Rockshox 0w-30 suspension oil vs Rockshox 3wt

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rockshox 0w-30 suspension oil vs Rockshox 3wt
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 20:29 Quote
Hey guys,

I Bought some 0w-30 Rockshox suspension oil as it is what is recommended to be used for a lower leg service on my 2014 DPA Pike.

I am looking to do a damper service as well, although in the manual it is recommended to use Rockshox's 3wt shit for the damper and 0w-30 in the lower legs.

I was wondering if it would make any difference or cause any harm to use the 0w30 instead of 3wt in the damper as this shit us expensive and I'd rather only buy one bottle of oil if I can help it.

Also, would I be able to use the 0w30 in my Reverb dropper? Its a shot in the dark but worth asking...

If I could get some insight as to whether this will cause any problem or noticeable differences that would be great!

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 20:44 Quote
0-30 is a much heavier oil than the 3wt. Stick with the 3wt in the damper. Not sure exactly what the reverb oil is. Some sort of hydraulic oil, I guess, but again, might affect it in some way. RS now suggests Maxima fro the damper.
RS is not alone in this, I can't even count how many different Fox oils I have on my self, as they come up with some new "latest/greatest" oil every other year for their forks.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 4:25 Quote
johnovey wrote:
0-30 is a much heavier oil than the 3wt. Stick with the 3wt in the damper. Not sure exactly what the reverb oil is. Some sort of hydraulic oil, I guess, but again, might affect it in some way. RS now suggests Maxima fro the damper.
RS is not alone in this, I can't even count how many different Fox oils I have on my self, as they come up with some new "latest/greatest" oil every other year for their forks.

Yeah, listen to this guy^^^ The oil that goes in the dampers is way thinner than what goes in the lowers.

I imagine putting that 0w-30 in the damper, assuming you don't blow the shim stack or something crazy, would give you crazy amounts of compression and rebound damping. So a fork that is really stiff on compression and really slow on rebound. That sounds like no traction and sore hands to me....

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 6:22 Quote
Thank you very much for the help!

All I can find on Amazon (.ca) in the one litre bottle is 2.5wt RS. Should that be ok to go in the damper?

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 7:02 Quote
Just use the recommended oil man. You are looking for trouble, trying to save a few dollars / euros at the risk of blowing your damper.

Don't take me wrong, I say that in your interest.

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 7:25 Quote
TibZ wrote:
Just use the recommended oil man. You are looking for trouble, trying to save a few dollars / euros at the risk of blowing your damper.

Yeah, you're probably right. Not worth destroying a fork over $40...

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 7:29 Quote
I think so too Wink

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 13:49 Quote
So any 3wt damper oil, of a certain quality, will be ok in the damper. Reverb oil is 2.5wt so I would use the fork damper oil in that too.

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 9:39 Quote
You probably have a bike shop nearby. Ask them if they would sell you enough oil to bleed the damper, if cost is the issue. Just take a small jar with you. Probably be pretty cheap that way. It doesn't take much oil to bleed a damper, if it's a charger damper.

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 11:49 Quote
I'll post this since nobody else did yet:
http://www.peterverdone.com/suspension-fluids/

Oil's actual viscosity can vary even for the same "WT" number, so look for a fork/shock oil close to the spec oil's cSt @40C.

Posted: Apr 19, 2023 at 12:49 Quote
Brandonzamp wrote:
TibZ wrote:

Yeah, you're probably right. Not worth destroying a fork over $40...
These fork oils are all mineral oils. Mineral oils can be from a dinosaur or made synthetically. There's very little difference relative to what a bicycle fork knows.
Engine oil is mineral (can be synthetic) oil with a teeny amount of additives. The additives won't matter.

Pour out whats in the fork and rub it between your fingers. Then try some engine oils between your fingers. If you want more damping (if damping oil), use a thicker oil.

If you want to lube the lowers. Match what your fingers feel.

Using dirty oil will destroy your fork. Put some clean engine oil or motorcycle fork oil in there and save $30.

Posted: Apr 20, 2023 at 2:24 Quote
Youre already saving yourself a load of cash by doing the work yourself so use the recomended oils but shop around as theres widely varying prices. Unless you're planning on giving up biking, buy litre bottles as it works out way cheaper than the small single job bottles.

Posted: Apr 20, 2023 at 3:15 Quote
You are comparing apples and oranges....

the W spec (winter) refers to viscosity of multigrade oils at 2 different temperatures. generally 0 and 100 DegC.

Wt is used to specify the viscosity of damping fluids. plenty of info on the verdone site if you want to geek out.
Also they are developed to meet very different requirements.

Just use a fully synthetic oil in your lowers and a quality moto damper oil in your ....damper.

Changing them often is way more important than anything else, just like the oil in a ICE.

You can mix different Wt damper fluid if you want to play with it but it really is not a substitute for proper tuning.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009578
Mobile Version of Website