Shock oil leak, normal?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shock oil leak, normal?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 15:14 Quote
I got my bike a couple months ago, I noticed a bit of oil forming around the travel o-ring on the shock after the first couple rides, but thought it must be fairly normal, since it is new. Maybe from when the shock is assembled at the factory. Anyway, it's still got some oil showing up after every time I ride it now. Not forming a drip or anything yet, but is this normal? The bike is a 2017 model, but I bought it new this year, maybe the seals are a little dried out after sitting for so long? The fork doesn't leak at all. It's a RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 shock, by the way. Something to worry about, or is it pretty normal? This is my first full suspension bike, so I don't really have any experience with this kind of stuff.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 20:46 Quote
Small sample size, but I've seen this on every one of these shocks right from the factory. I read that a little amount is normal, but it always seems like an excessive amount on the monarchs.

So i would say it's strangely normal on this shock.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 4:30 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
Small sample size, but I've seen this on every one of these shocks right from the factory. I read that a little amount is normal, but it always seems like an excessive amount on the monarchs.

So i would say it's strangely normal on this shock.

Yeah, the Monarchs all seem to do this. If your Monarch isn't doing this I'd say it needs a service...

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 20:50 Quote
Haha, kind of like an old Chevy truck, if it isn't leaking oil, something is wrong with it!

Ok, thanks for putting my mind at ease. Even though it's not dumping oil out, that shock can't hold much oil to begin with, so any kind of leak seemed a bit unusual to me.

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 4:41 Quote
I had the same shock, same year on my bike. I had the shock professionally rebuilt twice while I owned it and the shock always leaked oil. I forget the name of the shop in Colorado I sent it to, but when I asked them about it they said, “Its normal. When you notice the shock not leaking anymore oil, that’s when it is due for another rebuild”. It wasn’t quite the answer I was looking for, but it turned out to be accurate. Never had any major issues with that shock.

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 7:49 Quote
Monarch can be a bit sensitive to over lubing. From memory I think the air can requires .5ml above & .5ml below the main piston in the air can. You might want to remove, clean and re lube at some point.

When I first did an air can service in mine I thought it was 5ml on top & bottom. Blew and the seals first ride & it was stuck down 20%.

They are easy to work on, like stated above might be a good idea to add a bit of oil or do an air can service after it stops getting wet.

Due to the rather low amount of lube oil it's better to service early rather than running it dry. Air can service is recommended after 50 hours of ride time.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005383
Mobile Version of Website