Trek slash 2021 vs Giant Reign 2021

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trek slash 2021 vs Giant Reign 2021
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 11:49 Quote
I have been riding a trek remedy since 2011 and decided it's finally time for an update. Since I have used it on a pretty rough and steep terrain sometimes waay out of the comfort zone of an all-mountain 26er with a (much) outdated geometry I have decided I want to go for an enduro 29er. I would still want a bike that can somehow keep at least a little playfullness (i know this can be contradictive given I want a long travel 29er).

After some initial research I am at the moment leaning towards either Trek Slash 8, or Giant Reign 1. I had the oportunity to try Reign 1 2020 and was blown away. But I would probably feel the same about any enduro bike with a modern geometry, since I don't have much to compare it to. I kind of want to stay loyal to trek, since the old remedy has served me really well (minimal maintnance given quite a heavy amount of abuse it suffered). I also visually like the Slash a little more and most of the reviewers are praising it a lot. But things like Fox 38 fork on the new Reign are making me confused again... I am also wondering how does the back end of the Reign with 146mm travel compare to the Slash's 160mm.

I would appreciate any feedback you guys could give me, especially if you had the opportunity to ride both bikes. If you have a suggestion for another bike that would fit my needs, I would also appreciate it a lot.

Thanks Smile

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 20:35 Quote
Ignore the brand loyalty. Buy the Slash because it's an amazing bike.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 5:23 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
Ignore the brand loyalty. Buy the Slash because it's an amazing bike.

I agree with this.I haven't had a chance to ride either of these bikes yet but my next bike will probably be a Slash or Evil Wreckoning. Once I demo both I'll make up my mind. The 2021 Trek Slash was just updated. Every review I've read so far suggests the new Slash is an outstanding enduro bike but still very manageable while climbing and at slower speed. The Slash 8 also has a great build for the price. And don't forget the snack hole in the down tube. To me, it's a no brainer. 2021 Slash.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 5:51 Quote
What about the Ibis Ripmo AF? Seems to be a pretty capable bike, both in descent and in the uphills, and seems to be a good value.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 6:07 Quote
It’s too bad the ripmo is an ugly bike imo.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 6:11 Quote
blakplastic wrote:
It’s too bad the ripmo is an ugly bike imo.

I only like the look of the bike in the M size; the tubes are aligned and the hump of the top tube isn't too big.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 8:36 Quote
WalrusRider wrote:
iliveonnitro wrote:
Ignore the brand loyalty. Buy the Slash because it's an amazing bike.

I agree with this.I haven't had a chance to ride either of these bikes yet but my next bike will probably be a Slash or Evil Wreckoning. Once I demo both I'll make up my mind. The 2021 Trek Slash was just updated. Every review I've read so far suggests the new Slash is an outstanding enduro bike but still very manageable while climbing and at slower speed. The Slash 8 also has a great build for the price. And don't forget the snack hole in the down tube. To me, it's a no brainer. 2021 Slash.

Yeah, I don't think I would be considering Slash, if it wouldn't get a geo update this year. So brand loyalty is just a small factor. Out of all the 2021 bikes Slash looks the most impressive to me. I am just nervous to go for it without testing it, which is not really possible. The demand is so high noone is bothering with test bikes here... I guess I just need more reassurance that it'd be a good fit. Looks like I am getting it Big Grin

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 8:41 Quote
jurassicrider wrote:
What about the Ibis Ripmo AF? Seems to be a pretty capable bike, both in descent and in the uphills, and seems to be a good value.

I am also not a fan of it's looks... It seems like it is a good value, but than again so is slash 8 (even better I think). The only bike in that price range that can compete with slash 8 (component wise) is in my opinion Reign 1. You get a fox 38 fork which is like 1.2k eur...

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 8:56 Quote
The Ripmo AF is not the prettiest but has a great build and rides really well. Slash 8 build is solid though with nothing really lacking considering the price. Don't discount the snack hole in the Slash. I love riding without a pack and the Slash could allow me to do that on most of my rides as long as it wasn't too hot.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 22:53 Quote
Definitely go with the reign. Very well rounded and capable without the issues that treks often have

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 0:25 Quote
the new 2021 trek slash is really good, not sure what above is talking with issues??

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 6:52 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
the new 2021 trek slash is really good, not sure what above is talking with issues??

Due to the nature of the trek linkage, the wishbone often comes loose and I can't even count the number of customers I've had come into the shop with that issue. Also their bontrager parts are very weak and we see many sets of broken bars, wheels, etc

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 13:53 Quote
Will022505 wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:
the new 2021 trek slash is really good, not sure what above is talking with issues??

Due to the nature of the trek linkage, the wishbone often comes loose and I can't even count the number of customers I've had come into the shop with that issue. Also their bontrager parts are very weak and we see many sets of broken bars, wheels, etc

odd, i've owned every slash since the 29er, a remedy and now also have a 2021 rail 9.8 and not had one issue that was trek related... i have friends who have trek's and not had issues, one had issues on his rail with the software/firmware

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 14:32 Quote
I never had an issue with the above mentioned issues (aside from denting the bonty wheels, they are soft) on my old 2018 Remedy. Put about 4000 very hard km on that thing, racing every season and many big rides. Was a great bike.

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 15:36 Quote
i lied and im very sorry, i remember my bonty seat on one of my slashes creaked. again very sorry tup

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006563
Mobile Version of Website