Best rear break for Dirt Jumping

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Best rear break for Dirt Jumping
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 19:38 Quote
Looking for another rear break for my dirt jump bike, preferably hydraulic. I have a mechanical disc break right now and it works fine for dirt jumps but I also ride a lot of street and park and do lots of manuals, fufanus, some trials riding, and thats where I find my break slipping and not having enough power. If anyone has any suggestions pleas let me know!

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 9:23 Quote
I have a Sram level t on the rear that works pretty well for the price, but switching to any mid range hydraulic brake should help you with stopping power

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 12:34 Quote
FALLENover wrote:
I have a Sram level t on the rear that works pretty well for the price, but switching to any mid range hydraulic brake should help you with stopping power

Are they easy to modulate? I always have a finger on my break, and on other hydros I have accidentally squeezed the break just slightly and they completely stop me.

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 12:47 Quote
I had the guide Ts on my rampage L team but found them pretty on off. Threw on a guide RE and just feels a lot better.

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 12:59 Quote
SubalaMtb wrote:
FALLENover wrote:

Are they easy to modulate? I always have a finger on my break, and on other hydros I have accidentally squeezed the break just slightly and they completely stop me.

They were stock on mine but worked out the box pretty well I’m able to use small amounts of brake and lock my wheels up if needed, I don’t think there is much adjustment to them Though but they’re good value for money

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 20:51 Quote
700-pirate wrote:
I had the guide Ts on my rampage L team but found them pretty on off. Threw on a guide RE and just feels a lot better.
I'm not sure about of the Guide REs because of the nob or dial on them. Just because if I miss a barspin and my hand grabs the break, that nob is gonna hurt when I land on it

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 1:14 Quote
I’m also looking for a new rear brake for my DJ. I have guide re on my full sus trail bike and once they bed in they are excellent. I find I can modulate pretty nicely with them too. Hadn’t considered the dial on the lever to be a problem, but I’m not up to bar spin level anyway. I’ve been holding off because of cost of replacement if I break it really, my bike takes a fair bit of abuse as I’m not very good!

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 2:18 Quote
workshybum wrote:
I’m also looking for a new rear brake for my DJ. I have guide re on my full sus trail bike and once they bed in they are excellent. I find I can modulate pretty nicely with them too. Hadn’t considered the dial on the lever to be a problem, but I’m not up to bar spin level anyway. I’ve been holding off because of cost of replacement if I break it really, my bike takes a fair bit of abuse as I’m not very good!

Thats true about the biking taking hits and stuff. I should probably not spend to much on the brake because my dj takes a lot of abuse too. I'm not a complete beginner but but I feel like no matter the skill level, your bike will get thrown around regardless

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 14:35 Quote
Shimano XT with metallics if you want power and reliability.

You can run an Avid bb7 or even better, trp spyre MTB with metallics if you don't ever want to have to bleed the system and still want power with minimal fade. Trust me I've been running a trp spyre CX rear brake through a mech gyro and a BMX lever for over two years it's as good or better in terms of reliability to a lot of hydro setups.

Especially the guide. I never even bothered to fix my seized guide rs. I wasn't impressed in the first week when it actually worked.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 12:04 Quote
Well if your budget can handle it get some Hope Tech E4's. I do a lot of stoppies and hop back on rear wheel etc on my trail bike just farting around and these brakes lock like a hammer without feeling like you're gonna brake something while you're hanging on to the lever.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 21:03 Quote
I run a shimano deore. Can order online for around $115.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 21:07 Quote
I also had issues with my guide brakes I did change them out with the warranty and still had issues. I run the codes on my MTB and they are nice

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 at 21:20 Quote
Travcole wrote:
I also had issues with my guide brakes I did change them out with the warranty and still had issues. I run the codes on my MTB and they are nice
What was wrong with your guide breaks and what model?

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 20:55 Quote
They were the earlier model guides the ones that had issues with the diaphragm. I think they were around 2017 our 2018 models I believe they have corrected the issues with the newer model guide brakes

Posted: Nov 5, 2020 at 18:40 Quote
Well I think I am going to buy either Sram Level Ts or Magura MT4s. Not sure yet which one. Obviously the Maguras are $40/$50 more so I'm doing some research. If you guys have anything to say about those brakes let me know! Thanks

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011515
Mobile Version of Website