PB Forum :: Norco
2021 Norco Shore
| Next Page
Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 12:51 Quote
https://linktr.ee/AstonMTB looks like a huge fail

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 13:21 Quote
Frontrange wrote:
https://linktr.ee/AstonMTB looks like a huge fail

His review videos are interesting although he spends a lot of time bitching about the same thing over and over. I own the Shore, although I built mine up from the frame. He keeps bitching about dropping the chain because the version he's testing wasn't spec'd with a narrow-wide ring. That's obviously a stupid spec from Norco (maybe supply chain related?), but to spend three videos on it seems like beating a dead horse. Just swap the chainring and be done with it. I haven't experienced the bolt backing out issue he has; I have my own set of complaints about the bike, although that's pretty universal to every one I've owned.

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 17:42 Quote
any one else lose their chain frequently?

I have been having an issue with my bike dropping chains. I have a MRP G4 guide, with the lower pulley. my bike is a Norco Shore Park.I keep having the chain drop off the idler. I have no idea why. i keep it adjusted as tight as i can to the pulley.

I am using a X01 7SPD group, 11speed chain as SRAM recommends. The chain is not too long. TheĀ  short cage X01 is well sprung and provides tension. The G4 gives the 36 tooth narrow wide ring a lot of wrap into the teeth. Still, I keep losing the chain from the top.

Any advice or insight would be really appreciated.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 5:29 Quote
I've never lost my chain, but I'm using a narrow wide chain ring. Sounds like the Shore Park didn't come with a narrow wide stock for some reason (supply chain issue?). Have you switched out your chainring for a narrow wide?

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 7:28 Quote
I have I have a 36t 3mm offset sram ring with good teeth on it. I am wondering if the top guide has narrow wide teeth

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 9:27 Quote
Can anyone help me out I'm based in the UK and have been looking for a main pivot bolt for my 2 week old shore I'm not a happy guy as I'm just being tossed around by both norco and the place I bought the bike from I've had less than hour actually riding the bike so so far it's not the bike to buy

Posted: Feb 9, 2022 at 22:04 Quote
dustyquail wrote:
Eying the new shore, anyone here spend some time on one? I want it as a dedicated park bike that I could occasionally climb it to the local chunky descents when I feel like it

Does it feel more DH plush? or more like a burly enduro? Kazmier said it felt more supportive than plush but I want another opinion

I got my Shore A1 (Large) Frameset in late in the season. Only had about 7 rides on it - 4 of them were bike park.
I had mine setup as a Bike Park bike.

200mm Boxxer World Cup
190mm RockShox Ulti Coil (225x75)
Saint Brakes
Atlas Cranks
Flow EX3 Wheels with Hydra Hubs
Title MTB Cockpit

But I also had a 12speed XT Drivetrain and a OneUp 180mm dropper.

I was actually able to pedal it.. tough as it was.. I enjoyed it.

It wasn't plush actually. It was way more supportive than I had expected.
I bought a sprindex coil spring to allow me to play with lower spring rate - through to stiff spring rate - for the park hits.

I ultimately sold it (parted it out) to go with something more versatile. Something I could trail ride more and bike park less. (Wishful thinking on my part, that I'd get way more bike park days in during the season.

Hey, if anyone owns a Shore and wants to bump up their rear travel.. Let me know. I still have the rear shock to make it happen.

Cheers,
-Jeff

Posted: Feb 23, 2022 at 23:20 Quote
So for anyone intrested.

My shore frame has had all the issues Paul Ashton described.

Upon watching his video I gave all my bolts a torque check. They were all loose and completely devoid of locktite. So that was step one. Locktite and torque everything, then add witness marks.

Next despite running a narrow wide ring and a chain guide from MRP, I dropped my chain frequently. As the chain always dropped off the upper idler pulley. I looked there first. The shore idler is not narrow wide profile. I checked the spec and forbidden sells an almost identical pulley with narrow wide teeth. When it came in I installed it and it worked flawlessly. They are the same circumference and tooth count (16teeth)

The idler chain guide always seemed to have come loose when he chain came off. So I spent some time trying to address any shortcomings
I added some ashesive sand paper between the idler Chan guide and the frame to help keep it place. The chain guide bolt additionally needed locktite.

Finally and in a last ditch effort to limit the chains effect of the idler. I purchased a STFU. I dint want to debate the merits of this device for silencing chain slap. It does keep the chain from moving as much. Which will hopefully help keep it on all the damn cogs in the system.

I was having extremely frequent and frustrating issues with the chain dropping. So far it seems to be remedied.

Posted: Mar 1, 2022 at 7:15 Quote
I've just started riding mine (a2 version). Initial thoughts:
Spec is pretty spot on for a non bling version. Nothing I don't need to have a great time. I certainly also appreciate the island boi paint job.

This bike is f*ckING LOUD. I do actually also own an orange, but the cable rattle in the top tube here is next level. Also, the chain slap and frame protection have self-evacuated themselves from the situation somehow, which doesn't help. VHS tape kit has saved the day there! Also...I wrapped the seat stay with mastic tape (dunno why there was nothing there in the first place as that's where the majority of the slap occurs on this bike).

Spares availability? Seems non existent. How can you spec a frame with wear parts and not have them available for retail??? (Eg bash guards, shuttle guard, and especially the dang idler)

Chain line:
The idler runs onboard a mm or so of the boost chain line. I don't know why this is the case but it seems problematic. It causes pretty extreme wear on one side of the front chain wheel. So...maybe this is why the weirdo e13 crank is specd with an 'adjustable chain line?'. I dunno...seems like a manufacturing tolerance oversight to me.... I also believe this to be a contributing factor to my chain breaking on my second ride. (The chain got offline and rode up one of the teeth on the chainring, snapping it when force was applied). Maybe this is also why Paul Aston kept dropping his chain??

Riding:
Killer fun! I thought the size was gonna trip me up (I'm just shy of 6' riding an xl), but it manages to strike a good balance between play and plow. I'm somewhat lucky to be well served by the suspension setup, since you can't easily tune the compression damping on the fork. I feel like I have had to adjust my approach most in tight burns/ruts the most. It take a little force to stuff this thing into switchbacks. It also is way more playful then the numbers and reviews let on. I thought this girthy beast would be a handful to get off the ground and or whip around...but that can't be further from the truth. Oh and it climbs well. Yes, really well. This is not just a DH bike with a dropper and big cassette. It's actually comfy to climb on. Okay, so I'm not your number one Strava slayer type, but the thought that kept creeping back in was "I do not feel held back" while climbing. Is it heavy, duh. Is it a handful in tight rooty switchbacks, sure. Is it easy to sit and spin up a moderate climb trail or any gravel road, yup.

I'm beyond stoked to get on with riding this thing. I just need to figure out the chain line business and sort out a line on a spare pulley and I'll be chipper.

Posted: Mar 1, 2022 at 7:32 Quote
So far, I've reached out to NSB and some other small manufacturers that make idlers for other brands and their comments have been that the existing pulleys and aftermarket options are not compatible with Norco.

So... obviously I'm just going to ignore that and buy a few to see for myselfWink

**edit: sounds like i missed the last post, and will DEFINITELY try to find a NSB pulley (along with a bolt re-check Smile

Posted: Mar 1, 2022 at 12:07 Quote
for the record and to separate it from the other text in my other post.

the alloy idler and the Stainless steel NSB idler for FORBIDDEN bikes available from them works on my shore. they are the same bearing, you reuse the stock spacer. they are all 16tooth. chain retention with the NSB has been really good.

hope this helps.

my frame shipped without any of the frame protection and Norco got it to me eventually. their customer service software seems to loose messages. the people reading and helping you are very good. their system seems to be the problem.

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007277
Mobile Version of Website