2021 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2021 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 18:11 Quote
Looks like a solid all mountain 29er. Can’t wait to read the details in English. 150mm frame and 160mm fork seems like an awesome combo

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 5:55 Quote
Interesting. I wonder if that bike has a 32 tooth chainring? The chainstay pivot looks considerably higher up on the seat tube compared to the last generation. I bet the anti squat is much higher now. I’m very curious to read about the suspension kinematics.

O+
Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 8:17 Quote
WalrusRider wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if that bike has a 32 tooth chainring? The chainstay pivot looks considerably higher up on the seat tube compared to the last generation. I bet the anti squat is much higher now. I’m very curious to read about the suspension kinematics.

Despite the rear linkage being different than the enduro, I hope the rear axle path is similar.

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 18:55 Quote
bgoj22 wrote:
WalrusRider wrote:

Despite the rear linkage being different than the enduro, I hope the rear axle path is similar.

I read a review that said that the axle path was modeled off the enduro and was similar

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 20:00 Quote
WalrusRider wrote:

Here’s a video on the kinematics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNdp96YOYsY

O+
Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 22:53 Quote
Was 99% set on picking up a Status....I might have to reconsider after seeing the new Evo

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 9:21 Quote
calicartel wrote:
Was 99% set on picking up a Status....I might have to reconsider after seeing the new Evo

The numbers on this bike are pretty legit. Geo adjustability, solid build kit, and a carbon frame for this price is pretty spot on. Can always upgrade parts if you want!

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 12:38 Quote
jimmythesemi wrote:
calicartel wrote:

The numbers on this bike are pretty legit. Geo adjustability, solid build kit, and a carbon frame for this price is pretty spot on. Can always upgrade parts if you want!

I was thinking about building out a Status but my build would cost about $4k. I'd rather get the new Stumpjumper Evo Expert build for a bit more. Swap a couple things from another bike and I'm good to go.

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 13:04 Quote
I'm seriously tempted and I wasn't even in the market. Adjustable geo, amazing sizing options, frame storage, and a mullet option. That's all the boxes for me.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 13:21 Quote
$4K for a carbon frame with SLX build + adjustable geo + in frame storage isn't just a good price, it's exceptional. Specialized has been inching towards boutique pricing in the last couple of years, so this is a surprising 180.

I have serious doubts about how well this bike climbs, however; it is Horst link after all. It seems like rear suspension 'small bump compliance' is actually code for 'climbing sucks.'

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 13:35 Quote
mtb1101 wrote:
$4K for a carbon frame with SLX build + adjustable geo + in frame storage isn't just a good price, it's exceptional. Specialized has been inching towards boutique pricing in the last couple of years, so this is a surprising 180.

I have serious doubts about how well this bike climbs, however; it is Horst link after all. It seems like rear suspension 'small bump compliance' is actually code for 'climbing sucks.'

I agree with you, the bang for the buck is exceptional. Pretty stoked to see 4-piston brakes too... many of the bikes around this price point come with two-pistons.

The Horst is definitely not the most efficient climbing but after watching the video on the suspension kinematics from Specialized it is clear they've made some climbing conscious decisions - hopefully they translate to a decent climbing platform.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 14:05 Quote
jimmythesemi wrote:
mtb1101 wrote:

I agree with you, the bang for the buck is exceptional. Pretty stoked to see 4-piston brakes too... many of the bikes around this price point come with two-pistons.

The Horst is definitely not the most efficient climbing but after watching the video on the suspension kinematics from Specialized it is clear they've made some climbing conscious decisions - hopefully they translate to a decent climbing platform.

The anti-squat levels on this bike are over 100% at sag and a bit further into the travel. It should climb perfectly well. In the past I suspect Specialized engineered lower anti-squat because they were worried about pedal kickback. At this point I think many people have realized pedal kickback isn't that big of a deal.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 14:58 Quote
Every time I think I've touched on the key high points someone else mentions three of four more. Specialized is burning the candle on both ends.

But none of that matters if this doesn't perform on the ups as well as the downs. This is still a trail bike after all. I suspect it cannot compete with the most efficient pedaling platforms. I hope I am proven wrong.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014171
Mobile Version of Website