Yeti SB 150 rear coil question ?

PB Forum :: Yeti
Yeti SB 150 rear coil question ?
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Oct 3, 2020 at 13:44 Quote
I have a 2019 yeti sb 150. Just bought a DHX2 rear coil shock. I weigh 185lbs and was told to buy 450/ 2.9 in/ 74MM SPRING. I noticed that I had to adjust preload to get proper sag. But spring feels real stiff. I was told to get a progressive spring 450/ 550 to set pre- load correctly and won’t bottom out on big hits. Any suggestion on type of spring I need ?

Posted: Oct 4, 2020 at 6:38 Quote
I weigh 154lbs and run a 400lb spring on an ext storia shock. Shock was setup by mojo rising and is spot on. Not sure if this info will help you.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 10:28 Quote
Im about 180 with gear on running a 450sls spring on mine but shorter 2.4in spring . I've cased some things hard last trip to whistler and never had bad bottom outs , I'd maybe look at a heavier spring or like you said progressive. I haven't had issues with mine so 450 seems to work for now.

Only had a handful of rides with coil once I have more time on it I'll make a judgement call on progressive or just go back to a air shock

Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 21:14 Quote
If this is your first time on a coil it will take a few rides to dial in the shock and spring combo, combined with matching the fork to shock, went thru 4 different coils to find the right rate for me. Sag should only be a few turns (2) from the spring free and rattling loose. Sag with a coil will be slightly different from air. As for a progressive spring, that should be last resort. You have many options on a dhx2, high and low speed comp/rebound use them.

Dont worry about rate, if you think it too hard then it is.

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 at 21:00 Quote
Ok thanks for your input. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Posted: Nov 5, 2020 at 13:09 Quote
Sprindex makes adjustable spring rate coils so you can dial in what feels best for you.

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 at 19:41 Quote
I'm 180lbs and ride a Medium 2021 SB150. I ordered an Avy (Avalanche Downhill Racing) tuned Zoch CR. In talking with Craig (from Avalanche) yesterday, he recommended a 450# Progressive spring for me/my setup.
I should have the shock delivered in the next few days. Can't wait!!!

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 at 21:50 Quote
Rbascon wrote:
I have a 2019 yeti sb 150. Just bought a DHX2 rear coil shock. I weigh 185lbs and was told to buy 450/ 2.9 in/ 74MM SPRING. I noticed that I had to adjust preload to get proper sag. But spring feels real stiff. I was told to get a progressive spring 450/ 550 to set pre- load correctly and won’t bottom out on big hits. Any suggestion on type of spring I need ?

Perhaps a Springdex?

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 9:07 Quote
I run an sb165 which is more progressive than the sb150 but still, I weigh 160lbs and my PUSH came set up with 450lb, I found it a bit harsh so dialled down the damping, experimented witha few springs and ended up fitting a 411lb Ohlins spring. I would suggest fitting a 425lb spring and the Cascade components link that makes the sb150 as progressive as the sb165 and I think you will love it. Otherwise I would look into a progressive spring that starts at 400lb or 425lb depending how couch like you want it. Yeti tends to tune and recommended apring rates on the harsher side, I guess due to all the smooth flow traild in the usa and to maintain their trademark pedal efficiency, but if you want that dh bike plushness you need to drop at least 25lb spring rate below what Yeti recommends.

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 21:19 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
I run an sb165 which is more progressive than the sb150 but still, I weigh 160lbs and my PUSH came set up with 450lb, I found it a bit harsh so dialled down the damping, experimented witha few springs and ended up fitting a 411lb Ohlins spring. I would suggest fitting a 425lb spring and the Cascade components link that makes the sb150 as progressive as the sb165 and I think you will love it. Otherwise I would look into a progressive spring that starts at 400lb or 425lb depending how couch like you want it. Yeti tends to tune and recommended apring rates on the harsher side, I guess due to all the smooth flow traild in the usa and to maintain their trademark pedal efficiency, but if you want that dh bike plushness you need to drop at least 25lb spring rate below what Yeti recommends.

Plenty of trails that aren't smooth in USA still not smooth flow. For instance Colorado out yeti's door is arid, loose over hard, and still plenty rocky, what is adequate grip in UK wet requires a different approach as you describe.

I actually quoted you as I like your recommendations for someone who doesn't want a firmer and more linear ride with coil.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 4:54 Quote
erdawe wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
I run an sb165 which is more progressive than the sb150 but still, I weigh 160lbs and my PUSH came set up with 450lb, I found it a bit harsh so dialled down the damping, experimented witha few springs and ended up fitting a 411lb Ohlins spring. I would suggest fitting a 425lb spring and the Cascade components link that makes the sb150 as progressive as the sb165 and I think you will love it. Otherwise I would look into a progressive spring that starts at 400lb or 425lb depending how couch like you want it. Yeti tends to tune and recommended apring rates on the harsher side, I guess due to all the smooth flow traild in the usa and to maintain their trademark pedal efficiency, but if you want that dh bike plushness you need to drop at least 25lb spring rate below what Yeti recommends.

Plenty of trails that aren't smooth in USA still not smooth flow. For instance Colorado out yeti's door is arid, loose over hard, and still plenty rocky, what is adequate grip in UK wet requires a different approach as you describe.

I actually quoted you as I like your recommendations for someone who doesn't want a firmer and more linear ride with coil.

Tbh it's not for wet grip why I lowered the spring rate, even at 450lb spring rate there is more than enough grip, and muddy slop ect is all down to tyre choice hence why I love using the Shorty here for sll around riding. It's the square edge performance, roots and drops I wanted to have a bit more give, Yeti's can be a bit jarring at stock settings in these situations though granted given how well they pedal at those settings they are plush for lack of pedal bob you get. But I love a dh bike like feel and the only way with a Yeti to acheive that is to run a coil and less spring rate so you are starting to get out of the pedalling zone of the Switch infinity, my bike now pedals about as good as any other decent horst link bike maybe a tad better but soaks up stuff like a mini downhill bike, it i has plenty midstroke support but is buttery over bumps and landings though it has basically no pop and feels pretty dead in that sense. I haven't tested bottom out resitance yet due to covid and nowhere overly challenging to test it but I imagine at 27% progressivity even with the lower spring rate I should have enough given my sb6 was like 5% progressive and that bike was good enough for Rude to win the world champs on.

Basically with the 11/6 initially with 450lb spring switching to climb mode made no noticeable difference to pedalling efficiency only made a harsher ride, but after lowering spring rate 39lbs it actually now comes in usefull as it makes a difference to how the bike pedals whilst still ha ing some give unlike a lokckout but then I can switch it to open and it's pure suspension bliss.

I think Yeti stock acheive a great balance between pedalling and suspension if you don't have a shock you can firm up, but if you do then I recommend dropping spring rate and in the case of the sb150 fitting a Cascade link to bring thr progressivity up to sb165 levels.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv23 0.005642
Mobile Version of Website