frames limit was a 36th an I really wanted 38, as I had heard an oval was like having 2 extra teeth up front. Also I have heard that Absolute have the perfect oval patented.
First ride. Felt the difference immediately, They definitely have a WAY smoother cadence an definitely put out more power... BUT, I exhausted my self pedaling in the same gears over the same distance. So, next ride I tried being one cog down the cassette an felt a lot better..

They do what they say they do, without doubt but, whether that is 100% beneficial would probably take a lab an some hi tech equipment to analyse.
Though.
I do like mine for the smoother cadence an I do think that equals slightly more power but, over a long seated distance an long seated climbs.I wouldn't bother with one on my DH or play bike as I don't think the benefits would equate

P.S clipped in HT trail bike

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 6:10 Quote
Any feedback on oval rings on techy climbs? My most frequent climbing issue is spinning my back wheel on a slippery rock or root. It's best alleviated be being in a gear higher than I feel I should, but that can be a tougher proposition when fatigued. I wasn't sure if the oval ring would exacerbate the issue because of a fast wheel speed vs. crank speed on the down stroke of the pedal, or if it would improve things because there would be less torque at the back wheel on the downstroke.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 10:23 Quote
Maybe just stay seated, run less air and find a different tire ????

I researched the oval a lot before I bought two and the most I could find find was something like a 2.8% increase in pedal efficiency.

For those that can feel it, Great! I couldn’t so I sold it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011141
Mobile Version of Website