Older Bike with High End Components vs Newer Bike with Mid Range Components

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Older Bike with High End Components vs Newer Bike with Mid Range Components
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 16:28 Quote
I am in the process of buying a new bike and have settled on finding an aggressive trail/all mountain bike. Specifically 27.5 wheels and looking in the 150mm travel range. Based on my budget and goals I am leaning towards a used bike either the 2019 Trek Remedy 9.8 or a 2017 Santa Cruz Bronson CC (V2). If you have insight into the differences between the two please share.

I am coming from a 2013 Santa Cruz Nomad with a full XT groupset and 26 wheels, which was very solid until the bike got stolen. I have realized the transition from a seven year old bike to a modern bike comes with quite the bit of updates to the modern geometry style, but I also don't mind a bit slower pedaling to have some fun on the way down. I typically ride in Annandale, Camp Tamarrancho, Santa Cruz, Soquel Demo Forest, and yearly trips to Downieville.

In terms of components the Remedy comes with a solid mid range modern components (Sram GX) but the Bronson (based upon local options) are built with the higher end components of the year (XX1 or X01) but most likely 2 piston brakes and an 11 speed drivetrain. Are the top end components of 3-4 years ago equivalent or better to the mid range of today?

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 4, 2020 at 20:44 Quote
Without knowing much about the geo of those bikes,I’d go newer geo over older high end components any day. Derailers and brakes are easy upgrades, can’t change geo (much)

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 6:00 Quote
Chief2slo wrote:
Without knowing much about the geo of those bikes,I’d go newer geo over older high end components any day. Derailers and brakes are easy upgrades, can’t change geo (much)

I agree. We are in a day where even the mid to lower end stuff is really good. The difference between component groups is mostly weight and a bit of refinement these days.

Also, if you break the rear triangle on that Bronson you're probably SOL. I have a friend that had to have his repaired because Santa Cruz didn't have any stock of the old frame parts left.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 11:20 Quote
Wheels should be a factor. That level may have carbon and hopefully dt swiss 350 hubs or better. If the remedy has low end bontrager or novatecs those suck. Tough to beat new though. Really tough...

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 17:06 Quote
I believe the Remedy has carbon Bontrager wheels and the Bronson has an option on ENVE wheels. I have had ENVE and they stood up to the challenge really well.

I hadn't thought about replacement frame parts, good to keep in mind. comparing the geometry, since they are only a couple years apart they aren't that different, but the remedy is definitely longer and slacker than the last gen bronson.

I recently had a 2018 Pivot Firebird drop into my lap for a steal and stuck debating if another overkill enduro bike used for trail riding is worth it.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 17:11 Quote
I'm currently in the same situation. For me I've decided that an older bike is ok if it has boost wheels, internal cable routing, and somewhat good geo.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 17:13 Quote
That being said the Bronson CC is an insanely awesome bike. I think you'll be happier on the Bronson. But.... what's the suspension spec on the bikes? Suspension is so important

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 17:25 Quote
The Remedy is 160mm/150mm (F/R) and the Pivot is 170mm/170mm.

Both bikes have internally routed cables thankfully (also an upgrade from a 2013 bike). Shops in my are recommend like a 130-140 bike for our local park but i feel like i am a heavy aggressive rider and when demoing a blew threw a 140/130 travel bike

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 17:29 Quote
The extra travel on the pivot is going to cost you mayyyyyyybe 5 minutes on a long climb. Is that worth it? i think so

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 17:51 Quote
Chief2slo wrote:

Yep, the first reply was all we needed; everything since then has just been muddying the waters. The priorities are:

1. Geometry
2. Dropper post stroke
3. Suspension performance
4. Tire performance
5. Saddle and grip comfort
6. Brake performance
7. Everything else

The order becomes interchangeable from #2 - #6.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010027
Mobile Version of Website