2021 Norco Shore

PB Forum :: Norco
2021 Norco Shore
FL
Posted: Apr 25, 2023 at 11:44 Quote
Pierrevtke wrote:
I just had a conversation with Norco Customer Service on their Live chat Platform and told me they are releasing a new designed Idler pulley soon to address the issue (~June 2023) and asked me to contact my orginal dealer to get it from them.

Let's see how they redesigned it ...

Just adding narrow wide tooth profile would be a big improvement

Posted: Apr 25, 2023 at 11:46 Quote
artistformlyknowasdan wrote:
Since day one ran the MRP SXg lower bash guide. Additionally added some adhesive Velcro (soft side) on the interior of guide. Since I added Velcro no dropped chains, prior just once. This bike sees mostly park laps at Purg and Angel Fire plus shuttles. I saw the NSB idler and think it’s a good idea, when my is worn that’ll likely be the replacement

I'm hitting the original Norco alloy bash guide quite a few times during my rides, how is it with the MRP SXg since the only have 32t-36T option ?

Posted: May 5, 2023 at 15:50 Quote
Pierrevtke wrote:
artistformlyknowasdan wrote:
Since day one ran the MRP SXg lower bash guide. Additionally added some adhesive Velcro (soft side) on the interior of guide. Since I added Velcro no dropped chains, prior just once. This bike sees mostly park laps at Purg and Angel Fire plus shuttles. I saw the NSB idler and think it’s a good idea, when my is worn that’ll likely be the replacement

I'm hitting the original Norco alloy bash guide quite a few times during my rides, how is it with the MRP SXg since the only have 32t-36T option ?

I am also looking for a smaller bash guard. The stock one is huge and since I pedal all my climbs I run a 30 tooth chainring. Dont need that big of a guard. I was looking at the OneUp Bash Guard since I have spare 28-30tooth pieces from my 2 other Oneup Chain guides with bash guards. Get more claerance.
photo

FL
Posted: May 5, 2023 at 21:19 Quote
I really like the MRP sxg. I have the one up bash on my evil and it’s good but the sxg definitely provide a lot more chain security without any additional drag. It’s has 2 setting for different chainring sizes. I’ve ran both 30t and 32t and easy to adjust so that’s it’s just below the ring, maximizing clearance. Given the option I’d definitely recommend the sxg over the oneup

Posted: May 8, 2023 at 20:43 Quote
Im sure the MRP sxg would be a better option but got a great deal on a E thirteen LG1 chainguide/bashguard and wanted to give it a try.

It's been really good so far, no chain dropping. It has some dragging from the chainguide iddler but didn't affect my usual climb routine, it felt similar.

I also added a flat rectangular piece of plastic inside the upper guide, glued it and added ducttape to make it nice and safe .Rolleyes

photo
photo
photo

FL
Posted: May 9, 2023 at 1:28 Quote
Feels crazy that Norco still hasn't find a safe way to fix all of this chain stuff.

Posted: May 9, 2023 at 19:23 Quote
Padded wrote:
Feels crazy that Norco still hasn't find a safe way to fix all of this chain stuff.

They are releasing a new designed upper idler pulley around June from what I have been told by one of the customer service rep over the chat.

But yeah I agree it's unbelievable to have this kind of issue on a 7k+ Bike specially from Norco...

For the same price range:
Norco Range has a great high pivot system
coming with nice upper idler pulley and a custom MRP Sxg chain guide... Also the Shore park is coming with a LG1 chainguide after AstonMTB complained about the issue on his YouTube video.

O+
Posted: May 28, 2023 at 14:12 Quote
Regrading chain drops:
I've taken my Shore out for a few test rides. On a ~20 ft. jump that I over-shot, I managed to drop the chain at the idler. I already have the new plastic guide from Norco, but the chain still slipped by on the outside of the idler. Without the little plastic tool Norco provides, it's almost impossible to fix trailside. I really hope this new idler pulley releases soon. The chain guide upgrades took a very long time to arrive from Canada, so I'm not too optimistic on Norco's timeline for US customers.

As for performance, the bike kicks ass. Very supportive geo. Surprisingly playful and reasonable to climb, considering it's a 40lb bike with a super long wheelbase. These are proper freeride machines.

Here's mine:
photo

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2023 at 17:28 Quote
Chain dropped off idler on Norco Shore. Has happened on 3 5 rides...
Whelp, first time at the bike park. Blue flow trail on my 4th lap was the derailment point. Even added mastic tape to the inside of the guide. @norcobicycles, the parks are already dry and dusty Frown

Posted: Jul 1, 2023 at 19:11 Quote
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I ended up changing directions and dumping the Shore for a Spire after seeing all of the issues they're having. Nothing sucks harder than a new bike that has issues from day 1. Reliability was near the top of my list for things I wanted from my next big bike.
10 hard park days in so far this summer and zero issues/ extra maintenance required on the tranny. She rips too.

Posted: Jul 2, 2023 at 6:16 Quote
With regards to the idler chain dropping issues. I own the current generation Range and from a brief look at the design of the Shore chain guide vs the Range I believe that the main issue with the chain guide is that the 'ceiling' of the guide is positioned too high above the top of the chain, giving enough room for the chain to move up over the teeth of the idler before hitting the 'ceiling' of the guide. I have read about the workarounds with the use of tape and plastic but these seem more focused on the side walls rather than reducing the gap between the top of the guide and the chain.

Another solution could be to use the Range's 18 tooth idler instead of the Shore's 16 tooth, this would bring the chain closer to the 'ceiling' of the guide and reduce the gap enough to not let it jump the teeth. With regards to compatibility, both idlers look very similar leading me to believe the Range is just using a slightly upscaled design meaning it should just slide on.

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2023 at 9:44 Quote
Update: Norco just reached out and confirmed their new idler kits have arrived - Shoreside, should we call it? I should have something here in the next week or two, which is good!

From my experience, the chain doesn’t have a lot of room to move from the idler in the radial direction. My two failures have resulted in the chain leaping off axially and bending the guide out of the way (perhaps from me pedaling after it dislodges, or just chain growth). This is likely due to the chain angle from the smallest cog to the idler.

I’m really hoping they implement a narrow-wide idler that’s made from CrMo or similar. The aluminum idlers wear out from pedaling very quickly, from what my LBS told me.

Posted: Jul 5, 2023 at 21:19 Quote
I replaced my idler with a narrow wide from forbidden in stainless steel.

It didn't stop the chain dropping but it was worth a go.

I rode my shore at bootleg canyon in NV and had nothing but problems.

I agree with you that the chain falls off the idler axially.

The new plastic cover doesn't fill me with confidence.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2023 at 20:00 Quote
I have an MRP chain guide with the lower roller wheel and a non narrow wide chaining and have had no issues with it dropping yet. Adds a bit of drag but its set up as a DH bike so who cares

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2023 at 11:46 Quote
TurboDonuts wrote:
Update: Norco just reached out and confirmed their new idler kits have arrived - Shoreside, should we call it? I should have something here in the next week or two, which is good!

From my experience, the chain doesn’t have a lot of room to move from the idler in the radial direction. My two failures have resulted in the chain leaping off axially and bending the guide out of the way (perhaps from me pedaling after it dislodges, or just chain growth). This is likely due to the chain angle from the smallest cog to the idler.

I’m really hoping they implement a narrow-wide idler that’s made from CrMo or similar. The aluminum idlers wear out from pedaling very quickly, from what my LBS told me.

Well, bad news. A strike at the port in BC has delayed the delivery to mid-August. I may need to get creative... I'm thinking a CNC'd Delrin idler guide (maybe just the outer plate?) would be a fun, overkill solution. Need to improve upon the existing guide geometry.

In the meantime, time to pack the tiny T25 Torx tool that Norco supplied with the v1 "fix kit".

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024932
Mobile Version of Website